HP 2310ei 23 inch Monitor, Good Deal?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shorty270490, Jan 22, 2011.

1. shorty270490

shorty270490 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6870
    HP LED Backlit 23" Monitor, Good Deal?

Picked up this HP 2310ei for £135 brand new on an ebay auction, the lowest i've seen it advertised for is around £205 on the web.

It looks real qaulity boasting a 8000000 / 1 dynamic contrast ratio and it's LED backlit. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the monitor. I'm not to clever when it comes to screens and it was an impulse buy, I was just wondering if theres any brain boxes out there who can give me their thoughts? :)

Found a website which gives the best specs...

http://www.saverstore.com/product/20070244/7725665/HP-2310ei-23-LCD-Monitor-Black

Heres a picture of the beauty...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. shorty270490

shorty270490 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6870
  3. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i like the way ot looks..never seen it in person but it seems like a great deal

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Don't buy a TN and don't buy a 23" monitor. Even 1 inch makes a monitor look so much bigger... and never forget that TNs stink. Their viewing angle is an atrocity and they all have 12 bit colour which is supplemented by dithering to simulate real colour.

Even with an advertised 8 million to 1 contrast ratio, it will not have good/deep black. There IS NO STANDARD for contrast ratio, each company can have whatever test for contrast they please and advertise the results of that. So never rely on advertised contrast for an idea of how deep the black on it will be.

My monitor is just about as good as any TN can possibly be and I hate it.

5. shorty270490

shorty270490 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6870
    Well thats refreshing, all i've got to say to you is... :puke2:

Seriously though why wouldn't it have a good deep black? I've been reading about the TN's and it kind of backs up what you say but surely it being LED and having a 8000000 to 1 contrast ratio will make a difference, It also has this brightview thing?. You've got me worried now ;). If I don't like it i'll just sell it on, I got it for cheap and i'm sure I could shift it for around £180. the viewing angle isn't that important to be honest as I have another screen for watching films on. The colours really do matter though as i'm really into graphic art.

The screen size is actually perfect, my brother has a 22inch just purchased samsung LED recently so i'll be comparing it to that.

Thanks for your honesty anyway, I can't find reviews from people who have already purchased the item.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  6. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    no TN panel i know off have any real panel contrast of higher than 1000:1 .. thats just what the generic tn panel has.

so however they get 8million or 80million to 1 contrast ratio is most likely a sham, sure you can gain a little by good dimming backlights etc.

But that kind of advertisement numbers just aint right.

And as he said most TN panels can only replicate 85% of the sRGB spectrum and only support low depth colours, gains the rest through dithering.

only upside to tn panels is the low production cost and the good refresh rate.

That being said, if its cheap enough then i dont mind using tn. but i'd prefer an IPS

7. shorty270490

shorty270490 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6870
    Thats a static ratio your thinking of, it has 1000/1 static ratio but 8000000/1 dynamic ratio. I don't think i've seen many before above 5000000/1. The static ratio is what can be displayed on the screen at one time, dynamic is between the brightest bright and the darkest dark.

I'm not bothered about the Response time, I'm never going to notice if its faster or slower anyway, I just care about the colours. I purchased this because of its price, it's looks and the fact it has a very, very high Dynamic contrast ratio. I don't care about bad viewing angles or whether it has a superb response time.

I'm hoping I haven't made the wrong choice. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  8. shorty270490

shorty270490 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6870
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crcYOZX8I6k

I found a video of a similar but less expensive screen to mine showing the viewing angles. It seems fine to me, only when you look up at the screen does it become a problem. I doubt i'll ever be looking up at the screen anyway.

I'm just hoping the colours look good. =]

9. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    I had a very similar screen, a w2207h. It was really good. That's a steal for £135... Just do it!

10. shorty270490

shorty270490 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6870

11. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Gratz, let us know what you think of it!

12. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I had a w2207h as well..still mine just down in indiana with the ex wife...supposed to mail it to me this weekend with all my other pc components...any way my girl got the same monitor and i can not wait to get mines back

13. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Although the monitor you purchased isnt bad, if you do graphic art and colors are very important to you, you should invest in an IPS panel monitor. I use both TN (office) and IPS (home) and I can tell the difference especially when looking at the 3d rendering I do. in the TN it looks washed out no matter how I adjust the colors whereas its more vibrant with the IPS. Luckily for me, as im using an e5400 at the office, I do my rendering work at home..adjusting graphics on my TN is a pain when I got used to IPS panel quality

14. shorty270490

shorty270490 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6870
    I'll decide when it comes. IPS monitors seem very expensive. As it's for my home I'm also looking for a quite stylish monitor. I'll mainly be browsing the net, using illustrator/photoshop, and gaming.

If you can link me to some decent IPS monitors I would be grateful. If the monitor isn't to my liking I could always sell for a profit. :)

15. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080

16. shorty270490

shorty270490 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6870
    Thats a beauty. It would really be the best option if the graphic element was all I wanted. The option of mounting it at both angles is great.

I will be using it for entertainment perposes mostly aswell as uni work now and again. I get a few commissions once in a while but nothing major. For the moment I think i've found the perfet screen.

Oh it arrived by the way, I'll be updating the thread with some pictures of the screen. I'll try to pick up the different viewing angles. It's far better than my old LCD. The picture is just unbelievably good, far better than I expected. I would highly reccomend the screen to most people.

17. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    We Sell these monitors at work,i dont understand all the tech specs on it, but on our monitor wall along with asus,acer, samsung led (samsung leds are the worst monitors ive ever seen imo) benq etc it stands out, looks very very nice,nice and bright and its looks nice cosmetically as well.
    All so two of my friends have them and black ops and wow look very good

18. shorty270490

shorty270490 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6870
    I'm really glad I got one, It's awsome. :D