AMD Catalyst 11.1a Hotfix (8.82.2) Win7 x86/x64

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jan 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Yep same goes for Unigine... +200pnts in extreme tesselation mode ( 1920x1080 )... i think it's using the "adaptative tesselation", or LOD on Tessellation ( it's lower the tesselation on far distance objects where you can't see a difference ).. The second things, it's force to not apply tesselation on plane surface ( where no relief are needed ), well in reality it's fix what have not do Ubi with hawx2 or Nvidia with LP2 .. ( you can call it superposition, instead of include to don't apply tesselation on a specific surface who is completely plane, the tesselation is apply, but it's a superposition of the plane surface, this result on a plane surface, made of a tesselated surface object ( really visible on LP2 )

anyway i was really surprised by the quality of the image during the Unigine runs.. i mean i have try compare 2 screens: the objects look better with this optimisation, as if texture was better.

Anyway i got mixed feeling about this .. if it can force developper to use this tesselation function directly ( aka force the LOD on Tesselation who is a code features they should use normally, )

Don't worry about it, 3Dmark scores are watched carefully, same as use PhysX in vantage, peoples see it directly and know the score was made using "non reference " settings .... Till those scores are not pushed for competition..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    very good driver, after 3 days of tests I cannot report nothing wrong. Also the Tesselation progress bar is working. Perfect work ATI it looks that THESE drivers are HUGE:banana:.

3. tamalero

tamalero Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    anyone knows if the 100% gpu usage is fixed on this release?
    along with the BSOD when the monitors go into standby?

*edit*
    I'm now wondering.. all those people who have the 100% gpu on desktop.
    do have rotating desktop wallpapers?

I wonder if this is an issue, since I had the 100% gpu issue with the 10.12 but rolled back to 10.11e and problem solved..
    and so far another person mentioned the wallpaper rotation.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Seems i ran into the same issue again after 2 days on my 5970. GPU1 being 100% Loaded even in windows when doing nothing and GPU2 Idle..and slowing down everything.

Went back to 10.10e, so far the most stable driver ever for the 5970 Cards.

5. bolden

bolden Active Member

GPU:
    GTX260
    Good driver, fixed the black screen issue after resuming from sleep mode in 10.12.

6. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    i do not have ogl tessellation issue with unigine 2.1 with these drivers.

7. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    You're cheating nobody but yourself.

The reason it is there is because Nvidia have figured out using tessellation to draw triangles smaller than a pixel (Which you can't even see.) makes the rendering pipeline stall more on AMD hardware than NV hardware. Its still bad for NV performance, just not as bad, so when you have a game that is relatively light on the GPU like Hawx 2 Nvidia can persuade devs who are out to grab every penny they can get (Ubisoft.) to use these methods to make their cards look good.

AMD have decided to write drivers that ignore these sub pixel triangles and only draw triangles that you have a chance of actually seeing. This also has benefits of increasing AA performance as the drivers aren't trying to apply AA to triangles smaller than a pixel causing further bottlenecks.

Now AMD have done this you may find that actually devs no longer use these strange methods and there will be no point for anybody to pay them to do so, so the slider never actually gets used as everybody uses tessellation as it was meant to be used.

I'll take my conspiracy theorist hat off now......

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Obviously im looking at it from an Nvidia point of view, but you guys can't honestly like this feature.

Having AMD/Nvidia telling you what you can, or can't see, is not what i would ever want, its the sort of thing i'd expect on my PS3/360, but never on the PC.

It won't stop dev's using it though, paid or not, as this feature will always be disabled when benchmarks will be done.

So has anyone used these on a 6850, got a mate who likes the sound of them, but is is scared of anything not WHQL or on the AMD site.

9. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    The right corner of the screen has mouse lag in windows 7 64, in aero and non aero mode, did a quick google search more ati users have this issue, def. driver related. To see if you have this issue, simply put your mouse in the right corner of the screen, move it left to right about an inch and a half, you will notice mouse movement lag.

10. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Its the same as having a AA slider and no different, you can turn off all optimisations if you want but to be frank if previous tessellated games are anything go by I'll leave it on AMD managed as the difference tessellation makes is subtle at best and not noticeable at worst.

They had to do something once Nvidia started paying for triangles you can't even see....

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Each to their own, asking/paying dev's to reduce things would be a better solution to me, as i don't see how this is any different to turning down tessellation ingame.
    I agree that it hardly makes a difference though, only game i've liked it in was AVP.

