Gran Turismo 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by boodikon, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPMATRIX

JPMATRIX Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GTX SLI
    thats because GT5 is noting more that a GT4 with 200 detailed cars and rushed ideas.

You constantly get the idea that the game is incomplete, the last patch proves that.

At least they will eventually fix the game, but by that time I will be bored with it.

Its like a PC game you should only buy it after all the patches are out and optimizations made.

2. Leodie

Leodie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Turn ON Force skid recovery...or whatever its called. Made a hell of a difference on the race with the Ford Focus.

When turned off i managed to get 7sec behind the leader. Like WTF!!:3eyes: Impossible!
    When turned on i got him on Lap 3/5, about 25sec lead.

3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Never had any trouble controlling normal cars, but for the Formula's and Red bull cars I turn it on, otherwise it's impossible to drive agressive enough without a steering wheel.

The Red Bull challange can be done with a normal controller, but it's sheer madness. It would require me 2 weeks of practice to perfect it since I can't really correct my steering errors on the controller so for now I'm kinda cba with that challenge.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Seasonal challenges... hard but not impossible got gold for all of them and that includes the Focus ST one without having to use skid recovery force, as everyone suggests.

On the other hand the B Spec driver is really starting to do my nut in, I had to restrain throwing my joypad through the screen after watching him compete in the High Speed Ring section of the Nascar championship. After watching his progress carefully I have concluded. That the B Spec driver is

- Incapable of maintaining consistent lap pace
    - In capable of basic car control (he is on and off throttle through corners and up and down gears constantly)
    - Is utterly incapable of learning, watch him lose the bac end at the chicane at Grand valley... then watch as he does it again and again for the next 7 laps.
    - Has no knowledge of defensive or offensive driving position
    - Doesn't know how to toe correctly
    - Can't out brake opponents, I am not talking about the hot and cold thing here, not the guy taking a chance that may or may not have been their Iam talking about a gap you could get the f*cking Starship Enterprise through and he'll just slip in behind the opponent and take the racing line rather than drive past
    - Talking of racing lines, he can't even get that right, he spends most of his times sitting on an apex that is exactly large enough to allow half tyhe field to pass on the inside of the corner.
    - why does he brake before anyone else, better yet why does he brake when others don't... Daytona and Indianapolis speedways highlight this well.
    - Why is he markedly slower through corners than anyone else yet is utterly incapable of holding the car to the apex, even when he drives the same car as everyone else?
    - Who overtakes on the outside of a tightly packed group of cars on a speedway unless they have a sizeable speed advantage? Just watched him on Indianapolis. Stuck to a racing line that allowed plenty of room for cars to pass up the inside and EVERY single attempt at a pass was made on the outside leaving enough room to get the entire bloody field up the inside.
    - Is incapable of controlled pace through high speed corners
    - Will do everything in his power to avoid hitting other cars whilst the AI will barge their way through every chance they get
    - Cannot maintain his car, he burnt through a set of Hard Racing tyres on Grand Valley speedway in 6 and a bit laps, all very well and good if he was going like stink but he was laughably slow. I managed 15 laps in a more powerful car whilst maintaining a much higher average lap time on the same tyres.

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that the B Spec mode is NOT to take a newb driver and guide them through their career, watching them improve and get better over time. For that to be true you would require at least someone with the very basic ability to race cars. The B Spec driver is roundly and wholly incapable of even the most basic driving abilities. Stick him in a field of 50BHp Micras and he will make all the same mistakes he would make if he was racing in a field of 900BHP Formula GTs. He does not learn he does not get better with time. Like I said in a race he will make the same mistake time and again at the exact same spot on a course.

I find it hard to work out what the purpose of the B Spec mode is, the nannying of him during the race is tedious, especially given that he is such an incapable moron. Tell him to overtake and watch as he makes a half arsed attempt at what would be a 100% dead cert for even the most ham fisted of learner drives.

It isn't a genuine attempt at a management sim with racing because if it is it is so shallow I am shocked Jordan hasn't tried to marry it for newspaper headlines.

It may be a way of easing what has become know as the level and cash grind. Turn it on, stick him in a race and car that he can't possibly lose and then go away and do something more interesting and avoid having to grind race after race yourself to get to whatever level they have set before you can enter the unsaveable 24 hour races. This one was the most likely option but the massive cash and exp rewards for what now looks like the regular seasonal events put the spanner in that idea

So I can only assume the B Spec mode is some sort of advanced Japanese meditation, a test of true zen like qualities. Can you sit there and watch someone who is incapable of performing said task without losing your rag. Kind of like watching your grandma play a game and having to resist the urge to grab the controller off her and show her how it should be done, times a million.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

5. JPMATRIX

JPMATRIX Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GTX SLI
    And when he drives off track the way he waits for all the opponents to pass before entering the track lol its just mind crushing.

but for me the worst is the constant farming for XP, XP should appear normally when you progress trough the game, having to repeat the same race over and over again to gain XP is nonsense.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Used to wheel but took me 2 days for sazuka, took me one day for nurburgh, took me umm 4 tries to get bronze on monza easy pickings cut the chicanes.

