Is my HDD damaged?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vincent, Jan 5, 2011.

1. vincent

vincent Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR-5
    Hey what up. I've got an error message from my hdd. I've changed the hdd cable when i saw that message, but the error still persists. Is my hdd dead? What does this message mean? Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    That means it has detected 1 CRC error in the past.
    If no more appear, I wouldnt worry.

3. scr3am

scr3am Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I would back up the drive just to be safe. Listen for abnormal noises coming from the drive, I've read of many seagate 7200.11 dying that way.

4. FeAr3d

FeAr3d Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6970 2GB
    Back up just in case.

5. vincent

vincent Guest

GPU:
    My hdd manages to hang from time to time. My pc is not slow, its pretty fast. But sometimes when i'm installing a game, its like i have a 10 years old pc. My system hangs, hdd starting to spin and spin...I will back it up

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Back it up and get a new drive, sounds like it's going to die soon.

I recommend the SAMSUNG F3 500GB:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

If you want more space, I recommend its 1TB sibling:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Personally I like to split my OS from my data. I have an OS drive, and then a dedicated data drive in case the OS drive fails (the most likely to fail since the OS drive works the hardest). So, if you decide to take this route, get the SAMSUNG F3 500GB and then get like a SAMSUNG F2 EcoGreen 1 TB or 1.5 TB or something like that.

deltatux

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yep the drive sounds poorly.

8. vincent

vincent Guest

GPU:
    Man, thanks for your post, but I was thinking about 2x Raptors 300GB in a Raid-0 Configuration. What do you all think about that?

9. scr3am

scr3am Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
  10. FeAr3d

FeAr3d Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6970 2GB

11. scr3am

scr3am Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    True, didn't think of the vertex. I have the above setup but with 2 x 1TB, very happy with its performance.

12. FeAr3d

FeAr3d Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6970 2GB
  13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'd recommend the SAMSUNG F3 1TB over the Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB if the OP wants to take the SSD route.

deltatux

14. FeAr3d

FeAr3d Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6970 2GB
    I take the WB Blacks tried and true over Samsung's F3....didn't the F1's have lots of issues? I like Samsung's new LED T.Vs though. :)

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I have a SAMSUNG drive, and it's quite solid. I have the SAMSUNG F2 EcoGreen 1 TB and I can assure you it's quite stable.

I don't recommend things that are known to be unstable.

The SAMSUNG F3 is fast, stable and cheaper than the WDC Caviar Black.

deltatux

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Its a common error from the SMART values. Usually associated with a faulty cable or poor connection. Have a drive that reported that a couple years ago, replaced its cable and continued to run it for another year with no problem. Changed it for a bigger drive, but still using it in another PC with no probs. WD diagnostic tests came clean. I think the "worst" SMART values are retained forever and that maybe while its still showing up as an ultra dma crc error. And the "number of interface communications errors" is only reported as 1 in my case as well. So that may been a one off cable related issue. I'm not worried about it unless I get other errors or hear sounds. But if you use it for anything critical you may want to use another drive and relegate the other one to less critical uses, ie, backups, etc. Just continue to monitor it and do diagnostic tests every once in a while.

17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I'vve got a 750GB F1 that's a few years old now with no problems, also got a 500GB F3 and a 1.5TB F2, all are fine.

18. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    Just stick a Samsung F3 1TB (HD103SJ) and be done with it. SSDs are still quite expensive and unless the OP really wants the better performance, there's not very much reason to go for one yet. Running 2x HD103SJ's in RAID 0 would provide performance equivalent to a Sandforce-class SSD while offering 2TB of storage space. Seek times are nowhere nearly as good as SSDs, but if the OP's still satisfied with his current configuration, even a single conventional HDD will offer a very nice performance improvement.

19. FeAr3d

FeAr3d Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6970 2GB
    Agree. I'm holding off on the SSD scene until it's cheaper and higher capacity.