GTX 460 Stutter-Rama

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by blinx, Jan 5, 2011.

1. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I just got a gtx 460 I knew alot of people had stuttering issues but hoped i'd be one of the lucky ones I was wrong:3eyes:

It looks like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJbp-_921T4&feature=related

This is what happens http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1302/bnomfvzbo8b3qywj8.gif

Depending on game it may be better or worse gonna wait until the new drivers are released next week if not fixed am most like going to RMA an go back to ATI as it seems to be more of a hardware related issue than driver.

Hoping it might just be a defective card my question is have any 460 owners with the same problem fixed it by getting another card??

The only thing that helped are old 197.41 drivers using a modified INF which can be found here http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=185427 black ops is finally playable with those but still a stuttering lag fest when you look around:beam::paranoid:

2. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    somebody already gave you the answer on utube, your cpu is weaker than stephen hawking.

3. tomgreen321

tomgreen321 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD6870
    Starcraft 2 sucks with 2GB of memory. You have to run it on like medium, and even them it's not perfect. Get more memory, and your processor needs to be running at 3.5+. At 3, it's not helping much.

4. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    +1 This sums it up. The i3 is in no way a great gaming CPU. Gaming now days also benifits from 4+GB of ram. My 460 runs fantastic.

5. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    That's not my video it's just to show exactly what were experiencing.. I know it's a weak cpu at stock but rarely reaches 100% on all 4 threads plus 70% of the people reporting the same issues have overclocked quads and i7's the gtx 460 isn't that high end that it would totally cripple cpu performance as my previous card 4870 played smooth as silk and isnt that far behind.

Dozens of people using different brands are reporting the same stutter issues which nobody can find a solution to after lots of trouble shooting people are holding on to it hoping it's driver related but am coming to the conclusion it's just defective cards.

6. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    On my rig I play all my games at 1920x1080 with eveything maxed out and I never get any stuttering or anything like in that video. Now I have not tried any FPS games but Metro2033 was still running acceptable the 10 minutes or so I played it.

For gaming RTS games in patcular you need lots of ram and a strong CPU. You have neither. I can max out starcraft 2 and it runs smooth, no stutters.

You need a better CPU and more Ram if you want to max out games and get good performance at high settings. Medium to Medium low at best for you on your current rig. A good GPU is being held back by your CPU and Ram.

7. chris

chris Guest

GPU:
    GTX460
    works fine for me,did have a very slight micro stutter with the first drivers,but is gone with 260.99

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    You need 4gb ram, lol go and buy another 2gb tomorrow! that "quad" core will do for now :nerd:

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    At least double your ram. 2GB is not enough anymore for smooth gameplay.

10. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't think he said it was a Quad Core, but four threads.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  12. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    starcraft only uses two threads. so if youve split your dual core into four threads, it wont process the two threads as effectively as if you had disabled HT.

more ram and a cpu helps. heck, even with my setup, i dropped the physics of sc2 down from ultra to high so it wouldnt lag when im doing massive 3v3s with 200/200 armies (its a lot of physics for two cores of an amd processor to calculate).

13. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    It's 2 physical cores with 2 logical cores when I tab out of a games four cores are being used anyhow it's not the ram holding me back in dx9 windows xp tho i'm going to upgrade later it's a serious hardware defect that alot of users are encountering as seen by the many youtube vids and forums threads discussing it.

I only play fps racing and 3rd person games most of them play fine at high frame rates but the stuttering is out of this world never seen anything like it.. My 4870 handled the same games just fine with silky smooth frame rate no frame stutter.

I've tried formatting tried 8 diffrent drivers from beta to quadros to modded ones with the same results I pretty much concluded I have to rma the card and hope for the best.

14. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I forgot to mention that the stutter happens even if I lower all settings at 800x600 res or max everything at 1920x1080 same exact stutter-drama-rama.. I doubt any driver will ever fix this so my only chance is getting a working card from the manufacturer.

15. RiC@RdOC

RiC@RdOC Member

GPU:
    2xGTX460 1Gb
    The anwser to that question is no, but Sli definitely helped :)

16. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    How did you get SLI working on a P5Q? I know they support Crossfire, I wasn't aware of any 775 boards supporting SLI that weren't Nvidia boards like mine.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wow....so many inaccuracies...so little time. Your processor has 2 physical cores, 4 logical cores. Let me explain that a little better. Your processor supports HyperThreading... (barely....but that's just my opinion)...which provides 1 SMT "core" per physical core. Each physical core, counts for 1 logical core....thus, dual core + HT = 4 logical cores. Windows only assigns work to logical cores...so, dual core with 2 logical cores = only 2 functioning cores.

Now...the memory part is next in line. Whether you need more memory depends explicitly on memory usage. While 2GB might be fine for WindowsXP in general, 3.5GB ensures that applications have access to their full, allowed allocation limit. This eases the need for the system to use the pagefile...though it doesn't remove the need. Memory management in Win1.0 - XP, to put it bluntly, sucks. Windows, prior to Vista, has always had problems releasing memory. Simply put...you need to follow the recommendations set forth and add 2GB of ram to your system. While your memory isn't "bottlenecking" your graphics card....your processor is. Your memory is simply causing excessive harddrive access and limiting performance as a result. Memory never has and never will have a direct impact on graphics performance....it impacts SYSTEM performance.

Ditching XP, would be my next suggestion. You're running DirectX 10/11 cards....gimped. XP handles SMT (simultaneous multi-threading) very poorly compared to Vista or 7, both of which were designed specifically with multi-core/multi-threading in mind. XP is 10 years old and was designed with single-core processors being "the norm", and as such have very limited support for multi-core processors and SMT in general. As for "smooth with HD4870 vs stuttering with GTX460"...simply put, the GTX460 outperforms your HD4870....if you have an overclocked model, that gap wides by a decent amount.

18. RiC@RdOC

RiC@RdOC Member

GPU:
    2xGTX460 1Gb
    Because of the awesome work from this guys -> Sli Patch
    Tech forum about it -> http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=60844

Couldn't be happier with my two GTX, they scale like a mother fu**** :thumbup:

19. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I use XP and Win 7 in dual boot same results except for dx11 games which has less stutter this is in fact a hardware defect causing the stutter because I poped in my cousins 5870 yesterday and all my games ran smooth no stutter!

Alot of users reporting this issue are on quads and i7's using 4gb or more yet still experience this same nightmare stutter without any solid fix to this day.. The latest drivers do nothing to alleviate the problem Nvidia won't even acknowledge this issue no driver will ever fix this so my advice to fellow stutter-ramas get a working card or go ati.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    wow...my stuttering issues were fixed with the 259.32 drivers....those who are still having problems with stuttering, need to stop trying to "optimize" or "tweak" their systems....the majority of people having problems think their "tweaks" improve performance...or are using systems with faulty or under-performing components...or unstable overclocks.