MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. |Ano|

|Ano| Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX560Ti Twin FrozR II
    *edit*
    Ok i figured it out.

Delete plz

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. Origin64

Origin64 New Member

GPU:
    2x MSI N460GTX Hawk 1GB
    So what you're saying is that I can get +100MHz on the core, but that GPU-Z doesn't read it?

OK...

Then I cannot help but wonder why I'm only getting +100MHz. I will now have to revert to custom BIOSes to OC a card that is supposed to OC very well.

Or isn't that up to you?

3. Licaon

Licaon Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX660Ti-OC
    that's a known thing: #1, #2 ;)

4. Amorpheus

Amorpheus Member

GPU:
    6960@928/1450
    I have a suggestion: lower the low-limit of clock ranges or make it a stealth option like the unofficial overclocking limits. My new 6950 draws 40W more in idle than my old 4870, which I had set up to underclock to 200/240 when hardware acceleration is off. RivaTuner doesn't recognize my new card, so I turned to Afterburner, which works great so far but can't go as low as I want.

I can get there by setting the clock low and restarting the application a few times, but it doesn't work automatically because the profiles only work for ranges it sees as "valid".

5. giusemanuel

giusemanuel Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 5970 2gb
    Hi,
    i want signal a bug of msi afterburner v2.0.0 an v 2.1.0 beta 5 about the frequency of 5970 in iddle.
    In the Catalyst Control Center(CCC) it's possible view the frequecy o gpu core and memory.
    In particular the frequency in iddle of gpu1 check in(CCC) are 157/300Mhz
    while for gpu2 is 0/0 in order (clock gpu/clock memory).
    Instead the frequency in iddle detected by MSI AFTERBURNER are 157/300Mhz for gpu1 and 735/1010 for gpu2.
    Msi afetrburner should shows also 0/0 for gpu2 and no 735/1010 that is the frequency of 3d.

i allege an image where is possible to see this problem of msi.
    [​IMG]

Is it possible resolve this problem?
    thanks

6. outward spiral

outward spiral Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 9800GT
    I found an interesting bug on my system.

I use Afterburner to regulate fan speed only, as my GeForce 9800GT doesn't have dynamic fan control.

Afterburner does the job nicely but conflicts in some way with nVidia drivers.

When I select "Help" from a program's help menu, specifically, any program that refers to a .chm file (Microsoft HTML Help Control 6.1), the program will crash when the help file opens.

I managed to crash every program I have installed that uses the .chm help format.

When I exit Afterburner, the problem goes away.

The error report identifies "nvwgf2um.dll" as the fault module in every case.

Here is an example of one of the error reports:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: AudioStudio100.exe
    Application Version: 10.0.0.152
    Application Timestamp: 4b8447ce
    Fault Module Name: nvwgf2um.dll
    Fault Module Version: 8.17.12.6099
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4cb9d900
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000f28cd
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 3081
    Additional Information 1: 191e
    Additional Information 2: 191ebcf6bbf3fe9e2960624308f9d60d
    Additional Information 3: 64e4
    Additional Information 4: 64e4dce87a6ae85c64ae922f4263251a

Could anyone kindly recommend an alternative to Afterburner that will regulate my fan speed? I don't really need over-clocking control.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  7. outward spiral

outward spiral Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 9800GT
    I've managed to narrow the issue down to the MSI On-Screen Display Server.
    I can run Afterburner without the on-screen display options and the problem no longer exists.

8. MSI NGTX 470

MSI NGTX 470 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 470
    hi first you have great Forums here
    i hope you can help me here thanks

i want to have the user define mode working without the Afterburner
    working cause i notice drop in Prformance with some games
    like PES 2011 and COD black ops
    im using MSI card but not the MSI driver im using the
    Default Nvidia driver from the Nvidia web

so is there any way to have the user define working without keep
    the afterburner ruuning
    im using the XP sp3 and 7both x32 and the normal fan not geting
    more than 66% even when my Card reach 90C

and if you can do a soulotion in the nex Version of the Sofware

note : my Afterburner V: is 2.0.0 the last one

thanks in advance soory for bad english

9. Thepunkerguy

Thepunkerguy Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6950 @ 900/1375
    User Defined Auto Fan Control BUG

I found a bug that I really hope can be addressed.

This bug is with the User Defined Auto Fan Control setting. If I don't use profiles, but just set the fan curve how I want it then all is fine, AB will use my custom auto fan curve. BUT, if I start using profiles, then as soon as I switch or click on a profile, the fan speed goes back to being automatically controlled by the default ATI fan curve, not the one I have defined. Although it starts using the default ATI fan curve, the "User Define" option is still highlighted green, so it should be using my fan curve. I can get AB to use my custom fan curve again by simply clicking the "User Define" button twice (once to disable it, then once to re-enable it). As soon as I do that, the fan returns back to my custom curve. This is also a big problem for me because i use the automatic 2d / 3d profile switching option, so every time AB automatically switches from one profile to the other, the fan gets kicked back to the default ATI fan curve. The fan curve also goes back to default ATI instead of custom if I change any settings such as clock speeds or voltages that require me to hit "apply". As soon as I hit "apply" the fan curve goes back to default ATI and then can be fixed by clicking "User Defined" twice. Any suggestions? Can this be looked into and possibly fixed? I am using a Radeon 6950 video card and have "unofficial overclocking" enabled. I am using Afterburner 2.1.0 Beta 6

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  10. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    With v2.1 beta 5 an beta 6, my HD 6970s have a small issue when reading GPU load. GPU 1 has a load fixed at 99% regardless of actual load. (GPUz properly displays the load of this GPU.) GPU 2 reads properly.

