Where to get cheap GTX480 after market cooler?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by xinhang, Jan 22, 2011.

1. xinhang

xinhang Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX480 SSC
    Looking to give my GTX480 an aftermarket cooler so I can do some serious OC on it. I'm debating between the zalman, accelero extreme and gelid icy visions. Any of those three are fine with me, so I'm wondering where I can get one for cheap.

2. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Forget the Geild Icy. Its not in same league as others.

You wont get any cheap, you will get them for the market value in your country.

If you go for Arctic excellero extreme plus, you also need to buy the VR004 kit for the fixing bracket.
    Buts its better than the Zalman.

Thermalright also have a good cooler for Fermi cards, forget the name... buts its better than than the Zalman, and equal to the Arctic, but you also need to buy a seperate thermalright VRM cooler also.

3. Ruggy

Ruggy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 570 sli Gelid coolers
    I just got 2 Geild Icy rev 2 cooler for my 570 sli & i think their awesome!

idle temps 25oC 28oC full max temp 47oC 59oC & clocked @ 800c 1600s 1980m 1025v

The pair cost £75

[​IMG]

4. fredbuckman

fredbuckman New Member

GPU:
    2-gtx480 SLI
    Arctic Cooler

I have the Accelero XTREME Plus..Works Great Dropped the temps 20 degrees from the stock EVGA cooler at max load..Even quieter than the stock cooler..If you are running SLI make sure you have enough room to run these because they are thicker than stock..

5. Ruggy

Ruggy Guest

GPU:
    Xinhang here is shot of my temp playing BFBC2 for 1hr @ stock the Geild Icy Rev.2 is the Cheapest cooler & you dont need to order the backing plate, their supplyed in the box.

[​IMG]

6. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Ouch, 59'c and at only a small 800mhz ?????

Damn. my Acellero Extreme Plus reaches max temp of 48'c @ 864/1728/2000 - and thats with more volts aswell of 1.05v, and after a 1 hour stress test of OCCT - not gameplay which never fully maxes power/temps.

If I game with BC2 at these settings it reaches 40 ish.

It also only cost £33.55 https://www.pricelover.com/product/Arctic_Cooling_Accelero_XTREME_Plus_VGA_Cooler/DCACO-DG15G001-CS/
    plus £3 for the VR004 kit from Arctic...so about the same price as your ICY's.....

The Gelid also has the worst VRM cooling.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1103-page5.html
    And thats just with a oc'd 5870, i'd expect it to fair even worse on a behemoth of a 480.

However none of the aftermarket solutions offer very good VRM cooling for 480's (and indeed 5x0's), so its a concern really all round... with the exception of thermalright's epic GRM V2 vrm cooler http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=145&cat_id=29

Geilds are sweet coolers and would be better than stock 480 cooling for sure, but for OC'ing i'd be worried about the VRM's...and for the price you may as well get a better cooler for a few more $

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. Ruggy

Ruggy Guest

GPU:
    the awnser to that is sli runs alot hotter than 1 card, im sure you no that!:bang:

8. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Good point !!!

Is that why you've strapped another big fan on top of your cards, to aid the Geild's ??

Ps, are those temps you've posted from the open case setup in your picture ??
    If so your temps are even less impressive.

9. Ruggy

Ruggy Guest

GPU:

The big fan its only a 120mm & thats where the fan goes on the open Dimastech bench case!

And for the less impressive temp please they used to run 81/75 oC b4 i change them so please stop you comments! :wanker:

10. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Nice reduction in temps then, result :infinity:

Not bad coolers those Geild's, but as stated before, not in the same league as the Accelero Extreme Plus.

For the same price you'd get the Arctic everytime....

11. Ruggy

Ruggy Guest

GPU:

Im not desagreeing with you!? i had 1 on my 5970.

If they wasnt 56mm in depth i would have 2 but they would touch! the Geild's are 52mm in depth so their the only 1's that would fit with my board

I even have 2 x VR004 kits i orderd b4 i checked the size lol :nerd:

12. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    I can attest to this, back before the Arctic coolers were available for the GTX 480 I purchased a Gelid cooler, it was a very nice improvement over the stock cooler and if a person could get one at a good price I would recommend it.

However I have also tried out the Arctic solution on the GTX 480 as well and that cooler is in a different league all together. Its quiter in operation and cools a great deal better than the Gelid particularly when you start to add voltage to the card. The Gelid did a great job up until a certain point of increasing the voltage and then the cooler sort of hits its thermal threshold and simply cant handle any more while the Arctic solution takes voltage like a champ and keeps on asking for more.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  13. phaT-X

phaT-X Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3060 Ti
    occassionally I fart in my case to warm it up :banana:

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    So the zalman is highly recommended??

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I read the Gelid one is damn noisy because the fans always run at 100% when plugged into the Cards Fan Header.

Seeing i got Arctic experience since my 7800 GTX's in SLI i would suggest an Arctic Cooler.

Arctic Accelero XTREME Plus + VR004
    Arctic Accelero XTREME Plus 2 (does not need the VR004 Kit)

The Plus (1) is a discontinued product btw, i suggest you go for the Plus 2.

The GTX 480 uses 100% the same layout as a GTX 580 so it should fit just fine.

I warn you tho, TRIPLE CHECK before applying any heatsinks. That mainly goes for the VRM part where there is some "greyish" clay-like material you have to re-use from the stock cooler. If you forget to put that on you most likely kill your graphics card.

That goes only for the XTREME Plus (1), i believe the Plus 2 comes with Thermal Pads for that instead.

Last edited: May 27, 2012

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Yikes.... Seems risky to install the aftermarket cooler???

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Arctic Coolers are known not to be for "everyone" it's somewhat an enthousiast cooler. You got to know what you're doing.

I been using them for years myself, and never encountered any issues with them. Lot of people say the VRM heatsinks are crap, if that was so i would have blown all my cards. So that's complete BS :)

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Kind of a false assumption there. Something can "work" and still be crap. It's not like you took a thermal probe to one card with an arctic cooler attached and another with a gelid and compared the two, or even just used software to check the difference.

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    What would be the most ideal aftermarket 480 cooler that doesn't require a lot of techical ability to install?

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Don't know, Arctic Coolers are pieces of **** according to the guy above you. So i don't know anything else.