Idiots at PC Stores

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stromgold, Jan 4, 2009.

1. CasperTm

CasperTm Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 270X OC 2GB Gaming
    He putted in a gigabyte PSU.... After i returned it, i bought a chieftec 650W one! :)

2. Ukraver

Ukraver Master Guru

GPU:
    msi r280x oc
    pc world = staff with iq of 15

pc world tech guys = iq of 16

avarage pc user = iq of 100

gaming pc users = genius :)

3. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    haha, this thread is brilliant. I've just quit my job working as a tech... Well, a helpdesk analyst or some rubbish (temp Xmas job, don't ask). All the people I'm working with could fit into your stories brilliantly! We're only supporting an exchange platform... It's easy. They all sit here and bull**** their way through solutions/give callers the wrong information and all sorts.

It's ridiculous!

4. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    I was wondering when someone was gonna bring MicroCenter up! Granted, I havent bought anything from them in years, but I still go there to browse around. Its quite a drive from my home.

I dont know how the reps are here though, Iv never talked to them when I bought anything. Cuz I always knew exactly what I was looking for.

The only bad buy Iv ever done, and I actually dont consider it bad bad, but many years ago at best buy I spent $200 on 512MB DDR500 RAM. Granted this was back when DDR was the top, the days of the P4 and AMD Athlon dueling it out.

But I know, that even back then $200 for 512MB was a bit expensive haha. After I bought it my step-dad was like, $200?? I spent that on 1GB! But that RAM, I have tested, and is certified by me to actually go past 250mhz at latencies given without a problem. And it still works till this day. So it turned out to be a very good quality product, but probably wasnt worth exactly the price.

5. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Ill have to agree on that one.....I didnt wanna say anything though. But in my experience, abit is sorta a budget brand. Where as Gigabyte is aimed for more enthusiast. Thats just been my experience though.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Abit is now an extinct brand.... their product quality was never the best, but wasn't the worst either.

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    always research before you buy. everyone here should not be relying on any shop's employees.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    We all did at one time or another....depending on when exactly you got started. Sites like this weren't the most reliable when I started building in 96... So, was either rely on PC Mag, local shops or idiots working at CompUSA...

9. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I was building a gaming computer for my cousin a couple of years back (e8400, 4gb ram, 9800gt etc) and i said "any decent motherboard will do" and waited to see what he would bring out, he brought out a cheap intel one you might find in a $300 dell or acer in a school/office running on integrated graphics lol. Of corse i told him to take it back, ended up getting almost the same p45 board i have running in my 2nd rig (gigabyte ep45-dr3r).

Only place i have seen decently smart people serving is in a Centrecom store near Melbourne.

10. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The Abit ip35 pro and the ip35 pro xe were both very excellent boards/I had both and they were very stable.

11. Raptess

Raptess Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780
    I have been building PCs for about 15 years now and I also manage a game store but it amazes me just how many people come in to buy a game, that have absolutely ZERO clue as to what is in their PC ..
    Honestly, I would say about 60% of my PC game customers are 100% clueless.
    The bigger PC companies know this and they bleed it for all its worth.

Its even funny when I ask them what the PC has in it and they say something like 'Oh its a big machine, it plays Diablo / Quake' .. or .. 'Its a really good one, it cost $1000 about 5 years ago, so it should play everything ok'
    Or some of the better responces to the question 'What graphics card do you have ?'
    "Oh its big, it has 500GB" .. "Whats a graphics card?" .. "Its a 19 inch LCD" .. lol

Now its not their fault they have no idea ..
    I blame the company that they bought it from, because they never let people know just how long it will be before they 'SHOULD' need to upgrade.
    They sell them off the shelf as complete home PC's and tell people it will do everything they want it to do.

I also worked at one of these store for about 3 months before I told them to stick it ..
    During that time, I was constantly bombarded from the Manager and Head Office telling me to push the 'OLD STUFF' out the door before they had to right it off to make room for newer hardware.
    But I never once recommended / sold a product to a customer that did not suit what they needed ..
    This got me into many 'Performance Review' meetings with the boss, because I was selling the good stuff before the crap ..
    So I can see both sides of this problem ..

