Nvidia Quadro Driver 265.90 WHQL

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by stasio, Dec 1, 2010.

1. tomgreen321

tomgreen321 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD6870
    It's possible, but it seems odd benchmarks like 3DMark and Heaven can use 99% every time. Too me that say they allowed that so their cards could stand against AMDs in reviews. Seems off Reviewers never complained either.

2. Jasonnov118

Jasonnov118 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 1GB Hawk Talon
    Do those benchmarks only capture high and average framerates? And not low ones? That seems to be the problem. Good frame rates with some low spikes every once in a while to really deter user end performance.

This is all just really frustrating. Especially not knowing if it will ever work as it should. Guess I learned the hard way. Should have done more research than some newegg reviews.

3. D3VIOUS

D3VIOUS Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560Ti SLI
    hello guys i need the moded inf that work with 265.90 english version not the int with the cards GTX470/570

thanks in advance

4. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200

Alright try this and report back. Load BC2 in any single player level and do not even touch the mouse while it is loading, under DX11 at any setting w/o AA, and note your max. FPS. ALT-TAB out of it into task manager, find the BC2 process, right click on it, set affinity, and uncheck the last CPU, should be CPU2 with triple cores, go back into the game and wait like 10-20 sec for everything to load and note your new FPS.

Report back with the FPS before and after unchecking the last CPU

5. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
  6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    "Normally" the actual Nvidia cards have better min fps than their ATI counterparts. The problem is that the card itself needs a very strong CPU to deliver this in every game and benchmark.
    I'd say your problem would be gone if you had a Q9550 at the speed of your current CPU or even better an i5/i7. Two cores are a real bottleneck for a Fermi card.

7. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I find it hard to believe that a 460 will require a quadcore processor. Its a midrange GPU, so it should work fine with a midrange CPU. No solid source for this though, just my opinion.

8. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes, maybe it only requires a midrange CPU. High end would be 6 cores, right? Then there's CPUs with 8 threads, then 4 cores, 3 cores, after a while you get to two cores. There's nothing lower than a 2-core at the moment. How would that be a midrange CPU when compared to other, current CPUs? ;)
    Many games this year showed improved performance with more cores and these newer cards seem to have been developed with modern CPUs in mind.

9. Jasonnov118

Jasonnov118 Member

GPU:
    Most games do not even take advantage of all 4 cores right? Pretty much the only thing I'd be upgrading for is for the new architecture. That'd be totally lame if I had to upgrade my mobo and CPU to take advantage of a mid range GPU. So after the sandy bridges come out, the 580 wont work with those? Its just bad all around for consumers. Nvidia needs a little foresight in order to prevent compatibility issues.

10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Most if not all games of the past year use at least 3 cores, some games even take advantage of more than 4 cores / threads.
    You don't need to upgrade for anything but then you also shouldn't complain about something not working right.

11. Scalarscience

Scalarscience Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX580 Classifie
    First a 460 is midrange for less than a year; compared to even my GTX285 (high end at the end of the Core2 era and just beyond) it's still going to require some cpu to keep numbers up. Second, limiting it's gpu crunching power isn't necessarily equal to requiring less computing muscle to keep the card fed & avoid minimum framerates as certain things are cpu bound regardless of how many shaders you're throwing into the post render side of things.

Fwiw there is no 'midrange' dual core in Intel or AMD's lineup right now, and I think someone probably mentioned the triple core issues that AMD can have (the 3rd core kills performance due to cache contention) since slick3 gives the fix for that. There is *no* dual core post nehelem era cpu that is midrange, they're *all* going to be a cpu bottleneck and memory bottleneck (i3/i5 duals) on the desktop. Core2 era duals are going to be *especially* challenged since you're asking the game to share the second core, and again the cores share cache, plus compared to current gen architectures Core2 is memory bandwidth limited.

P55 is *ok* but even the next-gen replacement for P55 & Lynnfield (sandy bridge quads) is coming out of the gate not terribly strong (not as much change from p55 & current Lynnfield as you'd expect), as the top end quad isn't able to beat x58 even still (a 2 year old platform). That and something seems amiss with turbo in video & audio applications atm (not sure how gaming will fare but streaming data seems to take a hit with turbo enabled.)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  12. N3MBOT

N3MBOT Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280xoc
    i know this works good on NFS HP but never tried it on BC2 , im @ work now so i cant try it , can you cut the suspense and give away what the gains are?

