X58 Owners - Will you update your current platform ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Gainward, Jan 10, 2011.

1. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    No, I won't update till the next offering after the current series. No refreshes etc.

I don't see a need to at all. This rig blows everything away that I do as it is.

2. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Ive just installed my sandy bridge replaced a i7 930 @ 3.9 gig just run some 3dmark06 and the 2600k was 44 points slower but it was using stock clocks and temps are cooler than my 930 chip aswell.

I wanted my old i7 for another build so worth the expense to me but if running i7s at 3.8 or more you wont notice much if any gains but saying that ive not overclocked the 2600k yet.

3. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
    Not right now for me... next upgrade will be GPU ...doesn't make sense for me to spend money on anything other than that ATM.

4. pooley

pooley Guest

GPU:
    xfx r9 fury
    No not for a while yet, Don't need to.

5. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Right now, not that anyone would want to, you can buy a dual socket LGA1366 Xeon motherboard with PCIe x16 slots for ~$250 or so,.....

Therefore saying LGA2011 is for servers doesn't necessarily mean much.

6. phrozin

phrozin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    unless your a hardcore bench marker or overclocker, wtf would you want to upgraded I think it more wank value than a needed upgrade I used to bench and oc everything in sight but I still game on a core2 6600,4gb ddr3 and a 460 does the job why over clock the crap out of everything to surf the net

if I was to go out to try and set some records I still use 1366, 1155 is not sorted yet

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    TBH ... the diff at 1900*1200 is almost to non ! ... 1 - 2 fps between X6 AMD , X4 AMD and I7 / Sandy Bridge ... so upgrade is really not worth it

8. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    My bro just got the new i7-2600k, while the efi is nice with posting in 5-8seconds and paired with an ssd loads windows in 2 seconds, I think I'll wait till 2012 before I upgrade. Heck most of the games I play hardly use it to its full potential so I wouldnt bother for a while.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  9. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Hey, Phrozin, not seen you around for a while! Take it your no longer benching then???

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im not updating, no point. :)

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    if 2011 is leaps and bounds beyond x58 maybe, otherwise, no, though tbh I don't think any game due in the next year could challenge my system at 1920 x 1200 short of full AA.

12. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I would say no aswell, for me the money will be much better served putting it into a good water cooling loop, or windows that open in my office so I can stop being steamed out of here lol!

13. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    I'd be interested to see a comparison review between X-58 and P-67 chipsets with CPU's where everything else is equal, so the same GPU and DDR3 memory.

For clarity the CPU's I think should be chosen based on their price, not their clocks. As to the mobo's, there is a wide variety in both platforms where manufacturers include options that positively influence the performance.

If Guru3D would make such a comparison review, I'm more than sure they will be able to filter those variables out and come up with essentially a baseline comparison and result.

At least, I hope they can. And will :D

14. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    The biggest problem with Sandy Bridge for me is the lack of dual 16x PCI-E on the motherboards. I like my multi-GPU set-ups and will no doubt add a second 580 at some point, so it would bother me not having that option, especially as there would be little performance increase on the CPU side over my current setup to compensate.

15. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    So, the review on Guru3D is a bit misleading as to the lyrical conclusion???

16. Moshing

Moshing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 BOE@900core
    Huh? I don't see your reference. The conclusion looks accurate to me and doesn't even make reference to X58. In every way, Sandy Bridge is a great choice, but if you already own an Nehalem/X58 system, it won't be an earth shattering experience. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

17. stanley1

stanley1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 480 + GTX 260 PHYSX
    sandy doesent apeal to me, not really finished my current pc so sod starting again just yet. i7950 good for the time being i think

18. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Any tests where they bench both i7 and sandy at the same clocks where both cpus run above the SB turbo capabilities to rule that out as a performance increase?

I was looking around yesterday but all I see is like 950 at 3.03 ghz vs sandys at 3.4 with up to 3.8 ghz turbo, feels skewed.

19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    well i saw it once over at xtremesystems and yea they made sure that both run at the same clock and there was no turbo mode involved.

20. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    most people run how many vid cards? i7 is ment for mean desktop work, for running 3-4 GPU setups with max AA max AF max RES max everything V-sync ect. wake up.

P67 with 3 vid cards and all those....i will bet anyone, that a X58 will do it better. spec with a oced i 7 with MAX MAX MAX MAX settings...including Supersample. ugh....most people test all these computers on BULL**** settings....

run metro with 1920x1080 4x msaa ingame on (forcing 16x SSAA) which works. running 16xAF and max in-game settings....ill bet that a p67 with 3 cards compared to a core i7 system with 3 cards all oceed and tuned...the i 7 will wipe the floor on the K series. Even with all that clock speed.....U CANT MAKE USE OF IT...ur bandwith is limited anyways using 3-4 vidcards in conjuction with maxing out everything.

K-series sure would scream in desktop apps. as high clockspeed would make use without the graphic system calling for a fast chipset aka subsystem.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011