266.58 WHQL Out

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by burebista, Jan 18, 2011.

?

Better or worst than previous sets?

1. Better

64.4%
  2. Worst

19.2%
  3. Same

16.3%
  1. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    I agree with this one ...

GREAT drivers but games look pale ...

;0)

2. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Any word on new beta drivers ? I'd really like to try 3Dmark11 and get a result not just for 1 card.

The driver screws my win 7 over and lags hughe time. I tried running 3Dm11 but it never gets beyond the first test because the cards throttle down and driver doesn't "activate them"... it's like they're constantly hybernating.

3. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Same here :D

3dmark 11 in SLI works aswell :)

4. AmigaWolf

AmigaWolf Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    If you want SLI in 3DMark11 you have to do this:

You have to make a Profile with Nvidia Inspector and then have to put
    0x080000F5 in SLI compatibility bits(DX10), now SLI will work in
    3DMark11 :)

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    +1000

6. steelcowboy

steelcowboy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570's SLI
    I still havnt found a solution gripen90.My nvcp lags and sometimes says not responding and starting and leaving any game and benchmark it like freezes the whole system for like 2 sec's then its ok.I roll back to 260.99 and all is well what the hell is going on with these drivers?They really need to fix this im running the newest bios for mb and newest driver for everything else.If anyone has any insight on this please let me and gripen90 know.

ty

7. steelcowboy

steelcowboy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570's SLI
    OK i just got off the phone with nvida support in cali and suprise suprise there are known problems with this driver and the 266.35 beta driver that are causing the problems that me and gripen90 are having.They thanked me for the very valuable feedback and said they are working on a new driver with fixes as we speak.Was on hold like 3 times so the support guy musta been asking questions and so on.So i quess ill just stick with the 260.99 for now since i dont have any problems.I was told some of the new components added to this driver series is the prob.

8. Tomatomanz

Tomatomanz Guest

Finally installed this new drivers.

Hmmm.. benchmarked a few games (Mafia2, Starcraft2, L4D2, Metro2033, BC2) and 3Dmark11 and 3Dvantage, no obvious differences.. pretty much the same performance as my previous drivers (fw260.99whql).

BC2 utilization on gpu still the same.. felt like not fully utilized like other games i mentioned (hovers around 30%).

Starcraft2, this its the first whql drivers that added "ambient occ" to the game rite?.. do i need to enabled "ambient occ" in ncp?.. or just select "extreme" gfx in starcraft will do?..

One thing abt "clean install" option.. even enabled that, all the previous drivers still remained in my hdd.. so... not exactly "full remove of drivers"..

Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
  9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

you won't see much difference, well its because of your dualcore.

yes enable it in nvcpl SC II profile, chose either performance or quality.

it removes the OS driver not extracted installer drivers. Those extracted won't harm or change anything..:nerd:

10. Lightmgl

Lightmgl Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC SLI
    Ran into an issue where I was starting a game up and got flickering textures and multiple driver crashes which persisted until I restarted my computer. Seems theres still a couple of glitches hiding in this driver as I have never had this problem at all before. A reboot fixed the problem immediately.

11. stanley1

stanley1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 480 + GTX 260 PHYSX
    hopefullt i dont run into any probs installing these drivers as it took me some time and several patches getting my system right with physx n stuff, ill hold my breath and go for it though. anyone had probs with these drivers and physx? are they better overall?

12. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I installed this driver on its release date and have had a couple days to test. I have to admit I wasn’t expecting them to compete with 265.90 quads but holly **** was I in for a surprise. Solid performance, better IQ and not an issue with any games...sorry don’t want to rub it in for anyone with problems but this is the quality of gaming on the PC that hasn’t been seen or felt in years.

13. beppe_7

beppe_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    these were very good for me as well. best drivers yet. finally. although this is with a clean install of windows. SP1 for 7 gives windows a more snappier feel also. :banana:

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No, and I think he meant disable HPET...

15. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    The physx driver is the same one that has been out for quite some time.

16. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    I had to install this 266.58 release twice for it to work. And it's seems to be working very well. I was using the 260.99 release.

I have been using IE9beta and I thought something was screwy with it. And I was getting some desktop flashing in the lower right corner every so often.

But this new release seems to have cured these quirks. And Stalker looks great!

17. Lightmgl

Lightmgl Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC SLI
    So after rolling the drivers back the problems persisted. I ended up having to do a full uninstall and a run of driver sweeper followed by a reinstall to fix the issue.

I was experiencing driver crashes, artifacts, and freezes in all games. They started randomly 24 hours after installing the driver and persisted at overclock, normal clock, and underclock. I completely freaked out and thought that the drivers had killed my card because nothing was fixing it.

My going theory at the moment was something in the driver files got corrupted because they gave me issues uninstalling too where my monitors would just go black and nothing would happen. At least for now, everything seems ok. I just hope nothing was permanently effected on the card.

18. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Aw superb ! thanks for the info - and also to clarify that we aren't doing things wrong in our case :)
    I tested the driver with each single of my GTX 580 to see if one was "defective" but all caused the same behaviour.
    I even took the Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB from my living room PC and tested with that card and same issue.
    At least it's good to hear nVidia are aware of the issue.... I'm wondering if it has something to do with the NF200 chipset on our boards ?:nerd:

19. Jasonnov118

Jasonnov118 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 1GB Hawk Talon
    Says ambient occlusion is not supported for this application in nvcp.

20. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    Drivers don't kill anything, and when you do a new set of any drivers....................DONT TEST in OC..............never the same results twice and bitching on forums to boot...............

test new drivers