Dead Space II PC Confirmed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 12, 2010.

1. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    not just piracy

even console games get pirated

2. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    wtf? :3eyes:

I never said console games weren't pirated! :bang:

Was Dead Space 2 nearly canned on the consoles because of piracy? (I'll help you out) No, it wasn't...

I'm just surprised that in the thread of a PC game we are lucky to be getting, due to the fact the original game only sold 40,000 copies, that people are talking about torrents before it's even been released.

3. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    It's unfortunate but inevitably there will always be some member who will try to spoil the fun for everyone else. Good guys finish last unfortunately.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    SO... How about that Dead Space 2 that comes out in TWO days huh. ;)
    Really, piracy is a never ending debate... so it's absolutely pointless to try and discuss.

I'd rather discuss how awesome the game will be instead.

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yes, I know no one with a PS3 or X360 who is willing to buy Dead Space 2 for it, as they're not interested.

I can't believe you're such an idiot as to buy a game, and if you don't like it, just toss it away. They -do not- allow PC games to be returned in my state if the box is opened. There is also NO guarantee Steam will do a refund.

Every game I own there was either a beta, or demo first. I bought Men of War, with no desire to play it online. Even though I had already played it for hundreds of hours with a torrented copy. Same with Company of Hero's.

I'm not saying every game I torrent I'll buy, but the ones I enjoy and think deserve money I will. You can return a console game, but you can't return a PC game. So it's fundamentally flawed. Also, the Dead Space PC sales would have been the same regardless of piracy. Yeah, I'm not ****ting you.

Dead Space was an unknown IP with little hype on the PC, it turned out to be a great game, but for it's time was considered to have low resolution textures, problems with the mouse, and overall alot of people hated the console like controls. I liked it, though.

Dead Space 2 having Multiplayer seriously interests me, as it looks like a more frightening L4D...better atmosphere, basically, more interesting weapons. So it's a real possibility. Even if Dead Space 2 was somehow never cracked, they'd -still- blame piracy.

Ubisoft blamed piracy of AC2 for low PC sales two weeks before a crack was even released. SO yeah.

Now I know defending piracy solves nothing as you all still think it's hogwash, but I'm just putting out the truth. Sure not everyone who pirates will buy it, but some do, and a company need's to learn a demo or beta of some sort can help them with sales massively.

StarCraft II's beta was cracked when it was released. Oddly enough; people were selling Beta keys for up to 300$ despite this, and people -were- buying them. Kinda says if you put the effort in, it will sell. 3.4 Million sales on PC within the first month when you could just easily pirate it says something...you treat a PC gamer right, you get your sales. You screw them over, they screw you over.

Sure, it's not right, and it scares away developers, but that's just how the PC market is. We're not a bunch of chumps who buy into stupid ****.

------

And yeah, the game will surely be awesome based on the video, even if MP looks like they really tried hard to copy L4D, but that's a good thing, I hope they have good variety also.

I also hope my PC is good enough to run this maxed out like DS1. Obviously this means I'm hoping the graphics aren't that much better, but yes, I'm selfish like that, DS1 @ 60FPS maxed was breath taking.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    The game has the same minimum specs are DS1, which I was able to play on full, i'm hoping that I can do the same on this, which was why I was hoping for a demo.

Else it'll just be the ps3 version.

7. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    I'm talking about the f**king demo, not the full game... and I simply don't believe that you don't know anyone with a PS3 or 360.

Wtf? Ever heard of a 'review'? Ever heard of websites such as GameRankings or MetaCritic???

How does that work then? The game was probably downloaded illegally more times than it was actually bought legally... are you sure all amongst all those tens of thousands of downloads there wasn't a few thousand lost sales? Absolute bullsh1t!

In 2010 Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was downloaded 3,960,000 times.

http://torrentfreak.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-most-pirated-game-of-2010-101228/

This AC2 thing was more about people protesting to Ubisoft against their crappy new copy protection, but I'm sure you know that.

This 'no demo' excuse for piracy is getting old, tired and very lame.

How exactly did we get screwed over with the original Dead Space??? I'll give you an example, one of the most downloaded games of 2009/10 was Street Fighter IV, how did Capcom screw PC gamers over with that game? It was superior to the console version and Capcom have an excellent record recently on the PC.

http://torrentfreak.com/the-most-pirated-games-of-2009-091227

Mass Effect 2 was downloaded illegally 3,240,000 times in 2010... and you think some of those weren't lost sales???

No, people pirate games because they want something for nothing.

No, you're a thief.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I don't, I really don't. All my friends are PC gamers, we have PS2's, PS1's, and a N64, but that's it. So we have no way of knowing weather the game will be fun or not without buying it. I don't see myself as a thief, but sure, that's what people like to call it.

