Nvidia To Fix Dx7

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Rich_Guy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    yea.. i think gothic 2 was the best of the series.. mebbe not combat system wise but environment and story and gameplay wise... it was my first open world/sandbox game and i didnt even know it when i brought it. i just got this game at a time when there was nothing else on the market and what i got was totally amazing.. i was at this game for weeks.. just exploring the wilds doing all sorts of crazy things without caring about teh main quest. i wanted to learn as many skills and get as trained in professions as possible.. by the time i even got to the questing i had killed about half the monsters in the place, almost all in the starting areas. i used to soo faithfully go and work for the blacksmith makin swords.. that game was epic for me.. sweet memories :)

2. Barso

Barso Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 SC
    Does anyone have any DX8 issues?
    I have just purchased rollercoaster tycoon2 deluxe edition and even though it says on the box it works for vista and W7, I cant's get past the startup screen as it just looks like static mess.

Really dissappointed as I love that game and I can't get it to run on a core i7 and a GTX480.:bang:

3. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    I never got it to run on Windows 7 either. I'm not sure what the issue was. If you do happen to get it running let me know how.

4. Wolfseven

Wolfseven Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI NGTX580 1.2gb
    this is great news for Falcon4 AF flight simmers!
    hope it works with Homeworld; homeworld:Cataclysm, Homeworld 2.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010

5. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Sweet, as I was planning to dust off my "Gothic Universe" I've bought a while ago and run through Gothic I to III again :)

6. thisizbrian

thisizbrian Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780 SLI
    as long as i can still play commandos 2 im ok

7. kindred

kindred Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB
    I can't see any difference when using the latest Nvidia drivers compared to earlier drivers. All DX7 games still worked, but most suffered from awful dithering problems when using DX10 GFX cards and this hasn't changed with the latest drivers. So what did they actually fix? Thankfully DDFIX allows me to run some games without the dithering problems. SShock 2, Thief 2 & Crimson Skies. :).

8. Moshing

Moshing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 BOE@900core
    Nv30 was a horrid mix-mash of 3dfx and Nvidia ideas, not a pure 3dfx design at all. Rampage was to be the follow up to Voodoo 5, but never was finished due to the buy out. Nvidia tried to use some of Rampage on an new and untested process node in Nv30 is what happened badly, making it hot and power hungry. They pushed too hard and got bit for it.

Geforce 5 (5800 Ultra specifically) was totally borked from the get go. Nv35 really fixed a lot of problems though and made the whole thing viable, but it was too late in the face of ATI's R300/350/360 line. The R300 versus Nv30 scenario was recently replayed, at a lower level of intensity though. Cypress versus Fermi was a quite similar scenario of Nvidia pushing too hard and getting bit for it while AMD took the easier choices and they payed off with a quicker to market product that was uncontested for nearly half a year. And again, Nvidia refreshes the losing product (losing the time to market battle was a big ouchy for Fermi) into a winner before the loser even hits the shelves. GF110 was on the drawing boards before GF100 saw the light of the public.

Edit: Sorry for the derail, back to regularly scheduled program :p

9. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    No they didn't :p

Improves compatibility for older PC games (DirectX 7 to DirectX 9) running on Windows 7 (examples: Gothic, Gothic II, Falcon 4.0: Allied Force, Links 2003, Independence War II - Edge of Chaos, and X2: Wolverine's Revenge).

Gothic for example was buggered with nvidia, Black Screen but worked fine on ATI. Do a search on gog.com in their forums :)

Not sure if it was a Nvidia and Windows 7 or just Nvidia because i see they do mention win 7.

10. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
    ^THIS^ Nvidias lost their collective minds. Dx7...? really? What a joke.
    My next card is AMD.

11. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Wait what... So your telling everyone on gog.com they should be shot? :3eyes:. Anyone who plays gothic 1 and 2 should be shot?

Btw this thread is Really old now, DX7 issue was fixed ages ago :nerd::nerd:

12. kindred

kindred Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB
    Compared to DX 7,8 & 9, there's not that many DX10 games available. I still play loads of old games and graphics aren't everything. Classics like System Shock 2, Theif 2 and Gothic 2 have excellent gameplay and with the latest mods, they are even better. You're also missing out on two of the best strategy games available such as Act of War and it's expansion if you solely stick to DX10 games.

13. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    yep. i alrady played through gothic 1 and had more fun then with any dx11/dx 10 title and i've played them all.

soon im gonna embark on the gothic 2 journey as well :nerd:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  14. Fr0stx

Fr0stx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780SC@1100Mhz 1.087v
    Still this DX7 debate. Would be great if recent card would work with old games... But the fact is that there is a fade out and I think this is normal! Just like windows 7 does'nt support all win98 program....

I mean were talking DX7 here, not 9... Title that are more than 7-8 years old. I'm sure you can build a PC to play these title for less than 100$.

IMO fine if the game works, but if not... then tough luck!

15. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    The 260 drivers didn't fix dx7 games, my dx7 was already fix anyways. So i am not sure what nvidia was talking about, i never had any problems playing any dx7 games which i own and if i did, it wasn't because of the drivers, it was because of the OS i was using.

16. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    win7 dx7 was broken. might also just be 64bit. not sure. but definitely not winxp.

17. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Yeah was just 64bit win7 with Nvidia, fixed (for me at least with the Gothic games) since the 260.xx driver release