Core i5 2500K & Core i7 2600K processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrHydes

MrHydes Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 SLI
    not quite just for nomenclature, it's different really

Ring architecture allows all ores to communicate or
    share information from any cache, not directly but through
    the ring.

Multi-core is much more efficient, color data sharing
    through the ring. created a level 0 cache of microinstructions, cache
    level3 tb that is shared between each core intel smart
    Cache "this approach is quite innovative.

Nehalem as 12 FPU, while SB has 15FPU SB in the cluster of execution which
    allows better performance on floating point math operations.

the predictor unit deviation was also increased compared to
    Nehalem to be able to increase the predictability of enforcement and reduce
    waiting time or lantencia. (Branch or branch target predictor targer buffer).

Another aspect of the redesign was improved addressing and
    storing data in L1 cache, storage can make
    addressing as well as storage can address
    which doubles the load (128bits x2) = 256-bit per clock cycle in
    instead of 128 in Nehalem.

these cpu's have a TDP of 95W spec can be almost as fast
    Gulftown as yet consume less than what is Lynnfield
    superb.

sure you will not be disappointed just some highlights numerous
    architecture and even spoke at AVX in transcoding with SB is that only
    plus one of the special features or OC

2. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    singapore pricing

Asus Maximus IV Extreme + 2600k = S$978
    Gigabyte P67A-UD7 + 2600k = S$915

The cheaper alternatives(Im really tempted to sell my i7 950 and Rampage III Formula for these :wanker:)

MSI P67A-GD55 + 2600k = S$688
    Gigabyte P67A-UD3r = S$678

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  3. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    makes loads of sense, for me it would mean being able to integrate my HTPC into my main machine.

Why? Because Z68 allows switchable graphics, So when your gaming and need the extra punch of discrete graphics you use that to the detriment of power consumption and when the PC is lightly loaded/HTPC (which is most of the time in my case) you can switch to the more then capable on chip IGP.

So basically you save the 100+ watts modern cards waste when not using it + in my case remove a second computer which is another saving of 100-300watts.

4. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    So what?

Sandy Bridge run at higher clocks, and for that small percentage of user that care about such things it overclocks higher than previous generations as well.

If one graphics card runs at 500MHz and another at 700MHz should we downclock the latter for a 'fair' comparison?

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Do you really need/have a use for SMT to require the 2600K?

deltatux

6. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Personally I were dead set on the 2500K as it seems to offer the best bag-for-buck but after seeing the compile time benefits of the 2600K in AT's review (only tested in Visual Studio though) I'm sorely tempted to bite the bullet on the latter.

Naturally I blame AT completely if it ends up costing me more. :)

7. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    So you guyes are saying what i'm better off waiting for the Z68 rather than throwing away my 930 and R3E for a P67? *right away?

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Problem is that SMT is only useful in certain situations while detrimental in others. Remember, you're sharing your core with more than 1 thread at a time. If the software is properly threaded and can use the execution pipeline efficiently, then you'll either notice a performance decrease or no change as the processor is trying to shove another thread in an already full pipeline.

SMT expects that the software running in your system will either be coded poorly so that it leaves gaps in the execution pipeline or a thread stalls waiting for resources/user input that it put that thread on hold while letting another thread through. If neither of these conditions are met, the software will perform worse than with SMT disabled.

There's a trade off with SMT depending on what you do, it's not suddenly you get an extra core out of nothing. Personally, this is why I never liked SMT, sure it fixes the inefficient use of the execution pipeline, but a lot of people think that it's a guaranteed performance increase because of the marketing hype built behind it but in reality, it's only useful in certain situations and detrimental in other situations. A lot of people don't realize this so they think, hey, I get 8 cores out of 4, sweet when in reality, it doesn't work that way completely.

deltatux

9. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
  10. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Totally.

I've been reading a lot about the architecture though, and every review I've come across. The times when SMT works against the 2600K aren't that many and, more importantly, the effect isn't greatly detrimental when it does.

When it offers an advantage it's usually quite substantial however.

Now, for gaming it's certainly not something I'd recommend but as my requirements have branched out from that area over the last few years I've come to the conclusion that it might well be worth the premium for me personally.

I'm not entirely decided I admit, actual retail pricing over here will probably be the deciding factor, but I'm certainly considering the 2600K now when I didn't before.

11. N.O.U.G.N.

N.O.U.G.N. Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080 8Gb
  12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Just don't run applications like SQL databases (as it looks like you're an app developer since you said Visual Studio), then you should be fine.

deltatux

13. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    *s* Ah no, I'll take your word on that. No SQL.

I haven't actually worked in VS yet, it's mostly Java through Eclipse for me, but I'm hoping some of those rather impressive gains will translate into other compilers as well.

Heck, if all else fails I can always disable HT and enjoy the extra cache over the 2500K I reckon. My economy isn't quite as bad as it used to be.

14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080

SMT is HT right? I havent really noticed any performance decrease from enabling it on my i7 950 :) enabling it helped a lot in v-ray rendering though

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Scan UK have them for pre-order and are a fair bit cheaper than OC-UK.

16. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    So what speeds do you think i can push a 2600k to with my custom loop? ^^
    AnyonE? =)

17. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Same here, went for the E8600 for higher clock speed per core than C2Q at that time could with air-cooled OC (without hunting for specific batches) consider i run more non-multi-threaded apps & games than multi-threaded ones at that time.
    2600K looks like a great replacement for my high clock E8600, better than anything else AMD has to offer right now.

It's nice to have a CPU that can take on extra 500MHz over the 24/7 OC for long render processes to speed up things.

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Do note that AMD Bulldozer is due April eh?

I think most people should be fine with the 2500K and don't need to go with the 2600K, especially if you're only gaming.

deltatux

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    HT is just the marketing name for SMT. SMT is the proper term.

Like I said, it may increase, decrease or do nothing at all to the performance, but one thing I hate is people thinking that it'll guarantee speed increases and then waste their money if it does the latter two more than increase performance.

deltatux

20. Leennux

Leennux New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 460 768MB SLI
    here in the US (microcenter) 2600K will sell for $280 and 2500K for $180 on 1/9, which IMO is great in terms of price/performance ratio. Intel just nailed it this time even more!! great stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.