With beta 6, Kombustor's temperature graph for GPU 1 appears to be broken. It remains at 42ยบ C at all times, but I will check back with that one after I restart my PC. (I have not restarted since upgrading from beta 5 to beta 6.)

EDIT: Okay, rebooting did not fix problem 1 (I am still pegged at 99% load)*, and problem 2 still exists. The graphs in Kombustor (1.0.7 or 1.1.3) only work for GPU2; GPUs 1 and 3 are static. The graphs worked properly in Afterburner 2.0.

EDIT2:
    Whatever the problem was back then, the problem is gone now. Afterburner works fine for me with CCC 10.12 for 2x HD 6970 + FW 260.99 for GTX 285. Worked fine under CCC 10.5a with an HD 5970 + FW 260.99 for GTX 285 as well. In all cases I can see and edit the clocks of all three cores. It should be noted that ULPS is turned off in all cases. When I had ULPS on with the HD 5970, the second core would idle at 725/1000 rather than 400/1175.
    This has also been fixed by ATi. The clocks correctly change to UVD settings and back out when done with a movie.

The one thing that still is a little fishy: GPU names do not line up with GPU temps in Kombustor in an nV+ATi system. Not a big deal at all, purely cosmetic in my opinion.

EDIT3: *Fixed this. Enabled ULPS, rebooted, then disabled ULPS, rebooted, and now it is correct.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

11. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    you can download the latest afterburner beta to see if it helps. And there is no way to close afterburner but use the function in it. :p

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=336682

12. msi-afterburner

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Disable the unofficial overclocking to see if it helps.

13. msi-afterburner

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    If your card doesn't support fan control, there is no way to control it in Afterburner. Choose the cooler on graphics card with 4 lines, that kind of card has fan control.

14. msi-afterburner

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    No way, that's not problem of Afterburner. It's the bug in AMD driver. You can either ignore it or contact AMD for fixed driver. :biggun:

15. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    Yes, very easily I might add. Open RegEdit and search for "EnableULPS." All (there should be two) instances should be within "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}." Change the 1 to a 0 and reboot. You second core will downclock as intended.

Authority: Personal experience with an HD 5970.

16. Thepunkerguy

Thepunkerguy Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6950 @ 900/1375
    6900 series voltage control bug

I have found a bug in the voltage control feature of Afterburner 2.1.0 Beta 6

After talking with several 6950 owners over at TechPowerUp, we have found out that different 6950 cards (and possibly 6970 cards) use different VIDs in the bios to control GPU 3D voltage. For example, in RBE my 6950 uses VID4 to control my 3D voltage. This has been proven by my drastically increased temp and drastically higher overclock ability with increased voltage in VID4. Other people have to adjust VID3 in RBE to control their 3D GPU Voltage. I believe currently Afterburner is set to control VID3 because the voltage adjustment acts like its working, but doesn't actually work for my card, while it works for others cards, specifically ones who need VID3 adjusted to overclock. If I set Afterburner voltage to 1.2v I cannot overclock past 910mhz, which is my limit on stock voltage. If i use RBE to change my VID4 to 1.2v in the bios then I can overclock to 965mhz and my temps go up greatly. If I change VID3 in my bios then it does nothing for my card, and I assume this is what Afterburner is adjusting. So, some 6900 cards use VID3 and some use VID4 for 3D GPU Voltage. Hopefully Afterburner can be made to auto detect which one, or at least have an option in the settings so we can have it adjust the correct VID voltage for our specific card.

17. Thepunkerguy

Thepunkerguy Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6950 @ 900/1375
    Yes, that fixes the issue with a "user defined" fan curve. Can this bug be fixed so that the "user defined" fan curve sticks when applying settings or switching profiles while unofficial overclocking is enabled?

18. Thepunkerguy

Thepunkerguy Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6950 @ 900/1375
    One other question. I know it was said that it will not change that 'unofficial overclocking' disables power play and thus doesn't allow the card to idle down while not in 3D mode. Why not fix this? This is the main reason I don't use Afterburner anymore and now use Trixx. I doubt anyone wants their card to have to run at full voltage / clocks 24/7 when the card is supposed to idle down in 2D mode. Trixx has an increased overclocking range AND it still lets the card idle down when in 2D mode. If this, and the "user defined" fan curve issues could be fixed with Afterburners "unofficial overclocking" then I am sure a lot more people like myself would use, or go back to, Afterburner.

19. megvadulthangya

megvadulthangya Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD5970/GigabyteGTS450
    Asrock X58 Extreme6+HD5970 Fail

Hello!

I have some trouble with MSI Afterburner and with my new board.... They Cannot set the voltage at my second gpu with my HD5970. Look at pictures, all settings correct, but not set the voltage:( Tryed with my Gigabyte Board. And with my Asrock board.

I think if someone get this board and try to use an MSI HD5970 Have the same problem, couse the main bios is allmost the same like all...
    I tryed with the beta afterburners, not just the 2.0 version same thing...:bang:

Can Somehow fix this MSI? Can i help somehow?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  20. msi-afterburner

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    The AMD set the ccc limit in their BIOS. Breaking ccc limit is not an official way, so that's why we can't promise anything on unofficial overclocking function on Afterburner.

But I will take a look Trixxx if they can break oc limit and keep powerplay at the same time. Very interesting. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.