Something Wrong With OC ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by blesner, Feb 25, 2011.

1. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Okay to give you an example I Oced my CPU to 3.3Ghz benchmarked with Mafia 2 and got 1st bench - Ave 88.9 FPS, 2nd Bench 88.5 FPS.

I then Oced my cpu to 3.8Ghz and got this in my Mafia 2 Benchmark 1st Bench- Ave 86.1 FPS, 2nd Bench 87.1 FPS.

Oh and my temps seem fine Low-47C High-69C

Something does not seem right ?!
    You guys know ?

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Forget benchmarking Mafia or any other game.
    Use stability testing programs to test to see if your oc is stable.

I use these

Linx 20 passes minimum,no less,important!!(max memory setting if it will allow it)
    Occt(1hr linpack)

If you can pass these Linx and Occt then you can pass the next 2 with ease i find.

Intel Burn test
    Prime 95

Linx needs more vcore to be stable
    Occt needs more qpi/dram to be stable

Push either of them to high or too low and you get instability(BSOD) or test failure,finding the sweet spot is the key.

3. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Cool thanks never used those programs before, with my CPU OC'ed to 3.35Ghz under 100% load I am getting temps of 76C, my core voltage is 1.244 V, multiplier is 22, is this right ?

4. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    76c it will continue to function but its life span is going down the drain.

60's c is good but not 76 almost 80c :bang:

5. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    That was after 10 min of full load using OCCT?! Idle is around 45C, Is that a bad OC ? Is the CPU voltage fine ? What are the min and max temps of an I7 ?

I am using a Coolermaster V8...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Mid 70s is ok for stability testing,remember its very unlikely that your cpu will get that hot when gaming,the Gpu is the big boy in gaming that handles everything,the cpu is the lazy one that sits there just helping out abit:)

7. nemoreborn

nemoreborn Master Guru

GPU:
    currently building
    like veteran said .. im not even sure your cpu will be running at 100% once by doing regular everyday use of your computer ... so these temps are fine ! but tbh seems high for a 3.3ghz OC ... at 4.2 , my 920 barely hit 77 on the hotter core .

8. aparicio1

aparicio1 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA/GTX480SLI
    My i7 930 it's been doing 3.8ghz on stack cooler for 18 monts and only hits 69 to 71 after 5 hours of gta4 i've never tested it for stability because i know it's gonna fail the test and belive me i game alot

9. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    My CPU only hits a max of around 66 while gaming and this is when my PC is left on all day

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Then you run the risk of micro data corruption and corrupted cbs files,which can result in reformatting from continues crashes or bsod,this will only happen if a game/app uses the cpu in a way that cause the pc to crash cause of it not being stable in stability testing.

A good game that takes advantage of this is Bad Company 2 on the level Atacama desert,seems to stress the cpu more on this stage,if your system is unstable this game will show it on this stage.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Dont use a 22x multiplyer on 930 use 21x,its more stable.

12. aparicio1

aparicio1 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA/GTX480SLI
    I'm planing on buying a better cooler this spring and another gtx 480 i'm specting to reach 4ghz on the i930 that will make me very happy......as for the OP his temperature seems way to hight for that overclock even tho his ambient temperature might have somthing to do

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    His temps are fine.

14. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Temps are a little on the high side. Games which scale well may cause problems down the road during long sessions...[I have a few which stress all 4 cores to 90% or so, so they do exist...]

I'd probablly get a new heatsink, just to be on the safe side.

15. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Hey guys, my multipler is on 20 is that okay ?
    And PCIE spectrum must I turn this off? why? wont it damage my GPU ?

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Turn the multiplyer to 21x and copy the bios that i sent you in pm once you go over 4ghz,you should be able to hit 4ghz with everything on auto,so bang the bclk up to 4ghz oc and reboot,test for stability,dont forget to turn off c1e and speedstep and all that crap,copy the bios i gave you for these settings but dont copy the voltages,just leave them on auto.

17. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Cool my temps at stock speeds are 45C when idle and OCed at 3.6 are 49 when idle please keep in mind I live in SA and the room temp is around 22C at night.?

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    if your concerned about temps get custom water setup,there idling a bit high but not dangerous,what case do you have?