Core i5 2500K & Core i7 2600K processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
  2. Stop It RAWR

Stop It RAWR Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD7850 BE
    A bit late from me here, but hey!

Thanks for the review, it was this, as well as a few others that convinced me to upgrade to a i5 2500k. I am now a happy Sandy Bridge owner and am currently stability testing the platform at a quite silly 4.7Ghz!

Again, thanks and I must say I am glad to have bought into the platform quickly. In the UK only overclockers UK seem to have any stock, and while I paid £340 for the CPU/RAM/Mobo which now would be either nearly 2 weeks away for the same price, or £370 for pretty much the same setup if I wanted it quicker.

Here's hoping that Intel gets some supply into the UK properly and many more people can enjoy this new platform, as it really is cracking.

3. yon1000

yon1000 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTS 640MB
    Does any body knows if the 2600K will be better than the new CPU of AMD(i mean CPU's from the same price range)

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Right now we don't know. The 2500k is a great deal for price/performance.

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    That's like asking will the Radeon HD 7000 beat the GTX600 series at the same price.

No one will know.

deltatux

6. PanzerIV

PanzerIV Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX570 @ 860
    Oh well.. I have a GTX570 overclocked to be on par with a GTX580 but use a X6 1055T @ 3.90Ghz so I bet I'd see no difference anyway in games at 1920x1080 so that would be a worthless upgade I bet since most games are GPU-Limited and won't see any performance increase just like my current fav game "Bad Company 2". Seems like the 2500K is even worse in all non-games applications :3eyes: and no way I'll pay 100$ more just for Hypertheading and 2Mb of L3.

7. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    first tougth

then...
    ps. Impressive...!

8. loneknives

loneknives Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy gtx 670 GC
    from what i see the i5 2500k is faster than x6 1055 on most application performance and sometimes beat the 1100t

9. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
  10. fuadsiraj

fuadsiraj New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580 Directcu II
    Nice review again hilbert its really getting amazing that a mid ranged price cpu andmotherboard oWne'd high end old gen I7

would love to see review of Asus Maximus IV extreme review over here

I would like to ask again what is the model / part number of G.skil ripjaw you are using for this dual channel sandy bridge ?

11. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    I thinki you're in denial! Hehehe...but you are right about the games. At that resolution it makes no difference. I just built an i7 950 rig for a friend a couple weeks ago and assured him by showing the reviews done at a higher resolution. Most games there was little to no difference.

What voltage are you running that 570 at for 850mhz? :nerd:

12. PanzerIV

PanzerIV Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX570 @ 860
    It was very easy to raise it at 850Mhz from 732. With the stock voltage of 0.988v you get nowhere but just by raising it with the very awesome tool called (MSI Afterburner) to 1.050v it worked flawlessly at 850Mhz without any raise in the gpu temperature. The maximum is still 83C with the quiet custom fan settings I've made in this program. I'm seeking for minimum 850 but maximum 900Mhz as anything above will require too much voltage for minimal gain. I'll have to try tomorow 1.075v since I know 1.063v isn't enough at 900.. like it crash within 2min in WindowsMediaPlayer so prolly even faster in BC2.

My ram is set to 2100Mhz without any stability issues too. I use the 266 Beta drivers but I just seen the WHQL just came out today! :)

13. Oneone

Oneone Member

GPU:
    Geforce 280
    Great review! I cant wait until i buy my new computer in two months hihi, Bing it SB ! :D

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We use the (SKU code) F3-17066CL7D-4GBXH kit for overclocked mode with some of the boards.

15. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    The discussion link for the MSI [FONT=verdana,geneva]R6950 Twin Frozr II OC is pointing here.
    [/FONT]

16. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I agree whole heartedly about the lack of atleast x8 on all PCIe x16 slots would be even better if they were all electrically x16 per slot other wise what was the point those x16/ x1 slots may aswell have been a x1 slot full stop :S maybe AMD should do a mobo like this but better with 8x full x16 PCIe slots for bulldozer now wouldn't that be great

17. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
  18. 7up1n3

7up1n3 Guest

Thanks for the article - always enjoy Guru3D reviews.

I have the board, and echo the disappointment of Asus not providing a frontpanel USB3 solution. Considering how the box highlights the "Convenient USB 3.0 Front Panel Compatibility", it seems a very odd omission.

Other than that, a very pleasing board. And also pleased with Asus' response to the Cougar Point recall. Good stuff.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    No contest dude. 2500k vs 1055t:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=147

20. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Not sure why people overly complain about the lack of x16/x16

Of course it would be nice to have it (and should have it i think)

But it makes almost no difference in games anyway

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.