GTX 460 Stuttering Issues...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by doh_nut, Nov 16, 2010.

1. doh_nut

doh_nut Member

GPU:
    2 x GA GTX460 OC SLI
    I have recently purchased a GTX 460, a supposed "upgrade" from my GTX 260SP 216 (a very good card)...

Upon installation of the new GTX 460 i found some very annoying stuttering issues in a variety of different games from different eras (TDU, Crysis, Mafia 2). The game doesn't appear to lag but every few seconds there seems to be a stutter... Quite Annoying...!

Has anyone else had any other issues like this and doe anyone know of or direct me to a fix or does anyone know if the 260.99 drivers or newer fix it...? if it keeps going on i am gonna have to go back to the GTX260 and return the GTX 460 (which i don't wanna do coz i threw out the box... :p)

I have a seperate GT430 for PhysX and use DriverSweeper everytime i perform a Driver Update... I have done a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 as well but still am experiencing issues... :( :( :(

Any Help would be much appreciated...

Cheers, :cheers:

2. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    try other than 260+ drivers

3. doh_nut

doh_nut Member

GPU:
    2 x GA GTX460 OC SLI
    Thanks for the reply... My only concern is that will lower drivers support the GTX460... Correct me if i am wrong but the lowest driver that supports GTX460 is 257/8...? i think that i used that driver when i first got the card...

4. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    you need to use the most recent whql drivers, if i remember correctly anything before the 260xx had the dpc issues.
    driver sweeper and reinstall latest whql, also maybe try without the 430 :)

5. doh_nut

doh_nut Member

GPU:
    2 x GA GTX460 OC SLI
    Cheers mate, i will give it a shot...

I haven't actually tried 260.99 yet, but i will try it and see... The 430 is only for PhysX so it should be OK if that goes,

6. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    ya im having these similar issues and apparently i am told that my cpu is bottlenecking me. Though the stuttering has decreased in the newer drivers. Im suspecting its nvidias fault. Just let the fermi drivers mature

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No use mate they are same as all 260.xx try 258.96 it should be fine.

8. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Mafia 2 stutters a lot with 258.96, 260.63 fixed all of that in my case and many others. I believe thats the first driver to actually support the 460 right?

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    258.96 was the first to support the 460....

10. doh_nut

doh_nut Member

GPU:
    2 x GA GTX460 OC SLI
    Thanks all...

I have been using the 258.96 since i got the card and have had a lot of stuttering problems, across all games (but mostly mafia II as i have been enjoying that one)... I haven't had a chance yet to try 260.xx drivers but will hopefully do so this evening and will see how i go... I hope they work :p

Cheers

11. d3urug

d3urug Member

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB
    I have a similar issue.

I just upgraded from an 8800GT (which runs almost all games just fine) to a GTX460 1GB and performance is surprisingly the same in most games if not even WORSE! How is this possible!!?? The fps is sometimes just barely higher and even though it may be a playable framerate it also keeps chopping every few seconds.

I doubt my CPU is bottlenecking it cause a have a quad core Q6600 (or is that even not good enough now?). Also I think my PSU is more than enough...a thermaltake tough power 750W. I'm also using the latest 260.99 drivers.

Could it really be a faulty card or is it something else?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Try turning the power management in the control panel from "Adaptive" to "Max Performance".

13. d3urug

d3urug Member

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB
    I already have it on the highest...

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Do you have the Stereoscopic 3D drivers installed? If so get rid of them.

15. Zen0

Zen0 Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    nvm.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

16. sw1000xg

sw1000xg Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    I have always said it format you're hard drive Windows does not like swapping hardware and I really don't care what anyone says I have seen it for the past ten years of computing Windows hates hardware changes. Format and everything should be fine...

17. d3urug

d3urug Member

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB
    hmmm....I actually thought of doing that.

My computer needs a format anyway. I'll report back when I get the chance :)

18. Coenen1002

Coenen1002 New Member

GPU:
    Point of View GTX 460
    I have the same problem... much lag in certain games... the strang thing is that when i play metro 2033 it doenst have that problem.... Is there a solution allready it is starting to piss me off

19. FlinchingNinja

FlinchingNinja Member Guru

GPU:
    460 HAWK, 88GTS 4 Physics
    I went from 8800GTS 512MB SLI to a 460 1GB and saw a big improvement. Have also kept a 8800 in for physics and to have a triple monitor set up.

@D3urug- Your CPU at stock will bottleneck that card.

@Coenen1002- Have you OCed that Q9300 if not have a play, that mobo is annoying as hell to get a stable OC on but you can get good results.

What version of windows you guys using? I have windows 7 running modded Quadro 265.90 drivers these work really well.

I have also OCed my card to 900/1800/2008 so this probably counts for a bit. My system is very stable other then an issue with Assassins Creed 2 causing the DWM process to bork. Although this could be a symptom from somewhere else. (Ubisoft have total crap anti piracy measures).

The Quadro drivers also seem to be better cause they load less junk.

20. sarit3D

sarit3D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460

I have a Gigabyte GTX460 1G. I did not overclock the card, have a quad core 2.8Ghz Intel i5 CPU and 8G ram running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, 650W power supply with 25A on 12V rail. The graphics card isn't working properly with the 260.99 drivers. Period.

See my related post: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3830320#post3830320