How do you like your GTX460?? Burnt or Charred??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sykozis, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Maybe he wanted to listen to the audio thru his HDTV and not his PC speakers.

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    It covers stuff breaking, if I got my laptop now and threw it down the stairs I could claim.

I'd want an investigation aswell incase it's possibly widespread.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    HDMI sends audio and video using 1 cable...also, the TV didn't have a DVI connection.

Homeowners insurance in the US typically only covers the house...unless the house is physically damaged by a "natural disaster" or robbery. Doesn't cover items that are dropped inside the house. The insurance company has no control over product quality or durability.

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Weird, here most if not all are Home & Contents. It's more accidental damage etc. than faults, but something like this you could claim.

5. Snoodles

Snoodles Active Member

GPU:
    Vapor-X HD5770 1GB X-fire
    US h03 and h05 policies ( the most common types of coverage here) both cover home and contents. H05 forms cover all types of loss except named exclusion, while H03 covers only named inclusions. HO3 insurance does NOT cover: earthquakes, power failure, law ordinances, actions by the government, war, intentional loss, wear and tear, deterioration, or fungus and other pests, none of which apply in your case. You should be set with just paying your deductible. Getting rid of the TV may cuasse issues with the adjuster, but they may just pay for it considering it will only be a couple hundred dollars. Most companies will settle smaller claims without even coming out to see the damage.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Either way I was going to upgrade sooner or later. Long as MSI replaces the graphics card....life's good. TV was acting stupid and computer was over a year old. Average lifespan for my computers is 6-12 months....it was coming up on 18 months. I tend to do complete replacements when new graphics cards come out that are worth getting excited about....this must have been the card's way of telling me I missed something...lol.

7. Tomatomanz

Tomatomanz Guest

Sry to hear that OP.

Hope u do contact the manufacturer abt it, and get free replacement asap.

Agreed, once u find whats wrong with either one of the items which are burned, at least we can try to avoid it.

Cheers :)

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wow....never thought I'd be reviving my own thread....especially not several months later. Well, I did say in another thread that I'd give an update after I got my replacement card....which has been working as well as the original since I received it in September.

Well, after the events of today, it's my belief that the previous occurance was the fault of the graphics card. I tried again, against my better judgement, to make the same connection for the second time. This time I decided to use a DVI->HDMI adapter cable I had on hand. To give a little background on today's happenings... I proceeded by turning off both the PC and TV. I then, after making the connection to the PC's DVI port, disconnected my Samsung blu-ray player. I then proceeded to connect the DVI->HDMI adapter cable to my LCD TV. Upon making the connection, there was once again, a spark. My TV is now short 1 HDMI port...and I have another melted cable. Fortunately, I didn't completely lose a TV and computer this time.

9. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Wow it happened again, that is odd. Is your 460 a custom PCB design, very strange.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's an MSI GTX460 Cyclone OC....believe it's a reference PCB design.

11. Mark121

Mark121 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660
    Might be bad luck like if lighting hit twice.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That would be believable....except that in both cases, MSI GTX460 Cyclone 1GD5 OC cards were involved....as well as Vizio TV's...

13. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    And the funny part?

You can't watch blurays from a PC -> TV via HDMI because PCs don't have HDCP, unless something has changed. My sister bought a laptop with HDMI and BRD months ago and was rather dismayed to find out she could only watch movies on her 15 inch screen.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Computers have supported HDCP for several years now.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Bad look it happening again! I'd seriously contact them! At least it didn't kill everything this time.

Lol yes they do, I run dual monitors and both are working fine with my PC and HDCP. Your sister could just install anydvdHD anyway which removes the HDCP and makes it work without it.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yeah, I'll be contacting MSI about the issue as I have home movies on my PC, that aren't on DVD. My computer is only 4ft from my TV, so it doesn't really make sense to burn them to DVD just to watch them on the TV when a simple HDMI connection should be completely possible.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, definetly nonsense, and not worth the risk, also putting me off MSI cards.

I've had my PC hooked up to an HDTV since i had my 8800GT, DVI with the last two cards, and HDMI since i got the GTX460, and none of them have had an issue.

Is it just PC's that give you this problem, no issues with other HDMI devices?

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Don't get me wrong....I love my GTX460. I figured I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Find out if my graphics issues were related to the GPU/Drivers or my monitor...and watch home movies from my couch instead of my desk chair.

This problem has occurred twice now with GTX460's installed....yet not with my GTX275, GT210, GT220 or HD4850. My blu-ray players don't seem to be effected in the least...whether the TV, blu-ray players or both are turned on. So, I wouldn't say it's just the PC, more of it being just the GTX460's I've had. I'm tempted to try an eVGA card....but seeing as how my TV is down to 1 HDMI port, I don't really want to chance losing another TV.

Strangely, given the performance of the GTX460's, even with my problems...I find it hard not to recommend the cards...I probably will avoid recommending the MSI models though.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Is it full size HDMI on the MSI cards, or the mini HDMI ones, Google says mini HDMI, but might have the card wrong, so don't want to assume.

The Palit one i'm using is a full size HDMI socket, and i've used three different cables, on two different TV's, and have had no issues, not even a minor shock and im prone to getting shocks off cables etc...

An EVGA card might be better if its possible to swap, but i would pick something that had a proper HDMI socket personally, but im not suprised you don't want to risk trying it again though.

20. PetritH

PetritH Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XT
    Holy crap, too bad for u bro... But still nice to know that everyone is ok after that.