Nvidia AA guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GanjaStar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Not much use for people outside of the U.K. but the BBC's surprisingly OK *FREE* Doctor Who The Adventure Games (currently on Episode 4 and coded by Sumo Digital) can be used with the AA flag 0x00411245 for forced AA.

Image with 16QxAA forced

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've found an AA flag that works with a couple of the LEGO games. The flag is 0x00421041. Make sure you disable the AA Behavior flag by setting it to None first otherwise Override will act as Enhance, i.e. it won't work.

Here's LEGO Harry Potter:

Picture 1 with 8QxAA

Picture 2 with 8QxAA

The flag 0x00411245 also works but I noticed that cauldron in the loading screen isn't AAed like with 0x00421041 so I'm using the latter one. Note that the AA isn't perfect as some edges aren't smoothed. Better than the edge-blur the game uses by default though.

This 0x00421041 setting also works with LEGO Batman:

Picture 1 with 8QxAA

Picture 2 with 8QxAA

I also tried this with LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga but I ended up with a black screen and no way to exit the game forcing me to power down at the case button. Not good.

The flag may work with the LEGO Indiana Jones games but I don't have them to test.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  3. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    thx Darren. will include those. its nice when a newly discovered flag works on a lot of apps we previously played with jaggies :nerd:

4. -=Seany=-

-=Seany=- Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    Unable to Force AA for Arma2

Is it normal to not be able to force AA any more on games that support Ambient Occlusion in the nvidia profile?

I am trying to used 2x Overridden AA for Arma2: Operation Arrow Head instead of in game AA. I know that any profile that supports Ambient Occlusion has the Override option disabled (why is that?), but even when using Inspector to allow the override option for the Arma profile, I can never get any AA in game.

I tried a few of the afore mentioned settings, like AntiAliasing compatibility flags but none seem to work.

Any ideas? Or anyone with Arma2 or Operation Arrow head that can try on there end or see what options they can set for their profile?

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    At the risk of giving everyone the impression I only like kids/crap* games, I've found another game which can now have AA forced in it.

The flag is 0x00411245 and the game is Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (what's that, you ask?):

Picture 1 with 8QxAA

Picture 2 with 8QxAA

Picture 3 with 8QxAA

(Click on them to see them full-sized at 1920x1200)

I get the feeling that the new AA modes that NVIDIA introduced for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit will work with almost every game that wasn't until now supported. Seems that way from my testing. :D

* Delete as applicable

6. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Battlefield Bad Company 2, DX11.

Anyone got aAA compatibility flag for it?

7. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    theres not even a place where you would input the comoatibility value for dx11, unless the dx10 compatibility applies to it as well.

8. sulan666

sulan666 New Member

GPU:
    8800 gtx
    is there a way of forcing aa in napoleon and empire total war...used to work on my ati card but my 580 doesnt wanna.

thx

9. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Thats true. Even a general AA compatibility to try force some AA. The game is so jaggy all the time :(

Too many transparent textures, and forcing trans aa does little to nothing.

10. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    There most likely is. I don't have the game, so you need to test the different AA flags yourself with in game AA off. :)

im not aware of any driver level dx11 AA tweaks available. dx9 is the best way to play, IMO. be it multiplayer for better performance or single player where the AA overide provides huge IQ benefits over the small shadow tweaks offered by dx11.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

11. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Empire Total War - 0x00400245
    [​IMG]
    In-Game 8xAA:
    [​IMG]
    Forced 8xMSAA+8xSGSSAA:
    [​IMG]

Napoleon: Total War - 0x00400245
    [​IMG]
    In-Game 8xAA:
    [​IMG]
    Forced 8xMSAA+8xSGSSAA:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  12. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    great stuff guzz :) will add it to the OP :thumbup:

13. Fr0stx

Fr0stx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780SC@1100Mhz 1.087v
    Well my son's game work with good AA now!! thanks for Sonic, and the Lego series. Talking of it, I also have toys story 3 and I can't make it work, any idea?

14. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Toy Story 3 - 0x000030C1
    [​IMG]

noAA:
    [​IMG]

8xMSAA+8SGSSAA:
    [​IMG]

15. Fr0stx

Fr0stx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780SC@1100Mhz 1.087v
    Wow thanks! How do you guys figure this out? Trial and error or is there a trick?

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Trial and error usually. It's a good bet though that if a new AA flag is created for a game such as Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit that they'll work with older games that didn't previously support AA. It's just a case of experimenting, something that is made relatively easy by excellent third-party tools such as NVIDIA Inspector.

Has anyone found an AA flag for LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga yet?

17. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    thx for the help again guzz!

Gotta try out few of your flag combinations on magicka. that game seems particulary resistant to AA overiding.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    A suggestion for when NVIDIA update the drivers and profiles...

In the off-chance that NVIDIA add AA support for a game already listed in the first post, it might be a good idea to update the list to include the default settings as per NVIDIA (where applicable or you could add 'No flag set'). For example, NVIDIA use an AA flag for Alpha Protocol that renders the dialogue wheel options invisible (I think 0x45 instead of 0x41... or vice versa) and so far have not updated it. They may include better/updated flags for that and other games in the future which may render the current user ones obsolete (less effective).

The reason I mentioned this is that driver updates retain user profile settings except for the AA flags (they appear to get overwritten from personal experience) so I tend to backup my profiles before installing a new driver then reimport it afterwards using the GeForce SLI tool (which also allows the profile names to edited). This means that any updated profiles that NVIDIA add will get overwritten too with our user AA flags but it's easier than going through each individual profile and amending the flag manually.

Hope that made sense!

19. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The driver does not contain a profile for this game, so create it manually.
    LEGO Star Wars - The Complete Saga - 0x000012C1
    [​IMG]

noAA:
    [​IMG]

2x2SSAA + 4xMSAA + 8SGSSAA:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks a million, Guzz! :D

(I'm not seeing any pictures though)

Nevermind, looks like the router is blocking them here at work. Will check them later at home.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011