But yes ..
    Some people just should never have been employed in this industry ..
    Arguing with your customer, telling them to buy something different that does not meet the requirements is just stupid.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I used to have the ABit KN9 SLI ( http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/moth...ail.php?pMODEL_NAME=KN9+SLI&fMTYPE=Socket+AM2 ). It wasn't a bad board...had some stability issues with Vista. Ran XP flawlessly though. The network ports never functioned properly either...if there wasn't a piece of Cat5e plugged into both network ports, neither would work.

13. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    the problem with the story... these idiots tend to give ppl that realy have no clue false advice. and they even behave in such a way that a clueless guy will return to the shop to buy more....

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    They're paid to get sales....not give advice... In most cases, they aren't trained at all.

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    there are many things to say about techs,sales and big chain tech stores...
    i worked as a freelance fixing computers and i bought stuff from different stores
    i met people who deserved to laugh in their face and also met really good tech people.
    now i am working as a technician in a computer store- a franchise
    sometimes i advise people NOT to spend money blindly on a computer,and my boss gets VERY angry.
    it is best bang for buck versus milking the client and since it is not my store i end up fighting about this and that.....
    i try to sell honestly and i usually end selling really easy a 1500 computer and my boss is struggling selling a 500 computer.
    people are not stupid and their computer knowledge background maybe be low but almost everyone can smell a lie form a mile..
    my boss was almost at the point of cutting my contract several times when i refused to sell cheapo PSUs but everytime the client returned and bought a quality one and thanked me.....

the best part i get from this job that a lot of people returned to thank me about not lying them...for me is like getting a big paycheck..i end up giving them my bussines card and i fix theirs computers in my free time.
    telling the truth is hard but the reward is nice.

16. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    @ sykozis...i never knew what was up with Abit and those puke colored pcb they used...i liked the blue and black of the ip35 pro boards

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Another thing I just remembered. Around 6-7 years ago when I ordered my first gaming pc online, it all appeared fine.

However, after playing some random games, the pc would magically turn off from time to time....

After this happened more and more frequently, I took a good look at all the parts...

Turns out the company that assembled my pc stuck in an UNBRANDED 400w psu...lol...

When I saw this I immediately throw it in the bin, went to the shop and bought & installed my own 650w Tagan psu...

Ever since, I have built my own pc since I cannot trust any shop to build me a proper machine.

I have built 3-4 of my own pc's for personal use after this issue and never have I had any problems....Apart from faulty ram!! :bang:

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's very lucky. I've had many motherboards and video cards die over the years. Before solid state capacitors the caps on mobos would burst all the time. Particularly a during certain period in time when 99% of the caps were so cheaply made (in Taiwan of course) they were guaranteed to fail in under a year. Asus in my experience was notorious for that reason, as was MSI (yeah I'll never let it go).

Though I've never had any RAM die that I can verify. The RAM on my Pentium 1 system supposedly died but I didn't build that and someone took it to a computer shop to have it repaired. For all I know the repairman was BSing just to sell some crappy RAM, it seemed like a PSU issue (random shutdowns without a BSoD).

19. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    You are awesome. Kudos to you. Integrity is hard to find anymore. 1,000 internets to you sir!

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @nvlddmkm:
    i am just applying a simple principle
    don´t lie and ask for the truth in return
    the other side of me as a technician is that i also smell a lie from a mile distance,people are trying to lull me to get a warranty replace....but i gained the name -Eye- always see the small hidden details that ruins the whole plot...however i try always to offer best service even when the client is lying.
    being polite has the nice effect to bring even the most worst clients to their manners and act like human beings
    the downside is you get very pissy about everything at the end of the day.

in my free time i visit big chain stores like PC Store/World and i always i am amazed how those people got their job there...really ,how?
    it is THAT hard to read a few tech lines a day just to keep up with the latest stuff? :bang:

@kanej2007

stuffing cheapo PSU in computers is seen as being a good salesman in some stores.before i started to work here they practiced this sport a LOT,and i was the guy who got all the punches in the face....because the guys who did that got fired.
    i started to evanghelize the *PSU IS TEH HEART OF YOUR COMPUTER*not your CPU....my boss almost got me fired trying to talk a guy into buying CORSAIR HX750 ,but the guy was so convinced ,he bought that PSU and shook my hand
    -Thank you for for taking care of my hard earned money-
    That day i was rewarded :banana: