Core i5 2500K & Core i7 2600K processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    While I will be sticking with my current system and won't be upgrading for another while, and won't be buying Intel when I do, I have to say Intel have made an excellent chip. Well done to them, now let's hope AMD release something of the same caliber, so, we can all rejoice at competition at its best.

The 980X is a beast. That CPU will last years to come, considering it still bests the 2600K in quite a few tests.

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Right I'm getting a sandybridge I've decided (in 6-12 months I think), will probs wait a bit though and see how it pans out etc. Dad's going to get one within 3-6 months though, probably a 2500K and wait for a Z68 chipset (overclock and IGP)(he's still on a dual core Pentium D 945 3.4ghz, sooooo slow).

Prices look good already though!

3. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Wouldn't it be better to wait for Ivy Bridge given that time frame?

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Depends on the socket/price, I want to go 1155 as it's cheaper, will just wait and see.

5. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I don't mean socket 2011 but the 22nm Sandy Bridge refresh that's slated for end of 2011/beginning of 2012.

I you end up waiting closer to the end of this year before upgrading you're likely going to regret not waiting for that.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    SMT or Simultaneous Multi-Threading is the proper term for the technology in general, i.e. running multiple threads on a single processing core. HT or HyperThreading is what Intel has chosen to call their particular rendition of SMT.

7. fuadsiraj

fuadsiraj New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580 Directcu II
    awesome review hilbert ... both P67 reviews was amazing and this sandy bridge P67 is jawbreaking

please if you dont mind can you post information about what is the model number of G.skill Ripjaws X memory dimms you use in MSI P67 motherboard review ?

8. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Just bought the following pre overclocked bundle from scan.co.uk after getting a very good price for my i7, RAM, mainboard and 1KW PSU

* Intel Core i7 2600K - Pre Overclocked to 4.9Ghz
    * 8Gb Corsair 1600Mhz "Vengeance" DDR3
    * Asus Maximus IV Extreme
    * Prolimatech Megahalems Mega Shadow
    * 120mm Akasa Apache Fan

I heard scan do VERY rigorous burn in testing, this is what convinced me to spend a bit more and pay for the overclock to be rock solid.

Will let you know how i get on with it

9. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    £780 though, is it worth that premium?

10. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Well i made £700 selling my previous parts so it's not too bad really. Saying that though, i've just noticed the Asus Maximus IV Extreme is an E-ATX board, which most likely won't fit in my Corsair 600T! So, probably going to cancel and get the cheaper 4.8ghz system (for £250 less cash!)

I've just bought this case so my wife would kill me if i bought another!

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    That's because the 2600K addresses the Core i7 800 series. The LGA2011 chips out in Q3/4 are to replace the Core i7 900 series along with the 980X.

I heard that by default the LGA2011 are sold as octo-cores.

deltatux

12. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    They're available for purchase, btw. $330 for a 2600k on Newegg.

13. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I didn't know that. Octo-core :3eyes: I bet they'll come with SMT :3eyes: That makes it almost as large as I am in inches ;)

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    nah LGA2011 are gonna be 4,6,8 core (up to 16threads) and with a biiiig fat 20mb L3 cache:nerd:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)#32_nm_Sandy_Bridge

if you look carefully there is no info abut LGA1356, well the socket is not yet final, but other "lga1356" SandyBridge-EN specifications look real.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  15. Erqury

Erqury Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    so.... that makes you about 32nm?

Octo-core doesnt seem right... maybe for top model, but not default config

16. MrHydes

MrHydes Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 SLI
    we should keep in mind this processors are written in 32nm process, so
    remember the problems intel had with 45nm Process, wich they had
    to incorporate a layer of high-k metal gate to improve the electrical conduction
    i don't see how this processors will handle high voltages or high frenquency
    without suffering any kind of damage! i belive it sould degrade the processor
    and i'm just not sure about the (IMC limitations) memory high frequencies or memory voltage will be an obstacle too.

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i went to some random comptuer shop today with a friend and they had a display set up with the I7-2600k and the Intel DH67CL mobo. not sure what the other specs were on the computer but this thing is sweet. i got to play around with it for a little while and i was really impressed. got to talking around with one of the employees and i did notice that the heatsink differed from the one on HH's review. so i asked her why that was and she said the ones that come with 2600 are going to be the low profile coolers, but you can purchase the tower cooler from intel directly. not sure if thats the case on the other sb cpus, i didnt ask. now im not real fond of stock coolers, so im wondering if we are going to start seeing aftermarket 1155 coolers or are we gonna be able to use the 1556 coolers. i know that sounds retarded, but i just want to get some calrifications on this because imo i didnt really see a difference in the mounting bracket when i looked inside of the computer.

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It's not retarded and usually the coolers from previous sockets are compatible. And I doubt there is much of a diffrence from the 1556 if any at all socket wise.

It's allready known that lga 2011 will be compatible with lga 1366 coolers...

19. Espair

Espair Active Member

GPU:
    HD4870 1gb@2048x1152
    Isnt it kind of a waste to have the "graphics processor" combined? I mean, most of us here use a separate video card so it'll be disabled anyways...

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    unless they have a media center type thing or htpc, whatever yall call it and dont have the room for a card. they can just run it off the chip. from what i read that graphics thing is pretty sweet but it doesent have dx11 support. honestly i couldnt see a visual difference from the demo they had running anyways

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.