AHHH wait , i was misreading your post , you are proposing that to prove how inferior dual cores are a triple core owner should deactivate one core...
    i was thinking the other way around , as consoles CPU´s have three cores maybe if i unticked one the game could have a better behaviour, hummmm...

now that i think about it i always notice that after a gaming session one of my cores was at 100% while all the other 3 were at 80%, i gotta try it and set the afinity to 3 cores and bench it.

13. Scalarscience

Scalarscience Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX580 Classifie
    I would assume he's talking about avoiding cache contention issues. With an affinity setting like that Core2 gets relegated to other tasks and Cores 1 & 0 keep the game in their shared cache. If the 3rd core works on the same task with the other two and the application isn't separating its inner workings into threads intelligently you can have the 3rd core stalling things while it either waits on accessing something already in cache for the other two or has to play catchup on its task once they're already done & ready to move on and forced to wait (spinlocking & cache contention.)

14. Jasonnov118

Jasonnov118 Member

GPU:
    I wouldnt complain if nvidia would put on the box, "Only works as advertised with new quad cores". Because its not just core 2 duos, its quad cores as well.

I wouldnt complain if my GPU would do what it says it will do. If my 260 would not work better than my 460, I'd say ok, its my CPU. The cpu issue is a symptom of the problem, not the cause. Fermi is the problem, and they were developing that architecture when core 2s were in their prime. No reason they couldnt dedicate some people to take advantage of core 2s instead of pumping out a new gpu line every 6 months.

Furthermore, people with i7/i5 are having troubles too. Not as many as core 2 users, but hey...the MAJORITY of gamers still use core 2 based systems.

The big attraction to PC gaming is being able to upgrade your system piece by piece. Now with this tech, we have to upgrade our core system. Please show a little empathy and stop telling me not to complain when we the consumers have every right to.

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Piece by piece is correct. But you should keep the rotation up, not exchange the same part over and over only to find out some day all the rest of your system is outdated.
    For your example it's not only the CPU but also the mainboard that doesn't allow full speed PCIe 2.0 16x (it just has a crappy bridge chip that doesn't give more bandwidth than PCIe 1.0).
    I really don't know why you'd expect a modern graphics card to work on a system that couldn't even bring a 280 to its full potential.

16. deathmight

deathmight New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX460 TOP 1GB
    Thanks for the tip but didn't work that good for me. I actually got about 5 fps more, but now all the movement was stuttering making it even worse. In the multiplayer the situation wasn't any better, and really didn't see any more FPS.

Also got a new really weird problem... every time I try to go to the BC2 multiplayer, it disconnects from my router. This happens at some other games too, sometimes when playing Crysis single player and also happened to me when I tried Halo Custom Edition multiplayer. Don't know where the problem is, but this didn't happen to me before I installed the graphics card.

And my FPS problem is just seriously annoying, because at some point the game may be running with average FPS of 20, but when I turn around and look to some other direction it may be running at 35 FPS at max settings. It's really hard to find good graphics settings that would make the game look good, but also make the FPS stable.

Lowering the resolution helps a bit, but I don't seriously want to play at 1200x720 resolution with a 23" monitor that can do 1920x1080. Especially when I know the graphics card can do better.

17. Jasonnov118

Jasonnov118 Member

GPU:
    I expect it to at least perform as well as my 260 did. I upgraded for a cooling solution and dx11 more than just pure performance. Now my performance is worse but my temps are great!

What do you mean my mainboard doesnt do 16x 2.0? It says in the manual it is.

Plus, this is the first piece I am upgrading. Built my PC 2 years ago.

18. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    The actual NB of your mainboard is a 6xx series with an add-on chip to provide PCIe 2.0. It does support it but the add-on chip eats up all the possible performance increase, the performance is the same as with a 650i board. Only 790i had full PCIe 2.0 support.

19. Jasonnov118

Jasonnov118 Member

GPU:
    So it supports it? Good enough for now I guess. Still, I shouldnt be getting worse performance from a better card playing left 4 dead 2 (a game that only runs 2 cores). I'm just going to try to keep my mouth shut until new drivers. After that a meltdown may occur. Not to you guys, on the Nvidia forum. :bang:

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm not getting a performance decrease, and i went from a 260-460, and have similar specs, other than the CPU.

Not sure about the Left4Dead games though, as i have V-Sync enabled, but it never dips below 60fps, even in splitscreen.

BFBC2 only has worse performance than the GTX260 if i compare DX9 to DX11, i did have worse performance in SFIV initially, but that seems to of been fixed.