Been back working on sazuka my all time best lap is 2:12.8, but gave up for the holiday i did not need the stress :p. But when i get back to it i am going to gold sazuka then gold nurburg then save monza for last. Gets much easier to push the "car" once you have bronzed them all, i mean my sazuka times went up dramatically after i got the base car. to the point i was hitting 2:13s with fair normalcy and took me 2 days of working on it, when first time around i barely bronzed it cause i was so fearful of blowing the 2nd lap.

Dunno tho i hate the car lol i never use it my bobs have trashed the car running indy and endurance races in it. Still want to get that carbon one it is bugging me, and heck the 800k cr and the xp per track would be nice to.

7. JPMATRIX

JPMATRIX Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GTX SLI
    looooooooooooooool read This!

Susuka 1000k endurance race Bspec.

Its raining so you choose rain tires, but bob keeps wanting to pit in to change for intermediate tires! even if you change the pit strategy to soft tires it makes no difference, so I let it go change the tires or else I have to manually cancel the pit in after each lap lol and surprise! hes slow like a turtle, I can already see him drive off when he becomes tired lol

Seriously I wonder how would this game be if Kazunori Yamauchi wasn't such a perfectionist... I really do because if he calls this perfection...

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'm starting to wonder if the B-Spec drivers you guys have are botched... Mine goes in the pit for rain tires or intermediate tires, depending on how severe it rains, goes back in for softies once the rain is over and wins the race with ease.

There's one thing I did notice though. If a b-spec driver has problems with a certain corner in a track, you tell him to slow down and after a couple of times he actually seems to remember this and slows down in that corner a tad more. Same goes the other way around, if you keep telling him to go really fast in a certain section, he'll eventually go fast without you even telling him.

Seems to me the B-Spec drivers have some kind of simple learning algorithm. I've noticed this alot, since I have the TV next to my PC and the B-Spec guy is buzzy while I'm on the PC, so I gave him "orders" in the early stages of the game. Now, every time he does a track he's done before a couple of times, he finishes it with ease, not even losing control once. Every time he did a track that was new to Mr. B-Spec, he would make mistakes and I would have to guide him for the first 5 or so laps.

Though the "track experience" seems to be shared between all my drivers, I only had to "tutor" my first b-spec driver, the other ones didn't seem to make the mistakes he made in the beginning.

My biggest gripe with GT5 is that, after 6 bloody years... you'd expect EVERY car to be premium.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  9. JPMATRIX

JPMATRIX Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GTX SLI
    just came back from the shopping, left bob racing and my f1 car ins completely destroyed, the back spoiler is completely sideways lol, I can say good bye to 500000cr to repair it.

I found out hes been missing the pit entry and hitting the wall, at least he realized that it was raining and accepts rain tires, maybe rain tires are only for hurricane like rain.

Corrupt^ try the nurburgring small version, the second to last corners any off my drivers will fail EVERY single time unless I tell him once in a wile to slow down.

I have 6 drivers one level 30 and the rest at level 26.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    He used to fail them in the beginning, but I kept bashing the "slower pace" button in that corner and now he does it just fine.

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    NOte you do not have to repair your car if its gets trashed during a race, tho it is assumed crashing the car in general wears out the chassis faster than nice clean driving, but race visual damage is fixed when you exit a race, or physical damage when you pit online.

AI and gt life racing none of it has permanent mechanical damage tho, and even if you turn it on for practice it only lasts that practce run it does not carry out and has to be fixed.

Chassis reapir and engine rebuild are only good at gtauto if you have really driven the car so much that the engine is worn out and the chassis is shot to hell and back, about the only way to tell if a cars chassis is shot is by driving it and see how it behaves vs the norm, engines you just have to watch the HP of an engine after oil changes, and engine reapir is not all that big a deal normally less you are anal about keeping your bhp topped off or your doing a hard one make race like the FGT championship.

One final point GT5 was being developed for about 3 to 4 years not 6, swear every time someone mentiones the development cycle of gt5 the year increases by one :p, They had gt psp version, gt hd, and gt5p, granted some of the stuff from gthd and gt5p carried over to gt5 but still a ton of it was reworked and stuff tweaked greatly, but the hardcore work on the full gt5 was probably closer to 4 years or so.

12. faded

faded Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 OC
    I just got a PS3 and GT5.. and yeah there are quite a few flaws in the game. I agree with Corrupt^, why oh why is not every car detailed like the premium ones? You get a standard car, and really they look terrible. Did they just lift them straight out of GT4 and go, meh that will do. I did expect better.
    And why is it that you seem to have to spend more money modifying cars to beat the races than you actually win?..
    Apart from that, its a pretty good game so far, just not as good as I had hoped.

13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Cause the premiums take months to build and test? and PD is a sorta small maker?