So im guessing the 6870 would be similar to the 6850, do you guys install over the top, or uninstall then install new, or is Driver Sweeper used, i've not touched an AMD system since last year.

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Do you have a source for this? It would be interesting to call the developers on this and why they allow it?

BTW: Hawx2 and LP2 engines are actually cuda optimized thus the large performance difference between red and green team. I believe at the time, the cuda sdk was just available.

If Ubi and Capcom reallys wants the best for all gamers, they should reconsider porting those optimizations directly to DX11 or OpenCL for physics.

13. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    Why wouldnt they allow it? I mean if nvidia or amd is paying you money or implementing enhancements for your game at no cost to you, you'd be retarded to refuse.. console exclusives are the same thing.

The majority of pc games are ports now, rarely are they gonna spend anymore effort on actual enhancments (thats when amd or nvidia step in to make said game as poster child for their new gpu tech features, otherwise noone would buy new gfx cards)

And i fully support the tess slider, nvidia paid $2mill for the right to inject crysis2 with their proprietary bloatware, and i highly doubt they will be puting a tesselation slider in that :p

14. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I fully support the tess slider also, how nvidia "cheat" by injecting $$ into game developers to increase the performance on their cards only so has AMD all the wright in the world to do it, but FREE:nerd:.

I tested Unigine with tess slider at default (1920x1200) and got a score of 1476. With tess. slider at 6x (same unigine settings) I got 1600+. I printscreened both setings to see the difference and gues what I see nothing.

Now I guess the next step is to put the tess slider on AUTO and tess degree in games will be authomatically adjusted by the CAP's.:3eyes:

15. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Its not about whats available, its about whats offered. Nvidia has offered their PHYX library for LP2 and Developers have heavily utilized it. (or the developers themselves approached Nvidia for the PHYX library and Nvidia provided support for it).

When the developer used this PHYX for their game, they spent less time on game physics programming on other platforms or optimizing this on CPU only; Inturn providing low performance (if there was no way to disable extra physics in the game which uses PHYX).

About HAWX2, its just plain Tessellation.

I am sure everyone agree's upon that, but when help is offered by NVIDIA(or anyone) for developing certain features in the game. Then the developer has more time to dedicate their time on other aspects of the game features, etc..

Thou good and easy for the developers..But has been bad on the competitors (ATI/AMD)..and finally *us* the consumers as most of the games which does this are kinda bad.

Back to the topic..

The new drivers from AMD are good, I especially like the tessellation control slider.

Edit-

japamd is right LP2 doesn't use Phyx.

16. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I should have rephrased the question:

From a developer's standpoint, why would they allow SUB PIXEL tessellation for their game since it will bring NOTHING to improve quality and only hurts some of their paying customer base?

AFAIK, most developers don't waste time on such nonsense and would optimize to discard or limit negative performance factors such as the above.

I don't have a problem with over-tessellation in benchmarking to show off HW capabilities which be can used as future performance indicators but when it erodes the actual gaming experience with nothing offered in exchange, that is plain stupid.

17. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Raiga, CUDA and Physx are completely different things. Also, LP2 and HAWX2 don't use either. Those games run better on NV hardware due to heavy geometry utilization (both common geometry and tesselation related) and that's a Fermi arch strong point.

I like the new Tessellation control, although I can't see a big performance difference between 2x (minimum) and application controlled on HAWX 2 benchmark (the only I tested so far).

As a side note, it seems that tessellation can be turned off using the new tessellation control turning 3DMark 11 scores incorrect. I'm curious to see what Futuremark/Hwbot are going to tell about it.

18. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    PAUSE at a heavy tessellated scene, set to wireframe mode, print screen and repeat with tessellation slider at various factors. Of course, repeat with textures on to see the actual final output.

I think for users, we may need to setup a DB and share settings for no visual impacts with improved performance as I don't trust AMD to do so for us.

Someone already stated setting it on AMD optimized for Uniengine, it looks like max tessellation was dropped to normal tessellation settings, which does have apparent differences.

19. phr0zbyte

phr0zbyte Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super
    whoa.. never noticed that before. Wonder why that is.

20. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Agree with you. One of us should start a separate thread (or I'll do it) regarding this asap. Tonight I'll post my findings for 5870 CrossfireX.