Best paid anti virus program?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Saifz, Dec 21, 2010.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Avast Pro

been using since version 3.0 and 6.0 is upcoming soon.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I have tested all of them,all security suites on a spare laptop with malware purposefully left on there to see how good the detection rates are.

The only ones i would use are these through testing.

Bitdefender
    kaspersky
    Comodo
    Norton
    Malwarebytes
    Webroot anti virus

The rest all let malware through except for the ones listed above.
    I use comodo and malwarebytes,nothing gets through no matter what website i got too.

Edit:Eset's Nod 32 let quite alot of malware through,use it at your peril!

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    In a recent PC Mag review based on AV-Comparisons' testing and provided information...NOD32 performed the worst of all AV's tested... From my own personal experience, NOD32 doesn't catch anything... I've had Adaware, Spybot S&D and Spyware Doctor look like they were deleting my harddrive without NOD32 detecting anything. Pretty scary.... I've gone back to using Norton for now as in the most recent AV-Comparisons testing done for PC Mag, it scored the best overall. AntiVir had the highest detection rate...but left parts behind when removing malware...

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah Nod32 is very very overated,i used it once and my steam account was hacked,i got my account back within 24 hrs via steam support,but it made me go paranoid about pc security and i tested each app extensively just to see for myself what the results were,hence what i posted above:)

5. JamesGeek

JamesGeek Member

GPU:
    VGA LEADTEK/TI4200BK/128
    I use and recommend Avira, easy to use and reliable anti virus program.

6. Sher-e-Khuda

Sher-e-Khuda Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 1GB
    F-Secure(Product of the year 2010).

7. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    I concur. The most consistently highest detection and removal rates of them all across various review sites. Of course that is just at this moment in time. The picture continually changes, so there's no room for brand loyalty....

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Most antivirus applications have high detection rates....if they've been awarded the "VB100" cert, they've shown an ability to detect 100% of "known-in-the-wild" viruses. This test, however, doesn't measure false positive or removal rates. Nor does it measure performance impact.

And what you posted above, seems to mirror reviews for the most part. The only one missing from that list, is Avira AntiVir, which while having an excellent detection and removal rate....seems to lack the ability to remove all parts of multi-file infections.

The only smudge for those you listed, is impact to system performance. Norton has the lowest impact to system performance of those you listed.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    i know some people complain about hogging system resourses,but me personally if it meant using Security software that was deemed better than others with better detection rates but hogged the resources alittle bit more i would still use it as detection is no1 and resource hogging is close 2nd.:)

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Same for me....to an extent....but, for some performance is the biggest priority.

11. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    agreed. i've been using avast for 6 years and I recommend it to friends, family, and customers

12. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    I found Norton gives the best of both worlds at the moment, which I have to say I was surprised by. At least on the performance side of things, when you consider its reputation from a few years back.

13. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    avira antivir personal free is the best of all free antivirus, it is also not heavy for the system...
    the only thing that is annoying are the pop-up update, but is easily solved by adding a rule in software restriction policies
    bb

14. X-Kalibur

X-Kalibur Guest

GPU:
    Increase video memory siz
    I'd say Norton...even thought it slows down my computer, and it' not cheap but still good protection.

15. LifeInferno

LifeInferno Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 Quad CF
    my opinion? none, why to pay for something we can repair-fix freely?

16. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I use Avira AV and Comodo FW on XP and Comodo Security Suite on Win 7 along with Malwarebytes

I'd recommend Comodo Security Suite it's free and has some nice features like sandbox and game mode

17. HolyLiaison

HolyLiaison Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 570 GTX SLI
    Avast! Free Antivirus and Microsoft Security Essentials

Sitting idle Avast! is using 3mb's of my system memory, and MSE is using even less. They're very light weight on your system and are very powerful tools to prevent all sorts of bad things from happening to your computer.

Avast! has Gaming/Silent mode available so it wont interrupt your gaming sessions, it also protects your mail client, web browsing, P2P downloading, instant messaging, your network, and it has a script shield which protects you from unwanted scripts being run on your system with out your permission. Oh and it also has a Sandbox mode. All for free.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011