What's the best driver compared to 10.5a?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, Jan 7, 2011.

1. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, seems people doesn't like quality here. I mean most of answers are on 10.12(WHQL release) and for example this driver cannot apply Anti-Aliasing
    at all unless there's an application support for it. Nobody using 10.8 beta 6 or 10.7a is quite something I'd say. 10.10e is kinda understandable as it at
    least works on some level, but that cannot apply AA either best shot of 10.10e was with MLAA and personally I think it's more of an PR stunt than
    anything good as it broke down several other functions while at it.

10.12a again is quite nice driver however it again is the 10.11 beta DVA fixed and 10.12a nearly twice slower than 10.11 beta was or even 10.11 WHQL release.

As for all the drivers (exception of 10.10e) seems none of the benchmarks works 3D Mark 11 only works somewhat on 10.10e and we can keep dreaming on heaven
    benchmark which actually does utilize stuff correctly while ATI driver doesn't. Easiest probably to see how bad situation is through Unigine benchmarks.

So, it's quite surprising what people sees as good/decent driver for them as general usage.

Thanks anyway to all replys here since kinda as said trying to see behind the idea of what I see as truly functional driver being quite incorrect.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    1. What has that to do with quality?
    2. I can force AA on any game that doesn't support AA with 10.12.

3. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    That's curious point and I'd say it's quality gaming when we talk about making game look better with AA levels, if you refer Texture Quality we lost that
    already 1 year ago with 10.1 said goodbye to any chance of getting anything decent out from AMD/ATI.

As for 'force AA' this statement is quite incorrect. check different between Standard or EdgeAA or x4 to x8 or SSAA and yeah you can use any game you
    wish even on game which does support AA. Just saying I ain't just making 'statement' based on nothing for example you can no longer apply SSAA
    nor any of the higher levels at all.

4. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Can you provide proof to your statements?

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Edge detect works fine when forced on driver level :eek:
    For games that hardly drag fps I use box and edge for anything that can keep up with it.

SSAA, like in real Super Sample Layers? http://synfig.org/wiki/Super_Sample_Layer
    Never seen that with ATI and only Nvidia by using nhancer.
    What they both offer in the control panels is hybrid SSAA and MSAA, not the real thing.
    Real SSAA removes the shimmering in some games, found a workaround with catalyst, but still not the same thing.

I agree with you though.
    I bought this card because someone pointed on ATI's good image quality and so on.
    But as I see it now it's lower and even performance is worse.
    So it wouldn't surprise me if next gen card might be in favor of going green.
    I would love owning a card that can do 4x4 SSAA full out without a huge performance hit.
    Hell, even 8x8 while we are at it!

6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Mineria

Well, can't replicate your functional Edge Detect AA and I cannot get any x8 AA to work correctly as far I can see only Standard/Box AA will apply. Heck I
    am even having issues with Narrow-/Wide-Tent AA styles. Seems those doesn't apply either since 10.8. I am curently running clean official 10.9
    previously I tested 10.11 and 10.12 all comes with same affect. I am using several applications with AA OFF - VSYNC/AI on. (Also as an note from CCC
    Release notes of 10.10, 10.11 > There was notion that x8 AA will not apply to all applications, but hell I am using more than 20 games to verify and
    none of them shows any sign of x8 AA and I am using screenshots of still frames to compare. Also setting SSAA shadows shows no affect like they
    used to at DAO at 10.7-10.8 builds of mine.)

As for this topic mainly wanted to understand what kind of driver setups works for people from current drivers what I cannot see to see whole picture better.

7. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    AA works for me. I m using 8xAA SSAA in DX9 games, 24xAA AAA ED in DX10/11 working properly. Using 16xAA MSAA only 2 gpus work, it runs fine but somehow color get intense and a lot of lag is present. Anyway SSAA > all so no biggie.

8. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Before everyone applauds the 10.5 drivers for eon's and eons and using benchmarks like Heaven, keep this in mind

The reason why rendering scores were so high in Heaven with 10.5, and then dropped off hard with barely any recovery is because up to the 10.5 drivers the videocard was -NOT- rendering the benchmark correctly, and was omitting massive amounts of geometry

With the 10.6 drivers, this was fixed, so the FPS on the benchmark went down, but nobody could figure out why, but yeah, the 10.5 and lower does not render Heaven benchmark correctly, 10.6 and up -DOES- render Heaven benchmark correctly

9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    perhaps I am getting crazy, but I just went ahead took still frame shots on over 20 games with Edge AA, Box AA and I still will stay behind what I said they do not work.

