Idiots at PC Stores

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stromgold, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    @anticupidon,

I like that attitude, sadly it is not considered acceptable to most 'bosses' who only see the immediate bottom line.

If a salesman or technician tries to foist some crap off on me, that is the last time I visit that particular establishment.

So, I would ask the 'boss', did you make money or lose money? Unless he/she is a complete idiot (and far too many are) the answer is obviously a loss, now, and in the future.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i am on the verge of starting my own repair shop
    soon...will start to learn to get my MAc technician certificate and i will apply for a CompTIA+...
    as a matter of fact she is losing money all day long:bang:

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i always wondered how well guaranteeing your work would pan out for faulty hardware. time spent replacing...etc. I imagine its not an easy thing dealing with some customers and being completely honest when bills are due and funds are low. guess it depends how many customers you get and if you can charge enough for service time to make proper diagnoses and honest advice worth it even if they opt out of having it fixed.
    i used to diagnose friends stuff for free, hlaf the time they would opt out of wanting me to fix it. guess i shouldve charged for fee

4. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Hardly surprising, I honestly don't know why anyone bothers with these so called sales people?

As soon as the tossers head in my direction in any shop I give them a dirty look and they piss off.

They are the lowest of the low, losers who cant get a half decent job and their only gift is to speak complete rubbish in a convincing way.

They are only there to sell you the most expensive end of stock item possible to get a nice commission. They are not there to help in anyway and have zero interest in your needs other than conning you into something you don't need or want.

The whole sales person thing needs to be heavily regulated or made illegal imo as lots of folk are getting scammed by these tossers, especially older folk.

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    It's the same old thing no matter where you go. 9 times out of 10 you end up getting the feeling you know more about what it is you're looking at than the dork trying to sell it to you... be it at an electronics store, car dealership, probably even a grocery store.

I absolutely hate walking around the computer section of the local Best Buy... just looking over some of the monitors and seeing how outrageously priced the name-brand "gaming" PC's are.... and having some schmuck come around asking if he can help me find something, or if i'd like him to tell me more about what it is that i'm looking at. Sometimes i feel like making as little eye contact as possible with the salesperson greatly aides in avoiding their attention... but some of them are just like flies on sh*t. I guess that's the easy way to tell whether or not you're currently in a not-so non-commission zone. Like when they tell you that they don't make commission off of their sales.... yet feel they must accompany your TV to the front of the store. I guess the guy who sold my parents a 50" 720p plasma was probably grinning from ear to ear.

There are times where if i walk into somewhere... and IMMEDIATELY someone starts being the typical "customer service rep" or however you wish to put it.... i turn around and walk out. I don't go to a car dealership to be a mobile advertisement recepticle..... i don't go to a mattress store to be the unassuming gezelle before the stealthy lion..... just leave me the f*ck alone and you might actually get my business.

Ukraver: Uuh... about the "gaming pc users = genius" bit.... even that's arguable. And by that, i mean take a look/listen to the conversations between said gamers.

6. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    LoL NC I though i'm the only one who have problem with computer store in NC ... I move from Ca about 10 years ago... and when the FX 5900 come out i need a better and higher wattage so i go and ask for a 500-600w psu from a local repair shop and the woman ask me what i'm trying to do power the whole town... I just leave.... never go back and a few month ago my 90mm fan die so i went to a other shop in town and ask for a 90mm fan the guy told me there is no 90mm fan there is only 80mm and 120mm. :puke2:

7. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    You think this is bad? Try going to McDonalds of KFC and have the fool behind the counter argue with you over your order.

Then you get more of them coming as reinforcement because one spoiled kid isn't getting its own way. My kid, who usually translates for us, has got so angry that she's shouted at these idiots, grabbed us and stormed out, after calling them stupid. The best one was when she told the cow we'll order whatever she recommends and that she's paying, as she doesn't agree with our order. Then she's told her to go get her boss.

Nowadays the managers watch their employees and ensure these practices don't happen, because people like that should be sent to a gulag :bang::cussing::flame:

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ye, it's not that stupid here in Canada, at least not at my 2 local McDonald's (have two within 5 km radius lol).

Usually they just take my order and never question me.

Same thing with the McDonald's I've been to in Hong Kong.

deltatux

9. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    If all goes well I'll be going to HK in two weeks, right before the end of the holiday to do some shopping. Can't wait to taste some Burger King again.

Fortunately we haven't had to argue with them over our order in quite a while, not in the least because we don't have fast food that often (less than once a month and only because it's the only non-Chinese food here in town), apart from for ice cream. I'm not much into red been or pea ice cream so the KFC outlet sells the best we can get.

10. SpudMuffin

SpudMuffin Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970BE 900/1200
    Fast-food joints here give me the ****s:

Me: 'Can I please get a cheesburger and a small fries, and that's all thanks'

Them: 'Would you like a Coke with that?'

Me: '...and that's all, thanks'

Them: ' ..... '

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    awful week in sales numbers
    boss is pressing me to do anything to raise the numbers
    what to do...lie and sell or be honest and be poor?
    answer
    i choose to repair all the laptops i have on the bench,repairing gives us more money
    i let my boss run her shops as she sees fit ,i am a technician not a salesman

if i will ever open a computer shop i will try not to have contact with the end user,i will repair only

too many costumers without the slightest ideea about what they want,about this and that
    this thread is about idiots at pc stores,but what about costumers who are asking for still not invented things and without any computer background///
    this week only i had a ton of costumers who bought laptops from us and they don't know how to find their way in windows,and for every detail they come in our store and they ask to attend them full time ...the warranty 'ait?
    or clients who are bragging about their level in all about computers,and doing noobish mistakes and blaming YOU for it?

computer hardware is getting cheaper by the day,and more and more people are buying a laptop or a desktop,but that doesn't entitle them to have computer knowledge
    .really i am getting way beyond tired of computer-hackers who don't have the slightest ideea about a partition table,let alone simplier stuff :stewpid:
    rant over
    maybe i am not the only one here who have to face those clients every day,and if you think it is easy give it a try....:bang:

12. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Windows 7 is trying to fix this somewhat by adding there performance index system scores. Anyone that wasn’t brought up with upgrading PC's really has no clue about PC technology. Most PC's can play PC games for at least 2.5 years before they actually need to be upgraded, depending on the video card of course. But what happeneds is places like Best-Buy or Wal-Mart will market a PC bundle with a fast CPU and with a big hard drive with lots of memory but it will be using onboard Intel graphics or at best a really low-end Nvidia/ATi onboard solution that really won't be able to handle much more then mob wars on facebook!

What they need to do is teach the basics in high school, make it a mandatory course to get through high school.

13. Piderman

Piderman Member

GPU:
    2x asus 680
    I am out here in Canada and one of our local shops is Memory Express and i have been shopping there since i started building computers. The special thing i find about this place is they KNOW computers you can have a knowledgeable conversation with everyone in there. I just wish every place could be like this otherwise I'm gonna stay inside and hide away from the idiocy i witness everyday.

14. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    lol. They are doing their job trying to make add-on sales and upgrade your order - but I do see your point.