iPad 2 is launched...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Thug, Mar 2, 2011.

1. faded

faded Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 OC
    ....except you can do a hell of a lot more with a PC.

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You buy a PC knowing what you can do with it, and what you're going to do with it. You buy an Ipad knowing what you can do with it, and what you're going to do with it. My point wasn't about what you can and can't do with the devices, they are different devices and do have different uses now. As far as uses go, you can't really compare a tablet like this to a full desktop PC.

3. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    lol yeah...

5. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Lol the iPad 2......

The original iPad cost almost $900 for the highend model (3G + wifi + 64GB) now, not even a year later, it's being replaced by the same overpriced junk.

Nothing Apple makes today is really worth buying if you think about it. I mean it's obvious we have Apple fanatics on the forum here (the kind that would buy cow dung for $500 because it had the Apple logo), but even the iPods (which I use to like...a lot) are going downhill.

I mean the only iPod worth buying anymore is the iPod Classic, and that current gen has been around for almost four years... (which is weird since Apple re-releases their products every 10-12 months)

The 4th gen iPod Shuffle is too small and has a pathetic amount of storage (2GB).

The 6th gen iPod Nano is just a Shuffle with more storage and a touch screen; novel idea, but way too small and the storage amount could/should be larger. (Would rather prefer the 2nd or 4th gen Nanos I've had in the past)

The 4th gen iPod touch is just an iPhone without a cell radio, and I don't like iPhones, full stop.

Now I am an iPod fan, but their current lineup just sucks, I mean I'm definitely not going to buy a Zune or anything like that.

Now you may be wondering why this rant, well it's because I like iPods and I like the iTunes software to use with them. I always bought Nanos (got the 2nd gen day of release and the 4th gen day of release) because they were just the right size. Now the Nano is the same size of the shuffle and the Touch and the Classic are too large...nothing in between :bang:

Oh and /endrant

6. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I can just imagine how stupid one would look taking a picture with the iPad using the integrated camera.

7. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The original actually went up to $699.99, the same pricing as this Ipad. It's not the same either, the screen is probably one of the only things that's the same. But new a5 cpu, and this being one of the few dual core tablets out there.
    It's not being a fanatic when you like the product. Believe it or not, people buy Apple products because they do work, and they're happy with it. I also disagree with your statement on Ipods. The Ipod Classic has 160gb of storage, there aren't too many media players out there that have space like that or quality. Ipod Touch is getting better and better everyday, thanks to having internet support, and an app store with polished apps. Zune doesn't have a working marketplace yet, and as much as I like Android, apps on Android don't have as much variety as the app store on Ios.
    I will admit, the nano seems a bit too small and weird, but other than that rest of the Ipod line holds up pretty well. And while they "re-release" their products, they also update their products at the same time.

The 4th gen Shuffle also doesn't have a screen, and is made to be small.

Agreed on the size, but the Nano tops up to 16gb of storage. A lot of media players that size only go up to 4-8gb.

Because the touch is an iphone without a cell radio, is one reason why it's selling so much and has so much support.

Ehh, zune isn't doing too hot right now anyway...:D I liked mine, but I wanted an app store with my media player.

Touch has gotten thinner since release, the Classic has been the same size since the first Ipod Video series.

8. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Cartman, you spammed my iPhone 4 thread, now you are spamming my iPad thread with your hatred and name calling.

If you dont like either of these then move one. No is forcing you to read it or post.
    Leave it for those who enjoy our products.

Oh, and that doesnt mean we are fanatical. I am not childish enough to be loyal and fanatical. As soon as something better comes along i will buy that, but in the mean time the iPhone 4 is the best out there for my needs.

I am still unsure which (if any) tablet to go for. The others are good at somethings, but i like the quality and how thin the iPad is, but still undecided.

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well look at it like this...

As much as I like Android, Android does not have the games that Ios has. If games aren't important to you, then any Honeycomb tablet or the Ipad is a good buy.

For flash, if you just want flash for flash videos and not games, then you can do both Honeycomb or Ios. Honeycomb has Adobe flash support, and you can download skyfire in Ios for flash video support.

10. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Dual core is a nice feature, but how well is it supported by the apps out there? And how's the battery life?

To be honest, that's the reason I always bought iPod Nanos. They were the perfect size for me and they just always worked. And the 160GB of storage on the Classic is nice and to be completely honest, when I do finally convince myself to buy a new iPod (since my old one has disappeared) it will be a Classic. Unless they fix the Nano and go back to the rectangle shape of old.

True, but quite a few of the "updates" are disappointing. They tried to change the shape on the 3rd gen Nanos, that disappointed me, and then they tried to change the shape on the 6th gen Nano. Why can't they just stick with the original small rectangle shape? Is it so hard?

I understand that, but the new Nano has 8GB or 16GB of storage AND a screen on it, where as the shuffle is about the same size, but has no screen and only 2GB. I mean 2GB isn't a lot of room, and I see no reason for it to not be at least 4GB or 8GG.

True, you do have a point, and I will admit for the features and size of the new Nano you do get quite good value. I mean the 16GB Nano is only $179.

I guess you have a point yeah. My friend got a 64GB 3rd gen Touch and it's pretty nice, but it just feels too fragile in my opinion. I don't know it's just not for me.

To be honest, I much prefer an iPod or a Zuno over any other media player because it's one thing that Apple does very well. The problem is that Apple tries to mess around too much with the iPods. The Nano has changed shape three times over six gens. And four of those gens were the normal rectangle shapes. Why must they change it so much?

Very true, my friends Touch (mentioned earlier) is very thin considering how much it does.

You should check this link out <--Click

Well what popular games does the Apple App Store have that Android doesn't? The only one that I know of is the Rock Band game (which I quite liked and wish it was on Android)

I thought Apple denied the Skyfire app? I didn't know it was still on iOS. Learn something new everyday :D

Personally I think all new smartphones should have a form of Flash Player available to them. I like being able to browse full websites and be able to view videos. It's just the convenience of it

11. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I did, and its nice to know that not all of us are adults on here. There is still room for childish behaviour. You still insist on the name calling though, which i thought were against forum rules. Maybe a mod can clarify?

Here is YOUR link...

[​IMG]

Try to get back on topic please (the iPad).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  12. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No platform that was multicore had complete multicore support at first. As far as battery goes, the battery is rated about the same as the first ipad.
    Sadly they won't....I thought the nanos were fine the way they were before.
    The nano is one of those devices that are ever changing unfortunately. As technology grows, and the ability to create the same technology and put it in a smaller body, that's what the nano is.

Is it really? Man, if I wasn't looking for a media player with apps or didn't have my Evo, I would go with that then.
    It's the aluminum backing they use, that's the one thing I wish Apple didn't use with their Ipods.
    Like I said, technology changes at a rapid pace. Plus, as much as I like Apple, Apple is also a company that appeals to the general public. A lot of people wanted a small media player, but still have a screen. Shuffle is kind of in the same boat, design change after design change.
    Tons of them! :D Square Enix has their line of games, their FF ports(Which honestly all of them you can emulate on Android easily) Id has Rage on Ios, there's the one ue3 game that's pretty cool on ios, Capcom fully supports Ios which there are tons of games from Capcom, but one game that has kept me entertained for awhile. Real Racing 2. :D

Oh yeah, it's a lot smoother than what Safari is for me too.
    Same here, that's why I went with Android for my phone. Honestly, if I didn't have my Iphone I use as an Ipod, I would probably get an Archos internet tab 43. On it's own it doesn't have Android Market support, but it does when it's rooted. WebOS 2.0 has full 10.1 flash support, Symbian is kind of a dying platform but I believe it has some sort of flash support, Android has had flash support since 2.2, and has had flash lite on certain devices since 1.5, WP7 is suppose to get flash soon. The only reason why Ios doesn't have flash support, is because of a grudge Steve Jobs has with Adobe. That's why he's going the html 5 route, which HTML 5 can outdo flash. Maybe in 20 years or so, but so much can happen to software and technology in general in 20 years.

13. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    So show me, with links, where I was calling people names? I don't remember this...

And the reason I provided that link was obvious, maybe you should fill it out then take a chill pill.

I know that, I was just curious if any apps support it yet or if you've heard of apps that are going to start supporting it soon. Good on the battery though.

I thought they were fine the way they were too, but Apple insists on changing things. And i understand the point to make it smaller, but they need a mid sized area. I mean they have the Touch and the Classic that are their "Large" iPods, then you have the Nano and the Shuffle which are "Very Small". There's no in between, and I don't like large or small, I like the middle iPod, which is why I always got Nanos.

I'll still hope for them to go back (as they've done it in the past) but you never know with Apple...

Yeah they're that cheap, I was surprised. I remember paying $220 (or was it $240) for my 16GB 4th gen Nano. The Nanos are dirt cheap right now considering what you get. I'm itching to get back into iPods and I'm just iffy about the size of the new Nano and how well the screen works. Maybe I'll head into the local Best Buy and see if there is one I can use hands on to see if I end up liking it.

Agreed. I also wish they'd use more durable paint too. I'm pretty easy with my iPods, but the paint always ends up scratched or chipped.

You're right, but I don't hate Apple, nor do I love Apple. It's an inbetween feeling. And I feel for those people that wanted small + screen, but they could have just introduced another version. Left the Nano in the rectangle form it should be in and came out with something like ShuffleScreen or whatever they want to call it.

Really? Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. I didn't know I was missing out on that many games....Maybe I should look at the 4th gen Touch and see what that's like (haven't used it yet). We'll see what happens to what iPod I end up with. Really I'm not in love with any of them so whatever ends up being the best deal I'll pick up.

Really? Hmmm, I'll have to let my friend know that. He hates Safari on his Touch.

Well if and when you get the Archos tab let me know what it's like, I've been eyeing it and it looks pretty good. And rooted devices FTW. I thought Nokia ended any further production of Symbian after they went with Microsoft.

Well Steve Jobs should get the thorn out of his ass and make amends. As it stands currently, more things use Flash than HTML5. Sure HTML is the future, but using it on cellphones which live in a world of Flash and will be outdated in a couple years, is just dumb.

14. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    REALLY? :O can you name the FF games they have in the app store? I was thinking about getting one of the old ipods with 160 or 320gb but I'll get a Touch just to be able to play FF xD

15. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Here you go...

So, not only do you call people who you dont even know 'fanatics', you then insult them further with your next comment about 'buying cow dung'.

BTW, how is it 'obvious'?

Then you throw another insult to me with your link.

I am just waiting for my next one off you.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'll have to take a look for you, but like I said you can easily emulate them on android.

17. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    How is it obvious? Because behind every rock lies an Apple fanatic, they're everywhere...especially on technology forums. And I never mentioned a single person, nor did I target you specifically. When I actually do insult a specific person and call them something horrible, then you can complain. Until then you should take a chill pill.

18. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ok, you said that they were on THIS thread, who, where?
    You obviously know them as you said its obvious.

And behind every person who 'likes' Apple products is an Apple hater/spammer waiting to push their opinions down peoples throats and not let them enjoy the things they like.

I never said you were aiming it at anyone in particular, just you general attitude.
    Everyone of these threads turn into a spamming thread. I dont know if its jealousy or just hatred, but other similar product threads dont gom the same way.

Perhaps if the Apple haters werent so opinionated it wouldnt be too bad.

And i think you did target me. I started the thread, and you even quoted me with your link, so that looks personal to me.

Anyway, can we NOW get on with the thread as i was wanting it too :)

19. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I'm the same, I still have my iPod 20GB 3G from 2005, still working fine, only thing it's had was a new battery 3 years ago.

I got the middle model (15, 20, 30GB afaik), with it I got:
    Mains charger, dock, case, headphones, another material case for the accessories, a remote, these little plastic things that went in the dock connector to protect it from dirt, a paper manual, a cd with itunes, a firewire cable, a 4 to 6 pin firewire adaptor.

Now you get headphones and a USB cable and nothing else and people still come running even though they're paying loads more for less.
    The funny thing is that the mid and high end ones were actually cheaper back then than they are now as well.

Also firewire syncs much faster than USB2 and charges faster and Apple actually removed support for it.

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    So dual cpu means also better multitasking? For sure i guess. Faster OS never hurts and if apple does it, it will not fail i presume.