AMD 6 Core or i7 2600k?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by AMD4Sho, Jan 20, 2011.

1. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    SB is about as big a leap as a new GPU when it comes to FPS, which is rare when it comes to CPU's. Having games where you can get +10FPS is MAJOR performance improvements.

2. Zahn

Zahn Active Member

GPU:
    VTX HD 6870
    So you want to tell that is better to have 2600K+Gtx 460 1 Gb

VS Phenom 955@ 3.8 and Gtx 580?

In my opinion Phenom 955 + stronger GFX card is by far better choice.

3. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    Let's not forget Intel's superior chipset as well...:)

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Not sure what you mean superior, seems to me the AMD chipsets have just as many features as the Intel chipset. AMD's chipset have native SATA III too which the current Intel chipsets don't.

deltatux

5. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    How about a 2500k + a 580? Intel wins, obviously.

AMD needs a new price point.

6. Zahn

Zahn Active Member

GPU:
    VTX HD 6870
    The point is that OP wants to chage from:

Phenom 955 to 2600k and GTX 460,

so if he wants 2600K he need new MBO+DDR3.

Thats why i sad that its better for OP to stay at Phenom 955 and buy stronger graphic card.

EDIT:

Do you think you would feel deffrence between 955 and 2500K on GTX 580?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  7. psybersoma

psybersoma Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 OC 725/1450/1850
    I've pondered this Intel and AMD option in my next build as well.. Do I wait for the AMD Bulldozer or go with the Intel i7 2600K??

The only thing I can see that Intel has over AMD is the Hyper-threading function, which supposedly AMD Bulldozer will finally mimic. That's really the only reason why Intel is better at benchmarking over AMD. It can do 2 threads per core whereas AMD is still only doing 1. If the Phenom II X6 had Hyper-threading, it would be beating the ever living **** out of Intel in benchmarking..

8. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    false, intel is better clock per clock a 3.2ghz sandy bridge is better than a 3.2ghz phenom II core. hyperthreading barely increases performance most of the time and sometimes even makes things slower.

also its stupid to not wait for bulldozer. unless you cant possibly wait then get somethign now but if u can wait do so.

9. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i have a 1090t with a gtx580. the 1090t at 4ghz bottlenecks the gtx580 to the point where its not worth the $300AU price hike over the gtx570.

so running a 955 with a gtx580 would probably be worse in games that support 6 cores (if there are any), and just as bad in games that support less than 4 cores.

so yes, i would say its better to get a 2500k or 2600k with a gtx460.

10. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I think the point a few people are getting at is that his current 955 is more than enough for everything out there and like me would benefit more from a GPU upgrade, the 560 reviews are out and looking good so looks like thats what il be having next.

11. AMD4Sho

AMD4Sho Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Alright, well I really had my mind set on a new CPU, but from the sounds of things I am better off waiting for the new bulldozer comparison. Look like I will be buying a new GPU, more than likely a GTX 460, and I'll wait for now to see what AMD has in store. I will also be installing a SSD, and a additional 4gb of ram.

A quick question on RAM though. Do my RAM need to match one another in all aspects to function properly? The current OCZ Reaper sticks I have in there now are no longer made for DDR2. My board can handle up to 1066 DDR2, and it looks like the best memory I can find now is 800 DDR2. Should I just buy 8gb of the same type of memory, or am I safe mixing and matching?

12. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    i'd buy the newly released GTX 560 Ti instead of the gtx 460..it might cost more but the gtx 560 is a good card

P.S you can add different RAM...but it's recommended to use same ram or else you could have anomalies.
    if you use 800 mhz and 1066 mhz all ram sticks will be read at 800 mhz. it applies to timings also.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  13. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Id have to agree, get a 560 and that system will eat everything you throw at it, thats what im planning on doing.

14. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    At this time the i7 2600k is best cpu for the dollar don't even consider a amd cpu. A few more months this might change with bulldozer from amd but that's pure speculation.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Thing is, the AMD hexacore will cost much less for the OP to upgrade to. He would only need to buy the CPU itself and not change the platform.

Bulldozer is indeed still a rumour, but my hopes are up. Even if it gives us the performance of the 980X, it's still a great news.

deltatux

16. Zahn

Zahn Active Member

GPU:
    VTX HD 6870
  17. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
  18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ye, I didn't even thought about telling the OP to put Bulldozer at all lol.

I did mean Thuban as per his original question (which is also the thread title) lol.

deltatux

19. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    only just saw this post.

uhh, from looking at that screenshot, those arent load temps... amd overdrive is showing 0% load for the last several minutes in the screenshot. those are idle temps...

20. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Leave the CPU alone, buy new kickass GFX card... (GTX560, HD6950, GTX570, HD6970, GTX580, whatever you can afford).