Core i5 2500K & Core i7 2600K processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I definitely need it!

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No need for me to go SB :)

3. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    time for me to upgrade also but i think i will wait for the z68 or z67 motherboards and see if handbrake uses the decoder or encoder on Sandybridge.

4. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Awesome review! I REALLY want a Core i7 2600K, but it's probably best to wait & see what else is around the corner.

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    pretty much just a 6 core version & an 8 core extreme version by the end of the year.

AMD is moving to 8 cores, but I don't think the performance per core is going to be enough to catch the 6 core version of this chip. They'll have to bump up to 10+ cores for that imo. Of course as others have pointed out I'm just doing guesswork based on the server version of the chip.

6. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    but for e-peens sake! for e-peens sake!!!! :nerd::nerd::nerd:

seriously, it just seems tempting to grabe them..but of course I must resist as I do realize its not right given I just upgraded a couple of months ago and yeah, i did survive on an e8400 for 2 years prior to upgrading :wanker: that and I have the upgrade habit of upgrading only when there is double performance..(though I did come from 4Gb to 6Gb which isnt doubling the ram lol) but pretty much my pattern is to upgrade when there is substantial increase in performance...

Im just thinking...SB i7 is 20% clock per clock faster than i7 1366, if SB can easily reach 5Ghz on air, its like having an i79xx quad running at 6Ghz amirite? :banana::banana::banana:

Since Im a wus when it comes to OCing, then 4.5Ghz would be doable for me instead of 5Ghz, and that would be about equivalent to an i7 950 running at 5.5Ghz!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  7. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Who else is waiting for next Intel/Nvidia generation hardwares? I don't feel like doing small upgrades everytime.

8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Is it reasonable to expect 8 cores from intel this year?

9. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    I would buy one if they didn't change the socket type again as buying another mobo every upgrade gets expensive so ill wait till the end of the year to see what they have out then.

10. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    I'm waiting for Sandy Bridge EX and Socket 2011 to launch before I personally jump on the train that goes over the new Sandy Bridge. While the performance-per-core is certainly impressive, I want to build an extreme gaming PC and that's not going to happen with the H67 or P67 chipsets. We all know that X68 is waiting in the wings, and it will probably launch alongside Sandy Bridge EX, so that's what I'm holding out for.

By the way, Hilbert: You wrote that the P67 chipset gets an additional two x8 PCIe Lanes, but the way I read that chart, there's an OR in there. As in, 1 PCIe x16 lane OR 2 PCIe x8 lanes. Are you sure it's an "and", and not an "or"? Because on the chart between the 1 x16 and the 2 x8's, the word "or" seems to be there. Am I the only one who's seeing the word "or" in there?

11. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    I just noticed that the i7 2500/2600 review was placed under PSU subsection instead of processors XD

12. RonanH

RonanH Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Fantastic. Love the performance of the new Sandy Bridge systems but I really, really hate that plastic cover on what was for me the nicest motherboard available for the old i7 range.

One thing that is really starting to bother me though while reading Guru3D reviews is a really small thing but one of those things that gets under your skin... please stop writing "alright" at the end of sentences.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Still don't feel like upgrading lol... Though I'm happy I bought a quadcore 3,5 years ago. Like he stated in the review, when games support quadcore, raw cpu power starts to matter less.

14. AFQ

AFQ Member

GPU:
    SPARKLE Calibre X460G SLi
    @Hilbert
    Thanks for the review.

I wanted to know what kinda fan can be installed on that place on motherboard? Do ASUS have any plans of including the fan with retail mobos? Can you show some pics with that fan bracket removed?

15. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    I know what you mean Corrupt! Although I've been waiting on Sandy Bridge for over a year. I absolutely do not have to upgrade right now, but I most definitely AM, as I've just got that itch that needs to be scratched. In all fairness though my current rig has held out incredibly well, but going from a q6600/4870 to a 2600k/570 with a speedy SSD, it's going to be well worth it!

16. Grim_2o0o

Grim_2o0o Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 Nitro +

Me too!

I did have a Q9550, but swapped it for the E8400 and some cash, as most games didn't benefit from multi-threading at the time. I skipped the i3/5/7 architecture as I didn't have enough cash to upgrade to DDr3 with a new mobo etc, and I was waiting for USB3 and SATA6Gbps.

Sandy Bridge has appeared just in time for me, looks perfect for us Core2 users. If the memory bandwidth is correct, then it's almost double what I have now. :D

17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea if oc'ed it can go even higher ~25 gb/s read, ~28gb/s write and ~27gb/s copy

that's 3x if you have around 8-9gb/s now :D

18. Grim_2o0o

Grim_2o0o Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 Nitro +

It's almost criminal isn't it! :nerd:

19. PetritH

PetritH Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XT
    So the prices isn't known yet ?

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea im craving for that kind of speed too, but wait there is more:nerd:

SB LGA1356 has 39gb/s and SB LGA2011 with 48gb/s, finish him! brutality! moortaal kooombat!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.