x58 4/8Gb of 6/12Gb RAM detected

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by W@w@Y, Feb 3, 2011.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Has this happened to you guys? Well, it happened to me again last night (last time it happened was back in November)

CPUz and HWiNFO32 can detect 6Gb installed but BIOS and Windows can only detect 4Gb.

The first time it happened I tried switching to the 2 BIOS modes, reset to default, adjusting QPI/VTT and vDIMM etc and even swapped RAM sticks aroundto no avail so I just turned off the PC/PSU and in the morning when I booted the PC it detected the 6Gb again

For last night, I did the above and when I booted in the morning it detected the 6Gb again but after a restart to set my OC the problem reoccured.I fixed the problem by reseating the CPU cooler (I noticed some discoloration in the CPU contact pad just like this guy describes) which I cleaned with an eraser and a lint free cloth and now its back to 6Gb (restarted 3x now and still 6Gb detected so hopefully I fixed it)

So, id just like to check with you guys if you have experienced the same thing (and fixed it by reseating the CPU cooler) coz I have read around the internets and apparently its happened to a few people too

2. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Yeh i've experienced it on a X58 UD7 board, generally a RESEAT of the cpu fixes the issue.. its socket related.. That or vtt/bios related :)

3. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Yeah its kinda odd about reseating the CPU fixing it..does that mean the sockets are not good?

4. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Nope just the pressure when mounting it, only happens on certain boards with certain dimms.. kinda lame imo..

5. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    I got intrested in 1156 socket burn (boring afternoon) and found this

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4580706&postcount=558

6. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    reason I was interested is because of this

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

no burn marks on the pins though, just the discoloration above which I was able to clean with a a microfibre cloth

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011