Dead Space 2 Anti-Aliasing + Soft Shadows

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NODO-GT, Feb 2, 2011.

1. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    I opened new thread, cuz lot's of people were asking how to enable AA.
    I know there is another one but it was originally for DS 1...

there are 2 different compatibility modes for AA Nvidia users can use with Dead Space 2. (as for ATi users with latest cards, can use MLAA (enable from CCC).

anyway you will need latest drivers that have special AA flags for games that use deferred rendering (Dead Space, Need for speed HP, saboteur). for example 266.58.
    then you need Nvidia Inspector tool.

Now in Inspector you go to driver profile settings and make it look like this :) :
    [​IMG]

Anti-Aliasing compatibility: 0x00411245 or 0x00401045 (both act identical)
    Anti-Aliasing Mode: Override any application setting
    Anti-Aliasing Settings: 2x 4x or 8x Multisample AA (don't use SuperSampling or CSAA)
    Anti-Aliasing Transparency: Enabled
    Anti-Aliasing Transparency Supersamling: any (2x-8x)

This method gives u AA + Working Soft Shadows (in game :Very High and High Shadow settings)

But the downside is that AA is not perfect and very rarely you get white lines around some objects. (See comparison screenshots).

Now if you want perfect AA then you have to lower your shadow settings to Normal or Low, cuz in this case soft shadows will not work.
    to do so just use different Anti-Aliasing compatibility:
    0x004030C0
    most of you already now about it :) but anyway.

Now here are some shots of game with No AA, with Anti-Aliasing compatibility: 0x00411245, and with 0x004030C0(Shadows on Very High, and Normal).

this screens reflect all differences of compatibility modes. You should look on the book that's on the table, you can easily say if AA is working. also look at chair and shadows coming from it.

NO Anti-Aliasing (In Game Edge-AA on) Shadows: Very High
    [​IMG]
    Anti-Aliasing compatibility: 0x004030C0 Shadows: Very High
    [​IMG]
    You can see that soft shadows are not working. but we get AA on book and other objects.
    Anti-Aliasing compatibility: 0x004030C0 Shadows: Medium
    [​IMG]
    Medium and Low quality shadows are working with this AA.
    Anti-Aliasing compatibility: 0x00411245 Shadows: Very High
    [​IMG]
    you can see that "white line" around Helmet

choose option that suits you most :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Hum thanks for trying but it's not really working. It doesn't soft edge that much and pretty much only adds white lines.

Nvidia just need to fix it and add AO while we're at it.

3. Aveon

Aveon Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2
    Hey
    Any of you guys experiencing random stuttering in the game

4. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    What kind of performance hit can you expect with AA enabled with nvidia cards? On my HD5870@1ghz/1300mhz + MLAA you get kind of good AA with minimal performance hit. Thats almost the best thing about MLAA, you barely see any increase in gpu load.

Ps. Thx for starting a new thread, it is better this way.

5. BigMyke

BigMyke Member

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SC SLI
    Since a DS2 thread was made relating AA and shadows. I'll share some Sreenies of mine with me doing some tweaking with inspector.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. seero

seero Guest

GPU:
    2x 660Ti DirectCU II TOP
    major hit 100-170fps

7. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Bigmyke, thats looking great. But if you going to post screens, could you atleast tell us those tweaks you mentioned so we can test them too? But once again, looking great. What kind of performance are you having, and settings? Do you have 60fps whole time?

How do you mean, are you being sarchastic or do you mean 100-170 minus from using NO AA(I mean 100fps less than before:))? Could you explain?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  8. seero

seero Guest

GPU:
    2x 660Ti DirectCU II TOP
    yes i mean less before AA + Soft Shadows 140-200+fps now bout 45-60fps all maxed 1920x1080

9. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    I just noticed when I use the normal shadow AA comp and set it at 8x AA I get about 30-40% gpu usage but when I set it to 8xQ I get 99% gpu usage with my GTX470. Seems a little extreme to jump 60% or does this happen with everyone? I guess I should use 8xQ since it seems to play a little smoother with the high usage or should I not?

10. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    i will add this to the AA guide with the note that its not a perfect solution.

thanks NODO-GT

11. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Oh ok thx for clearing that up, seero. That is a huge performance hit, im happy as long as the game stays over 59. ;) I think im gonna continue playing on my htpc(ati+mlaa).

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well this setting might not be perfect but it's an alternative option nevertheless so thanks to the original poster for sharing. :D

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well I've just tried the 0x00401045 settings with 4xMSAA and Very High shadows and it works beautifully. I'm not getting the white edge on the helmet either (unless it is specific to the section of the game the screenshot shows or maybe it's caused by using supersampling, which I'm not using).

Thanks a million this, NODO-GT... at least I can play Dead Space 2 with AA *and* maximum shadows.

14. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    @Darren

You wouldn't be able to post a pic with it on and 1 with it off would you ( off meaning in game AA is on ) because my only save is just before the last 'boss' and the lights flicker etc at that point and it's impossible to get a comparison shot and tell.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm only on Chapter 7 but I have been taking screenshots with Afterburner with AA on. It is easy enough for me to take a couple more, one with AA forced on and the other with in-game AA only, so I'll try and post them later on tonight (provided I remember). I did play the game for about 10 mins this morning using the new AA setting, prior to work, and I never saw any white line around the helmet. The forced 4xMSAA using 0x00401045 didn't look quite as good as with 0x004030C0 but that is more than made up for by the fact I can use Very High (i.e. soft) shadows.

16. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Awesome, I'm saving my third playthrough for when the pc fix for the armours is out but if I can play through aliasing free I'll fire it up again.

17. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    I would say it is working but not that good :)
    actually it is possible to enable AO too but it will kill FPS

sure
    great AA guide BTW :)

nice to hear
    you will get that white lines even with TSAA off...

I think we can all agree that this flag gives us aa between in game and 0x004030C0 AA. but if you want soft shadows than it's way to go :)

dchalf10
    I can post more comparison shots, but i guess you would prefer some one else to do that :)
    actually member thales100 posted his comparison shots
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3873473&postcount=143

"new flag"
    [​IMG]
    "in game aa"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  18. Punisher!|ITA

Punisher!|ITA Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    Thanks a lot for the guide:

Just two question:
    - is 0x00411245 and 0x00401045 exactely the same?
    - with override on, is in-game anti-aliasing setting totally useless (no differences between ON and OFF)?

Thanks.

Goodbye.

19. Quatrix

Quatrix Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Thanks for this. The page below sums it up better though:

http://solidlystated.com/software/dead-space-2-anti-aliasing/

1. Leave it alone, have jagged edges on everything, have very nice shadows
    2. Use Flag 0×00411245, get some minor AA, have very nice shadows, have strange white pixels/edges on objects and suit
    3. Use Flag 0x004030C0, get really good AA, have normal level shadows, shadows occasionally break, cant Alt+Tab out of game

It's disappointing that after the developers had more than two years to think about it, the antialiasing situation is even worse than in the first game, where I had 4x supersampling with no side-effects. The tradeoffs are bad enough that I may just stick with the built-in edge antialiasing.

20. GPU

GPU Guest

I just started playing a week ago.
    -it's not a bad looking game -all maxed @ 1920x1200
    -hardly 5-10% gpu use-age and not a flicker in the game. once I disabled the joy stick on my g13[in device manager] -was spinning circles like a top. lol
    -temps at 28 & 30c