NASA scientist finds fossil of extraterrestrial microbial life

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    http://journalofcosmology.com/Life100.html

http://spie.org/x17397.xml

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011...entists-claims-evidence-alien-life-meteorite/

Yes, I know it's fox news, but there are other sources to supplement it.

Note that it is told in a very dramatic fashion, as is Fox New's style, but this is legit.

2. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 24GB GDDR
    Looking forward to more development of the story! Unfortunately just like the many many times before that stories like this break out they don't last to long. If there really were aliens the government(s) would not let us know because people would lose faith in the govt because there is something bigger, more powerful then them to worry about.

PS: **** Fox News.

3. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    interesting. when i was in high school in the 90's there was a similar discovery. school literally stopped for 20min or so and a tv was wheeled into my classroom to hear pres clinton make a speech about it. those findings ended up being controversial. perhaps this will be more conclusive...well have have to wait and see since his colleagues will surely rise up to either refute or support him.

4. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    And that bit on bold was the dealbreaker for me on this story....
    The view of one scientist.

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Well, yeah, it must be convenient to discredit ideas based on nothing. Must allow you to keep a very clean mind. Why bother looking at what he said he found, or his methods, or contemplate the possibility of such a discovery, it's far easier to say "Oh, you're just one guy, what do you know"?

Course, you plainly didn't bother to read the article, where the lone scientist opened up his research to thousands of other scientists for verification.

I guess you think people are supposed to come up with ideas or conclusions in groups. You know, many of the greatest realizations in the history of science were the view of "one man" before it became the view of all. I mean, someone has to have the damn thought man.

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    One man thought you could capture lightning in a bottle.

We have electricity thanks to him.

:p

7. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    i wouldn't doubt extraterrestrial life, the only significance such discoveries have is that we can actually prove what most of us already assume to be true.

8. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Yup I'm all for it........once it's been verified by the Scientific community it
    would be exciting news.

But I've seen enough of these types of one man 'discoveries' only to see them debunked later.

Time will tell.

Thanks Mkilbride for giving us the heads up on it .

Ps IPlayNaked, spare me your boring condescending lectures, I have little interest in your theorising about the type of person I am and what I think.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    considering the size of the universe, its stupid to think that bacteria doesnt exist anywhere else lol, and bacteria can be frozen and when defrosted come back to life( hence refreezing food is a bad thing ), so its obvious bacteria can travel in space.

10. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This, minus the whole back to life thing, food is one thing, reanimation is another.

11. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    i didnt go into it, but its common knowledge that frozen bacteria( not all mind ) come back to life after being defrosted. Again depends on the bacteria but extremeophiles can even handle temps well below freezing without being frozen( but not space temps which are only a few degrees above Kelvin ), but other bacteria dont suffer the problem of water crystalisation which causes problems when e.g. trying to reanimate humans

12. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    very interesting :)

13. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    I guess it was only a matter of time to discover this, but there it is.

14. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    In before "oh hey, he was proven wrong"

15. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870

To whom are you referring? Benjamin Franklin? He wasn't the first.

The discoveries and inventions in Electricity were done by many different people.

As to the main topic of this thread: most of it was TL;DR. I'd go roughly with what post #9 said, but there are also mindblowing distances involved. Whether this is genuine or not I can't say; but consider this:

There are 10 times more stars in the visible Universe than grains of sand in the world's deserts and beaches (that's just what can be seen with Telescopes)

What are the chances of this evidence of life turning up here?

(Also: How could anyone notice us in amongst that lot??)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

16. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    So they are saying bacteria rode onto earth on a meteor? Yeah... thats bullspit. They would have burned up. I'd bet the outside of that rock hits over 2000 degrees easy when its falling through the atmosphere. Theres NO WAY bacteria would survive that.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  17. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No ones saying it survived, obviously how the hell could it?

18. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
  19. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    The bacteria can also be inside the meteor. It's not bull****.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The universe is teeming with life....

Each Star is a Sun.

Stars/Suns have planets that orbit them,like the earth does in our own solar system.

Stars are so many light years away that we dont have the technology to look at even the nearest star,i think its Alpha Centauri off the top of my head.

Out of the millions of Stars in the Universe there has to be planets that orbit them similar to earth, that has the same conditions as planet earth aloowing for the creation of intelligent life.

Common sense tells you there is intelligent life all over the universe,otherwise it would be an awful "waste of space".:)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011