AMD, I am disappoint

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Neo Cyrus, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I haven't regularly used a Radeon card in aeons so I assumed the driver side of things would have caught up with nVidia considering nVidia is not impressive and have issues with their drivers which they outright refuse to fix.

I've had this Cayman card for a while now and bottom line is that I'm foaming at the mouth in rage over every single little tiny detail about the program side of things. Everything is so unprofessional and flawed but let's just get to my questions.

1 - What the hell are the super sampling AA settings? It does NOT say, you can just select SSAA on a slider and it sets it based on your MSAA settings, wtf?! :bang:

nVidia users have nVidia Inspector to specifically set/force what they want but the closest thing we have is the flawed Radeon Pro (better than nothing if you getting it working) to force settings which does not say any specifics.

For example in nVidia settings the SSAA options were from 1x1 (derp?) to 8x8. Now I went ahead and assumed one is length and one width, is that correct?

2 - Is it my imagination or do things look crappier with AMD drivers? Just to clarify I have all optimizations which could reduce image quality disabled. The SSAA looks blurry/crappy in comparison and the scaling is ABSOLUTELY, utterly, completely, hopelessly worthless!! :bang:

3 - Regarding the Super Sampling AA, is there any way to combine it with regular MSAA as could be done with nVidia cards? This is my preferred setting.

4 - While we're at it, what settings do you guys use for the best appearance... and what is adaptive AA supposed to be? Google is useless.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    "nVidia users have nVidia Inspector", what are you talking about dude? that's a third party program. otherwise you cant change **** with Nvidia drivers, get Ati Tray tools or RadeonPro and you will be able to enable, force and do all kind of things you never imagined.

And about image quality? we have seen many reviews and they said that the differences are not noticeable in a real world use, plus if you want the best image quality put all on high and turn off the optimizations. there's not a big performance drop if you do that.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I think you missed what I said, the point was we got nothing which has the options. Radeon Pro is screwy and it lacks the same options.

For example I wanted combined MSAA and SSAA, not an option in any way with AMD cards that I know of. All Radeon Pro offers is the ability to force the options already in the CCC. ATI Tray tools? That equals instant and permanent BSoD until removed in safe mode.

As for the image quality I clearly said I disabled all the optimizations. Seriously, why the hell did you post if you had nothing to say?

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    wow....until this GTX460, nothing even came remotely close to the image quality my HD4850 produced.

But, honestly, there's no need to be an ass....

Everyone has their own preferences as far as image quality....but based on a recent review done by THG, with all settings move towards sure image quality with no regard for performance, ATI and nVidia (specifically the GTX460) produce equal image quality.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    ... I feel like I'm talking to a wall, a very very AMD defensive wall. Preferences? I don't think any one would take blurry super sampling over crystal clear super sampling. It's not even remotely close, it's a massive difference. A person with cataracts problems would notice the blur. I mean that quite literally, it's that bad.

I ask for information and in return I get told not to criticize AMD. Perfect, ****ing perfect. I'm not blind, it's not "equal".

6. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    It is well known that amd's supersampling is inferior to nvidias. Textures get .. to be precise .. raped

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The only way AMD has been able to get away with it must be because so few people use super sampling. To get a decent image (very jaggy on character hair) in something I had to max out the super sampling and at best it equaled nVidia's 2x2 super sampling... I don't suppose they are the same thing? I doubt it, and if so that's very limited and overburdening. :bang:

[​IMG]

8. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    Not a fan of AMD or Nvidia but maybe its best u get a nvidia card or get a PS3 or xbox 360.
    And be-careful about ur rage at hardwares and softwares,it's not good for ur health....just saying.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    252 views and not 1 real answer. My 3rd and last AMD card.

A powerful video card is useless when the picture it outputs looks like ****. I can only hope AMD eventually releases some proper drivers.

10. poedoom

poedoom Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire hd4870
    i also own a cayman and from personal experiance you pay for what you get, nvidia cards are alot more expensive but perform in a different league,amd have had driver issues for an age the ccc team seem to be more focused on adding new things to the ccc rather than game performance increases, ive also owned nvidia cards and know there drivers are nothing to shout about but hey atleast theres plenty of them.So imo sounds like ya never going be happy with an amd card especially the over hyped cayman its nothing more than a 5870 with bells on. Dude nvidia=quality=2 weeks wages :) AMD=well i can game now and still have money for the pub!!!

11. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    Not sure what kind of answer you want. I don't experience the "****ty" output you're talking about. In fact, when I read your description I had no idea what you were on about. Did you try the EQ-AA modes?

In any case, you sound very unhappy with it. Sell it and get a card from nVidia (560/570 perhaps?).

12. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    I must just say "Wow". What a bunch of nonsense. :)

The prices differences are small, the performance differences are equally small, and the IQ differences are also small. You'll see one brand excel in one game and then the other brand excel in another game.

13. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Sounds like you're not playing at a high enough resolution.

14. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    yeah, and supersampling only works on some games, soo whats the point? use MLAA or EQ AA with edge detect to make the borders from Alpha textures softer. I have had many brand of graphic cards in my life, and i must admit that im quite happy with the Quality from Ati at this moment.

Im a 3D artist and I clearly see IQ differences.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    As crazy as it may sound I would like an answer for one of those questions I asked. You know, one of those in those 4 points I made in the first post...
    Yes that's fine only up to a certain point, some things simply require super sampling to fix jaggies/screwed up background items. There are some things the 8xEQAA or 24x edge detect aren't enough for.
    2048x1152...
    The EQ is fine but the MLAA is useless for me and the super sampling is simply blurry. I was blown away when I saw the screwed up alpha textures, blown away. :bang:

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Go rage on AMD forums and send letters to em, why the hell you bitch at community, read your op, laugh at it and let it go. lol.

17. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    ok, let me be quite frank about this: Both nvidia and ati IQ on consumer boards are below par. Best IQ-wise (compared to the pro line of boards) I've seen for the last decade-and-a-half was 3DLabs' Permedia and Permedia2 chipsets (stripped down versions of their glint engines). _ALL_ of today's consumer boards trade in rendering quality for a little extra fps in synthetic benchmarks. This is one of the main differences between the pro (firegl, firepro, quadro) boards, and their consumer (radeon, geforce) stepchildren.

If you're THAT concerned about image quality, start saving up for one of those pro boards, instead of ranting.

//Svein

p.s. I should probably add "3D Graphics addicted since SGI Indy R5000"

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Thank you random guy in Japan for your useless criticism. How dare I expect an answer for any of those questions I asked... which was totally not the reason I made the post.
    I'm not "THAT" concerned, excuse me for expecting functional super sampling and transparency. I dare say that I even expected a functional CCC, crazy eh?

19. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    well, then it seems that you are simply pissed off about nothing really and you need to steam off over here. :p

when i feel that way i go punch a boxing bag, or i play some violent games :p

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    :3eyes: A brick wall at this point would have been more responsive.
    You've all been very good at telling me to stop "raging" but so far not one answer.