Radeon HD 6990 Photo's Teaser

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    See previous image lol.

Seriously though, im not exactly one of those people who overstates power usage, but does anyone not think this is a step in the wrong direction.

If this is what AMD has in mind, what the hell will Nvidia do.

2. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    When i completely agree with you, sadly i think they had not really the choice.
    things will have been different in 32nm as was originally designed the 6K series

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i think both sides expected to using alot smaller by now.

I just liked things where Nvidia used brute force for performance while ATI/AMD tried a more subtle way, left us, the consumer two very different options.

Saying that while its a rather crude way of achieving performance, from a technical point of view it makes it very interesting to see/read about anyway.

4. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Center mounted radial fan means nearly equally cooled air to ensure consistent temperatures for both GPU's. Far better design than the 2nd GPU getting the hot air from the first and being 15+ degrees hotter. This should net in better stability for OC'ing as well as a longer lifespan on average by keeping the overall temperatures down.

5. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Yeah, it's good for the card alone. But it DOES mess up airflow inside the case, and remember that the exhaust from one of the GPUs will be inside your case (probably trying to fight one of your intake fans).

As I said, no thanks.

//Svein

6. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Some of the best air coolers for GPU's dump heat 360 degrees around your GPU. So what if ambients rise a couple degrees. I'd rather my case temps go up a couple degrees and my GPU load up at 68C than my case ambients be a couple degrees cooler and the card load up at 84C. Extended use at high temperatures is what kills video cards.

7. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    While I agree on the principle I think it's best to wait and see the real-world power usage, heat and noise before judging.

AMD is (in)famous for pulling less power than stated, with their GPUs anyway.

Less than 375W does leave a fair amount of wriggle-room.

Also, you have cards like the Geforce GTX 560 Ti which draw more power than the competition (Radeon 6950) but runs cooler and quieter.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, suppose so, power usage is much less of an issue to me than heat and noise is.

Will be interesting to see anyway, im quite liking the pricing figures that are being thrown about, and i have a full upgrade planned when i've paid off my holiday, so been reading all the AMD driver threads (which you guys don't make easy lol) as i don't think the other half will let me go for the GTX590 :(

9. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    'tis still a big issue really, I'm just reserving judgment on all aspects for now.
    Is the price difference really going to be that big?

I realize that the price gap between the GTX 580 and Radeon 6970 is fairly decent but they can't very well double up the GTX 580 in price and call it a day.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    For me its not, im environmently unfriendly when it comes to electricity usage.

I don't expect Nvidia to double up the price, but its likely to be a good bit more than the 6990, in the UK it was £100 between the 6970-580, so i expect this to be at least £150 more unless its slower than the 6990.

11. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    ahaha

12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Holy smokes! That's gotta be close to 2 feet! :gape:

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    No kidding, that stock HSF has to be set as loud as a jet taking off in order to keep a single GPU card under 65C. I don't want to know how loud it would have to be set to in order to decently cool that monstrosity of a card.

Anyone who buys that better be planning on water cooling or at the very least a 3rd party HSF.