Would this card be better then my 2 8800's?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hauler, Dec 23, 2010.

1. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    go away. :tool:

anyways, a 6870 or GTX 470 would probably be the lowest cards that would be worth an upgrade from your setup. 2 8800s in SLi is still very good!

2. amieneel

amieneel Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    2x8800=260, 260~5770, and a 5850 is arround 20-30% better than 5770 ..

3. Hauler

Hauler Member Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA GTX760 4GB FTW
    Cool. I think I will look into this. 169 is perfect. If its an upgrade on what I have then Im all for it. I don't do Crysis and stuff so its not that big of a deal under those circumstances.

For the kid going on about he is better then the planet because he has high end cards.... Sorry I don't live in my mother's basement and actually have to work/go to college and support myself and so spending 500 bucks on a card just isn't going to happen. Also if I were to have that kind of money (saved up which I do) then I use it to go to places like Vegas and Cabo and get down. I suggest doing this.

4. Hauler

Hauler Member Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA GTX760 4GB FTW
    Im going to be ordering this card from Newegg for 169 and if it does the trick it should be a massive upgrade to what I have. Saw people running Crysis at insane levels of detail so that bodes well for me. I do play GTA 4 and have Crysis, but mostly I play Eve Online and I might get Battlefield Bad Company 2 for PC. Thanks for the help as always and this really might be a steal. If I can I might even get two of them.

Im getting some money from relatives and what not and I think it will come to like 180 or so. So I can either have a free card or get another one free of charge. I really don't like SLI/Crossfire. This is because some games don't utilize that and sometimes it can be a bit unstable. We will see.

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    One thing to remember about the 460 or 470 is that they overclock 25%+ out of the box with ease.

Also, they don't take as much of a hit running AA and AF as the ATI cards.

When you take that into account, the 460 suddenly overtakes a 5850 and the 470 overtakes a 5870.

I would highly recommend a non-reference design because the weakness of these cards is the heat they produce. The reference cooler can be extremely loud, especially when you overclock.

The 5850 is still probably cheaper though.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  6. Hauler

Hauler Member Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA GTX760 4GB FTW
    I don't oc my cards as Im not that experienced in doing it. I like the 5870 as it seems the better bet at the moment. Cheap and it might allow me to get two. Also I don't like Portsmouth either, but we do have their old gaffer now.. Also we kinda bought a star from you who is lighting the world on fire right now. BALE BALE BALE!! :D

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    theres 2 460 msi hawks from a trusted seller 270 for the pair. I`ve dealt with cowie many times. he is honest
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=335074
    they will kill your cards and use less power and run cool

8. Hauler

Hauler Member Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA GTX760 4GB FTW
    Man a second earlier I would have, but I just bought the one on newegg for like 169. Sorry man. Maybe if I build a new system, but that probably won't be for a while.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    cancel the order. You have an nvidia sli board no crossfire for you

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  10. Hauler

Hauler Member Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA GTX760 4GB FTW
    Ya I just did. Something happened with my card. I can still use one card on this board if Im not mistaken right?

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    yes you can use 1 ati with your m/b. 2 460`s will kill 1 5850 though. 1 5850 will be a nice upgrade as well from 2 88gtx

12. Hauler

Hauler Member Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA GTX760 4GB FTW
    I saw your buddy's deal, but to be real Im going to Tampa for New year's and my budget really doesn't justify spending the extra 70 bucks on two cards. Need some spending/emergency fund in Tampa.

13. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Mate he was our old gaffer too. Bale - great, Redknap - pratt, he will screw you at some point, watch out!!

You should try a bit of overclocking, nowadays with the new nvidia cards and intel cpus a small to medium overclock is sooo easy, it's rude not to!

14. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Guest

GPU:
    12GB RX 6700XT
    Two 8800GTX in SLI are about the level of a GTX 285. A 5850 would be your best bet to be honest. A 470 is like a 5850... with better minimum FPS but that's really all there is.