If you wanted to wait 10 years sure you could see 1000+ cars in premium. On the ps5....

You can do most of the game and never drive a standard car. Only a handful of one make races you are stuck with a standard car with no premium options.

Some of the standard cars look much worse than others tho, i could have lived with some of them better if they lest put texture upgrades on them. But if you think after 4 years anyone could model 1000 cars with 600k+ polygons and interiors well good luck with that.

Forza had more premium like cars simply cause they farmed them out to other people to make. So you get some cars look really good and some cars are not so good and accuracy is spotty. Kaz is so much a micromanager that he would never allow others to build cars they were going to use in their game. So we get 200 modeled fully, well more like 150 180 so there are quite a few race cars that are premium but are just different colored reskins of the same car.

And lets be honest the premium cars like the italia and others are just so jaw dropping beautiful and detailed i am quite happy i have premium ferraris, mclarens and lambos. So what if some of the lesser standard cars are horrible looking only time i will see them is in noobie races and i sure as hell will not be driving them ever.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Actually I think with premium Kaz means that everything from top to toe is as close as possible to reality, not just the looks. But seriously, they could have AT LEAST given the non premium cars a higher resolution texture.

And cerebus, it's not just cars in "noobie races", there's plenty of GT1, Prototypes, ... begging to become premium tbh.

15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Well yea there are many standard cars i would like to see premium, but there is a pretty wide gap between some of the worst standard cars with super low res textures on them and many that have decent quality textures on them so at first glance they look pretty solid and even racing against them they look good. THankfully the really bad ones are pretty few in number i mean you look at them and can count the pixels and the blockly looking seams and window trims.

On a another note in an interview kaz said they might upgrade some standard cars to premium, but he said they might do that for gt5 or hold it off for gt6 and he gave no clear indication if that would be free or pay, as usual kaz is wholly noncommittal whenever he give interviews.

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Sigh, PS3 Network won't let me use any email or name with "Corrupt" in it lol...

K after 15 mins of pure annoyance not letting me enter any name, I got it working when I used the name "beCorrupt". Seriously that PS3N registration website is one of the worst ever, it doesn't even tell you WHY you can't use a nickname or w/e.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    heh i had that with one of alt account names, just had to scrap it and choose another.

18. JPMATRIX

JPMATRIX Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GTX SLI

wait until you find out that for a 20 minute race you win 108000 cr (super speedway indy dream car) and for a 7 HOUR RACE!!! you get 125,400cr (susuka endurance 1000km). :bang:

cerebus23 my bob is is using the F1 non stop crashing it all the time, the chassis doesn't suffer in bsepc mode?

19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    FGT is a twitchy car period, do you have it tuned at all? I rather bob use the minolta over the FGT cause they seem to deal with the miolta much better in general. Heck i perfer to use the minolta over the fgt heh.

BUt you can try telling them to pace down in the parts of the track they are running the car off and pace up on the straights.

Well i do not know if b-sec crashing will not add to the cumulative worsening of the chassis over time, but crash damage itself lasting no. There is no hard and fast info on the chassis mechanics, there are just general theories and speculation that crashing the car will make the chassis go bad faster than than car is driven clean. But really that is hard to judge since we cannot examine the chassis after x y and z race clean and crash conditions.

Mean my italia that i and my bobs used at the start of the game was shot at about 600-700 miles driven, do not recall them utterly trashing or wrecking the car like mad because i had aeros and all on that car and it was extremely easy to drive. Still racing i found the car getting loose in corners and not too long after i just could not put the power down at all in turns without losing the back end of the car utterly.

Then my enzo went tho i do not recall the mileage just that it was my goto car after the italia just could not quite cut it in the uppers race series, but bob was driving that car alot and yea harder car to drive in general so they probably wrecked it more than the itala. but the back end was just a nightmare period when its chassis went.

But then i got race cars that have several thousand miles on them with few ill effects, hence i think that race cars have much more chassis durability than normal road cars to begin with. I had to redo the engine and chassis on my ford lm test car at like 3,500 miles, and that car is pretty much only used for farming cr on indy, so its practically never crashed.

20. JPMATRIX

JPMATRIX Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GTX SLI
    So what you are saying is that chassis damage is pointless, confusing and bad implemented.

The game would do fine without it, or at least a better system.

Like I said before its hard to distinguish between a twitchy car and one with the damaged chassis, at least in some cars like the F1.

And spending 500000 credits to repair a car without being ABSOLUTELY sure that the car is damaged...

To win 500000 credits you have to do the susuka 1000k 4 times thats 24 hours, or you could do the indy car and get the same money in 1 hour, or a special challenge and get 1000000 in 5 minutes lol.

Thats how consistent this game his.

I only use the minolta for the ovals, and the F1 for all the other tracks, my bob races great in almost all the tracks but, nurburgring small version and monaco in certain corners if you donĀ“t keep reminding him to slow down he crash every single time.

BTW, just tried the X1 chalange and its fuc**ing insane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.