If someone can window mode application drop an EdgeAA with no MLAA applied please let me know. As I sure as hell cannot get it working with anything since CCC v10.8 beta 6. Under this version or mentioned 10.7a I have no problem getting EdgeAA and Box AA on same applications/games working under same windowed mode. :)

-edit-

So, anyone here using anything else than 10.12/10.12a to fix setup issues like Display Setup/EyeFinity/CFX/TFX/QFX ?

10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I am using 10.12a because I have no choice on 6950 CFX. If the older drivers would work on the 6900 series, let me know and I can do some checks to pin down AA, AF or CFX issues.

11. yermucker

yermucker Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970
    10.5a on a 5970 are the only ones that dont give me hassle. 10.12 gives me black flickering bars on frostbite games (which is what i mainly play, MoH and BC2).
    Went through them all last night, massive frame rate drops on 10.10 for me (70+ on average) CTD on 10.6 and other grief in the ones in between, so it was back to tried and tested 10.5a.

12. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I would recommend a Von Mod installation and cleaning.

I always was against all these driver sweeper, etc. until I had a black screen popping from time to time in BC2 with a previous driver; Von told me to use 5 registry cleaners (..lol) and it fixed the problem with the same driver. Now you dont have to do all that since he has posted a nice set of tools to uninstall drivers properly. It s really easy to use and I highly recommend using them.

I have a 5970 like yourself and 10.10e seems like the best driver to date for me.

13. johnathonm

johnathonm Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 ti 12GB
    I'm now testing the 12.12 and it doesn't seem to be utilizing crossfire very well at all. My in game framerates have definitely fallen and my 3d mark 11 score has decreased dramatically.

Back to 10.5a...

14. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    12.12 work very well if you clean your registry from old drivers poo left by AMD uninstaller. CFX usage is quite high too.

12.12a give me a lot more textures shimmering in Heave Metal BC2 map.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I had the same problem with 12.12a and some other games.
    12.12 CCC2 doesn't have that issue.

@TwL
    Well I can't say what you should do, but I tested forcing details over and over and only get higher quality and a huge performance penalty when everything is maxed out.
    Could you make a list of the games your having issues with, will check if I got them and test if so.

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, try (Dark Messiah, Wolfestein, Batman), (BF:BC2, MOH), Singularity? for starters. Drop the game on debug mode Windowed and apply any other AA to the game then MLAA (and as said do not use the in-game AA levels).

Hell, you can even use Microsoft DirectX SDK and see the issue through DX9-11 some of the samples. Heck some of the samples won't even start
    and for example work scenario bug through drivers probably shows best at 'DynamicShaderlinkageFX11' even the color is incorrect as an real bug.

Anyway, I still think the whole (10.10a,c,d,e, 10.11) is one major bug where (10.11beta,10.12a) are very very bad attempt to fix DVA errors(10.12a),
    speed(10.11beta) and 10.12 again is just uber failure of everything as nothing actually is working even while driver itself is pretty solid stable looking for basic gaming.

17. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Yeah, TWL helped me out regarding that issue by dumping 3 files from catalyst 10.7 it into the application's executable folder. [Note: was using 10.10 VON then]

files were:
    atiu9pag.dll
    atiumdag.dll
    atiuxpag.dll

I could use AA in Window more for that directx application, with Edge Detect and all AA features.

18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, I know, but talk was about new drivers as they are or new drivrs in general. I do understand the older which I even used on my mods some time ago were working perfectly.

Although, I did locate today an driver 1 from 13 of new drivers which actually can apply the effects correctly and building a new build as we speak (as it needs incredible amount of other corrections).

@commonly

as for the drivers I am still curious to hear what drivers people here are using as their primary driver for notebooks/desktops.

Please, drop some kind of GPU hardware info while you post driver version.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Windowed mode?!?

Found my Dark Messiah DVD so installing for test now.

Does this Steam **** really need to be installed with the game?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, was just referring game engines 1-by-1. Yeah, windowed as usually it's just better test as it uses full row of modules instead of only D3D driver.