Weird POST event...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by JCOnline, Feb 3, 2011.

1. JCOnline

JCOnline Member

GPU:
    NA
    I own the ASUS P5Q SE/R mobo and the Q9550 CPU. Something weird happens when I manually define FSB speed, PCI, RAM etc in BIOS.

Let's say everything is left at AUTO in the BIOS. Then I turn off all power to the pc on the wall socket. The whole system is now without any power at all. Then I turn on the power again and press the on switch on the pc. The PC turns on without any issues.

However - if I do the above and have defined FSB Speeds, PCI, RAM etc. manually in the BIOS someting weird happens when I turn on the PC.
    After total power cutoff on the wall socket I then turn on the wall socket again and press the on switch on the pc. The computer then turns on for 1 second and then turns off for 1 second and then it turns on for real and POST.

Can anoyone explain to me if that is normal for an ASUS mobo or....?

2. Moshing

Moshing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 BOE@900core
    This is a normal bug for many motherboards. Sometimes it gets fixed with a bios update, sometimes the manufacturer leaves it be since it's just an irritant, not a real functional failure of any kind. I've seen overclocking motherboards from Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, and MSI all do this, all the way from P965, to P35, X58, P55, and P67.

My Sabertooth P67 board did that until the recent 1204 bios, now doesn't anymore. If memory serves me, P5Q series motherboards are either P965 or P35, cannot remember which off hand. It's no big deal, don't sweat it. If it bugs you enough, you can see if there's a BIOS update that fixes it, otherwise you'll have to live with it or get a different brand and model motherboard that may still do the same darned thing.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  3. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Its better than my ASUS board - if it has been off at the wall and then powered on, it powers on fine, but no post at all - I have to hold power in for 5 and then power on again

4. asingh

asingh Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4890 (X-Fire)
    Basically it is double posting. My board did that when I had an E7400 @ 4. Obviously settings had been changed. But it never did the same on stock. Once I put in the Q9500 (now at 3.8) it stopped. Just something weird in the settings where the BIOS settings do not get cranked up on boot, so it tries again and again to retrieve those values. I had tried BIOS updates and umpteeen OC settings, but nothing worked. Though the 2x post sequence never caused any instability as such. Just there was a fan(s) spin up sound, silence and proper POST --> OS load.

5. JCOnline

JCOnline Member

GPU:
    NA
    It's the same thing here. Fans, DVD and HD does spinup for a second and the whole thing dies for a second. Then it kicks in and POSTS.

Well - thanks everyone for your feedback. I just wanted to know if the problem was known to other people. :)

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wow....last time I used an ASUS board to overclock was a K7V133...It suffered from that "problem"... My ASUS K8V-X did it as well...but only with PATA harddrives connected.

(Notice: K7V133 and A7V133 were not the same board.)

7. Moshing

Moshing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 BOE@900core
    I had the K7M that came in a plain white box to hide it's existence from Intel.

8. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Was that back with the VIA chipset that allowed the P4 to run on standard ddr?

9. Moshing

Moshing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 BOE@900core
    Nope. K7M was the slot A, AMD chipset mobo for Athlon, the original K7 chips. Asus was in Intel's back pocket at the time and didn't want Intel knowing it was making any AMD based motherboards.

10. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Oh yeah I'm with you now, I recall VIA released their own board for the p4 to get that chipset out.

I know why I remember the K7M - I still have one somewhere......

Anyhow back on topic :p

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    K7M was one of the first Slot A, K7 Athlon motherboards. K7V133 was a VIA based Socket A motherboard supporting the Athlon Thunderbird series of processors.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  12. Moshing

Moshing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 BOE@900core
    Funny, that board ran solid as a rock with a Gold Finger Device (Outsideloop Afterburner) overclocked Athlon 500 at 700mhz for 2 years before being replaced with better, not due to failure. It kicked every other slot A boards butt in benchmarks and was totally stable. There was ALWAYS speculation the recall was balony to appease Intel since that board was extremely popular and very well regarded until socket A came out. Nothing ever gave me any grief on that board, nor anybody I knew who had one. It certainly kicked the only other option, the FIC SD-11 to the curb.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The shop I was dealing with at the time, ended up returning every K7M board they sold due to southbridge failures. Mine ended up being replaced by an FIC SD-11....which was replaced after almost 3 years with the ASUS K7V133 and an Athlon Thunderbird 1ghz, which suffered from a Bios failure after only 3 months...

14. Moshing

Moshing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 BOE@900core
    You had opposite luck then. I setup mine and several others for friends that NEVER had a problem. They ran like champs, I hated the SD-11. In fact, the whole reason I got the K7M was a dead SD-11 and the failure rates I was seeing in those. Biggest waste of PCB space I've ever seen, the thing had whole huge portions of board that had nothing in or on it! It was cheaply made and engineered compared to the Asus board which had all the same components of the best Asus Intel boards of the time and an efficient layout.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    @Moshing; Well, we are getting a bit off topic here, and I wasn't completely accurate. I have an Intel system with a DG31PR having the same issue that I neglected to mention.

@OP; if the system is working, it's nothing more than an irritation, which if you can live with it...I don't see a reason to worry too much about it.

If it's a condition you just simply can't live with, there are still motherboards available that can be used to replace your current board. My recommendation in that regard would be to avoid Biostar, but don't discount ASUS over this issue.

The condition is not considered "normal" for any motherboard...but it does happen. As long as the system is stable when booted, it's not worth worrying yourself to death over.

16. Moshing

Moshing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 BOE@900core
    Yup, this is what I was saying earlier, it's normal for many motherboards. Some get it fixed with a bios update, some don't. It's an irritant and little else.

17. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Something similar happened to my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. I was very irritaring and my overclock eventually returned to default values. After googling like crazy I found the definite solution. I appears to be a "fail safe" feature in many motherboards when the bios doesn't register a successful windows login-shutdown process after an overclock. Here's the fix, do it in this same sequence:

• Power off PC completely (no power to the PSU for at least 5 seconds).
    • Clear CMOS bios (though jumper or removing battery).
    • Power on the computer and go immediately to Bios.
    • Reapply all settings and your overclock to your liking.
    • Exit bios but don't reset or shutdown computer.
    • Let Windows login and then shutdown it though start menu.
    • Power off PC.

It's been 2 years now and it only happened again once the other day when I was fully cleaning my computer, taking it apart completely. Did the trick and it's perfect till this day. If it's the same thing, this fix will most likely solve your problems.