If not for torrents, alot of companies wouldn't have my money by now, as I would never have bought their games without them. Also, some movies have proven successful only because of torrents:

http://moreintelligentlife.com/story/internet-piracy-is-good-for-films-1

How can you even trust a review these days? Modern Warfare, a game using a 2003 Engine, got a 10 in graphics, while Bad Company 2, looking about 5x better, got a 9 on most sites! They're paid off.

Videos can't tell me if I'll actually have fun with a game, they're usually edited, and even if not, they show only the exciting parts. If I had just watched videos of alot of games I torrented, I never would have bought them, because watching someone else play is not as fun as watching yourself play.

9. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Nice guys finish last. Always.

10. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55709

Also, Steam sales don't figure into that 40,000 number, as Steam doesn't release sales figures. Regardless no, there was not a few thousand sales lost there. If you pirate a game, you're most likely not to have bought it in the first place, hence no money lost.

11. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    I'm going to the pub and I'm not going to continue this futile conversation.

However, I loved Dead Space and I'm sure I'll love the second when I buy it on the day of release.

12. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Lets not forget the guy who gave kain and lynch a well deserved rubbish review and got sacked because edios were paying the site to have banners and ads for it all over the place, reviews sites are a joke these days just like Mkilbride said, also playing it on console is not going to tell if its going to be a rubbish port on pc.

13. ThatDelirium

ThatDelirium Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 1GB
    While I'm not fond of piracy this has to be one of the most absurd post I've seen.

I'm sorry, there's no lost sales in there, losing a sale would imply the theft of a physical copy, or are you trying to imply that those people were willing to actually buy it blindly in the first place?

Hell, there are quite a lot who actually do buy the game after trying it to see if they liked it, I would try to find that article I've seen a while back, but it was in French, so I don't know if you'd understand it, but the consensus was that people who pirate a game are much more likely to buy the game than those who don't as they know what they're in for when they do buy it.
    It doesn't make it any less illegal, but I wouldn't cry "lost sale" so quickly.

Then there's Steam, whom, as mentioned, do not actually release their numbers, you'd be very surprised at how popular Steam is among PC gamers, they're probably the ones selling the most.

I don't support piracy, but goddamn, trying to play the paragon of virtue like that is rather ridiculous. Things aren't so black and white in the real world, where the negative can have positives and the positive can have negatives.

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I just read into the whole steam not releasing sales figures, it seems its up to the publishers if they want to release that stuff or not, and they get very up to date figures from steam.

15. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Exactly, they could claim 40,000 retail sales of PC Dead Space, or EA Download manager, but may not release the few hundred thousand on Steam or so.

It's harder to break into the PC market also, developers who are mainly console these day think piracy is to blame, but it's not, it's because we're set in our ways, we like our old franchises, and hate almost anything new. We're kinda like grumpy old men, while the console generation is a bunch of "hip" kiddies. It's easier to sell to them because they don't really think to much. When I buy a game, I look up reviews, however worthless the yare, I look up user reviews, I check out videos, screenshots, and I check torrent sites to see download numbers.

A small share of Indie developers have actually thanked Piracy for getting their game well known, as well as Indie movie developers. A group of pirates held a donation and gathered over 100,000$ for the makers of The Man From Earth. Doesn't seem like much when you compare it to a Hollywood blockbuster, but certainly not the "Thief" Community you point us out to be. We support those who deserve it.

16. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    yeah...there are many cases, but you are just a pirate.

17. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    meh I pirated ME2, it became my fave game so I bought it, I agree u can't just blame piracy, Black Ops was massively pirated but still a sold stupid amount of copies

18. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I also pirated ME2... Leaked version came out before the legal and I had collectors edition on pre-ordered. Passed that game before the hard copy arrived.

Same thing has happened with quite a few other games too.

I know people who just dl games for fun but dont have time to play or dont even want to play those. Or "lets see what's with all this hype" ... "Ah, game sucks, delete after few hours".

19. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  20. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    I rarely use Torrents now !

As for RS/HF/MU being slow and limited well thats is not true !

Until recently RS was unlimited and that is why they now lost a ton of customers inc myself.

I go to private membership sites where I can trust the files as much as a private membership torrent site I then add the multiple RS/HF/MU links into my DL Mananger and it grabs them all at same time at my full 50Mbit/Sec (Virgin Media).

If its only 1 single link I simply click on it and it opens DL manager without me needing to even see the webpage from RS/HF/MU as this is a setting in the account you make.

I think I pay like £3pm when you break it down because I paid for long term usage.

It is a PIA to seed back torrents now as Virgin Media traffic shape now and calbe has a 10/1 ratio for DL/UL speed.

I am not directly talking about pirating the above game so do not give me warez BS (to anyone here)