How do I know if I have just bought a K Sandybridge?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by HonoredShadow, Jan 20, 2011.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
  2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  3. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    How much over clock should I expect on this with air?

What is this Turbo mode I keep reading little bits about? It seems to clock it up to 3.7ghz. Is that an easy noob o/c?

That would be great for me as I am relatively new to over clocking!

Thanks for your answers and time.

Sy.

4. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Not much of an overclock if at all. The K versions can be overclocked, yours is not a K version.

5. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Essentially you cannot appreciably OC the standard non “K” version on the Sandy Bridge LGA1155 platform. Unless some cleaver cuss comes out with a way to do it by coverling a landing pad on the CPU or something like that.

The Core i5 2500 and 2500k unlocked version both have a standard 3.3GHz clock speed that can auto turbo up to 3.7GHz. OCing would go beyond this 3.7 speed.

6. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Is that 3.7 easy to do? Do I just just tick something in the BIOS for this one or it much more in depth than that?

7. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    You bought the wrong one unfortunately

8. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Oh well. I'm not much of an overclocker anyways. I had a tight budget as I have a new baby on the way next month.

I was very grateful when my missus said I could spend £400 on an upgrade! :)

So I will definetly not be able to enable that turbo mode then?

Thanks all.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Tell them you bought the wrong one and send it back and pay the extra,shouldnt be a problem.

Tell them you thought that they all overclocked,you meant to buy the K version.

10. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Might do. Will look at the price difference. I'm all spent up now. Hope the price difference is not much...

11. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    No that is not how it works. Turbo mode is part of both the i5 2500k and the i5 2500 non k version. Both chips do this automatically when stressed with single threaded or lightly threaded applications. You can turn this feature off but it should be automatically enabled as a default setting in BIOS / UEFI. In other words this is just how both of these chips work.

The k version is unlocked and will allow you to go further then the default 3.3Ghz to 3.7Ghz (turbo).

12. lil chris

lil chris Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 7950PCS+
    Explosive pants.Good luck mate with your new build and your new baby. My mrs allowed me £500 and I have just managed it while getting a new 5850 with the intention to run crossfire,I have a post in the ATI section if your interested, because these babys look so fast I cant wait.

13. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Cheers man! Same to you. Yer I got a 5850 and I'm well pleased with it. Part of my spend has been on a new mobo that will allow me to add up to 4 cards but I will stick to 2 as then its 8 x8 for speed.

Looks like the K version is £199.99 inc VAT here in the UK compared to the £167.99 inc VAT.

Dont have any more money till next week... bugger. Should I be happy?! Not sure now lol

14. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Frequency: 3.30 GHz (Turbo Mode 3.70GHz)

The CPU I bought which I have link to above states this. So I'm guessing I CAN get to 3.7?

I would be happy enough with that and looking at the review on this site of the 2500

15. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Thats not what the turbo mode is about at all.

1 core can go all the way to 3.7 ghz on the 2500 version, only one core is utilized in the program / software beeing ran

2 cores can go to 3.6

3 cores 3.4

4 cores 3.3

In most modern programs / software 2-4 cores will be utilized at all times, in modern games released after 2007 almost all support atleast 4 cores, many can take advantage of up to 8 threads, some can in theory do 32 threads. The 2500 series has 4 threads one per core the 2600 series has 8 threads 2 per core. There is a slight advantage in 8 vs 4 threads depending on whom you ask most would agree on 0%-25% at best.

The OCing potential of the 2500 series is small since the multiple ( the gearbox so to speak ) is locked. Instead you have to play with the baseclock ( the throttle ) but the baseclock has a relationship with everything else so there is little you can do with this 1-10 mhz is what I'm hearing before it just says stop. These 1-10 mhz is then multiplied with the multiple ( gearbox ) and if the multi is set at 25 thats 25x5 = 125 mhz, wich is not very impressive.

Might consider a 2nd hand i7 pop that to 4 ghz instead of a locked 2500, will most deffo be cheaper and I would say alot more powerful. Still then you have to learn how to OC, wich depending ones background, interest can be easy or hard.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    How much of a better CPU is this over what I have now then?

Is this new processor worth keeping?

Thanks in advance I just need to get straight what I'm gonna do tomorrow.

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    if i was u i would get the one that u can overclock,you will be kicking yourself in the future if you do not.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    yeah get the k version

19. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    The i5 2500/2500K will destroy your current dual core E8400. Expect significant improvement across the chart in all games, especially with newer games. Games should also feel much smoother overall with a higher minimum FPS.

It goes without saying that CPU-intensive applications (encoding, graphics applications, etc.) will be far faster on a Sandy Bridge, much more so than the already impressive performance gains in games.

20. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thanks for that answer. I'm not bothered with overclocking and will probably replace the CPU next year anyways so no biggie.

I'm glad to hear that this new CPU will destroy this one. I was wondering.

I have to wait a while to try though as I bought everything, plugged it in and the mobo was dead. Gonna send it back tomorrow. Will have it working by the end of the week all going well!