6950CFX+Setsugen2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Greleroux, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Greleroux

Greleroux Guest

GPU:
    6950CFX@stock+Setsugen2
    Hi everyone
    Like the title implies ,i've upgraded recently to a 6950 crossfire X,to my surprise to temps of the top card was too hot due to the lack of ventilation .
    [​IMG]

i had to do something about it ,i've opted for the setsugen2 for 2 main reasons price and 2slot
    i did the assembly and the result is breath tacking
    i had to share it with you guys
    before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the result
    Top card
    [​IMG]

Bottom card
    [​IMG]

i've gained 15c after the upgrade really worthy

for you guys who are struggling with 2 6950or70 i think this is a good solution money and performance wise

leave your comment or question
    Got a little update.to prevent the VGA electronic board the deform due to the power cables pull ,i've tried to put back the reference back-plate.and the result was good .the card circuit board is like a straight line again .

You need to be careful though make sure that the screws or washers don't touch any electronics or it'll shortcut the board the you don't want that !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. jskyg

jskyg Master Guru

GPU:
    powercolor 5850@775/1125
    that's awesome man, now I know for sure which cooler really works on the 6900's,
    considering buying one next Tuesday.

how does this new cooler compare as far as noise levels?

3. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    wow man thats poor, Im getting much much better temps out of the shaman

4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    try fitting shaman on the upper card when they're right next to each other.

Good luck

5. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    gimme a card and Il show it done, change to a 12mm height 120mm fan and presto. Plus I can run CFX passively and cant guarantee but pretty sure Id beat it.

good luck.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  6. MRGAY

MRGAY Guest

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 6950
    GOOD. GAME. :funny:

7. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    First, a custom fan costs extra; not the Shaman I had in mind. Secondly it's pretty obvious the heatsink itself extends over two slots, so you couldn't run it passively in a CFX configuration with the cards in adjacent slots. Never mind with a 12mm fan.

Lol. Are you some dave fanboy?

8. MRGAY

MRGAY Guest

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 6950
    Of course you're not going to use adjacent slots, you'd need a sizable mobo to pull it off. So yea, it can be done. I know because mine has enough slots to do it. Just not enough money to buy my 2nd 6950. =( A good 200mm fan blowing on the cards should do the trick.

Bro, if it was the other way around, you'd be getting my support. xD

9. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    The point kind of was that dave's enthusiasm regarding his Shaman has no relevance to the OP who has two cards right next to each other. Shaman's effectiveness of cooling a single card cannot be compared to the temperatures the OP is getting for the upper card because Shaman cannot be fitted on the upper card when the cards are in adjacent slots.

Don't understand what you mean here. Are you saying you're a dave fanboy, and if you were a lehtv fanboy instead, I'd be getting your support?

10. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    it extends over the second pcie-slot,hmm right not what Im seeing, total cost for two 120mm fans £16, hardly breaking the bank if your into this kind of thing, FYI I dont need fanboys, screenys speak louder than words

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3893643#post3893643

you attacked first, I didnt attack, I said the results are poor, they are. Also I wasnt showing enthusiasm for shaman on this thread I was just pointing out scythes competitor.

11. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    last pic: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1131-page3.html

I agree

Please show me a screenie that demostrates the heatsink doesn't extend over two slots. That thread doesn't have one :<

I didn't even know I attacked, thx for letting me know

I agree the results are pretty poor, but the results would be even poorer if you tried to fit the Shaman in the upper card, hence the irrelevance of your comment.

12. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    man I cant wait to show you different, dude fair play your not on the attack but please dont tell me Im wrong because frankly Im not, if it was the upper, sideways or diagonal card it would win, it does fit for cfx with a fan.

13. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    ok dude its late but promise to update this thread with a pic showing the heatsink doesnt extend over the second pci-e slot and will try to show the clearance which is pretty big from sight.

P.s the last pic in your edit is innacurate, the fan would cover the pcie slot yeah but if you put in a 12mm height fan your laughing, anyway will show you tommorow dude.

14. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Looking at the pics on SilentPC, the Shaman does extend into the 2nd PCI-e slot with a big fat fan on it. Passively, it takes 3 slots... what i want to know is, will a slim fan actually leave enough clearance for a crossfire setup?

In my system with both stock coolers, there is only one slot between the two cards. (Both obviously being dual slot)

From my eyes, it looks like it might just fit... just.

15. MRGAY

MRGAY Guest

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 6950
    It was funny, hence, "good game." :D

True, then it was a digression from the main point. I myself have my doubts if two shamans can fit in adjacent slots. however, dave seems confident so we'll both see. If his comment stands with the proof he's talking about, then the arguments become parallel again. We'll just see. :D

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Passively, they will sit adjecent. With the fans on, no, they won't. With slim fans, which is what dave is probably referring to, then that's the big question ;)

17. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    gimme 10, il show ya :)

18. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    as promised your pic, theres a ton of room, actually more room than I thought. It doesnt take three slots passively, it takes two. Now its good game lol

[​IMG]

19. Greleroux

Greleroux Guest

GPU:
    6950CFX@stock+Setsugen2
    @jskyg the max noise is equivalent to the reference fan @40-45% but since the fan is bigger it is more tolerable

@dave i don't think so
    [​IMG]
    your mother board has 2slots empty before the 2nd pci exp16 slot this is why the setting you'r putting looks that way. in a normal board the space wont be the same .

and let me say this ,the shaman is a very good cooler no doubt at all ,but for a crossfire configuration in just wont fit ,no one has 4 slots to spare .it is already hard enough to fit 2 setsugen as it is .and the price 80bux vs 40 bux of course it will be more effective .i just dont know why your wasting our time by posting ,there is no competition here i didint say the setsugen is the best ect,what i did is introduce an alternative for the crossfire users .
    for the temps it was 1h of metro 2033 witch uses dx11 this means hotter ,in crysis warhead i'm in the 75c for the top card .

20. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    dude from the pic you can clearly see with a smaller fan it will fit nicely, and im right it takes up the first pcie slot and the second one that is missing, there is room. Besides Ive pointed out in the shaman review you dont have to use two shamans, a shaman coupled with a spitfire is a very nice combo also. Im not wasting time theres many alternative solutions, the scythe is a seemingly nice cooler but from the results I see there is a need to point out the alternatives :)