October 25th last 400 series drivers C'mon Nvidia

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by RagDoll_Effect, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well I have no real issues with any of my games on my GTX 580 either now that I'm free of multi-GPU driver dependency. All I'd like to see in the next driver release is the ability to force anti-aliasing in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit otherwise the v263.09 drivers I'm using are absolutely spot on.

That said, it isn't really fair of NVIDIA to make owners of their older cards wait for official drivers. I really don't understand why they didn't release the v263.09 drivers for all their cards because I understand that they work fine with them using modded INFs.

2. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Guess nVidia wasn't looking to sell many cards this xmas. weeks ago would have been the time to correct these issues to boost sales during the busiest shopping time of the year.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

3. Ajoobajabajeeba

Ajoobajabajeeba Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 465
    I honestly haven't had any problems with my Palit 465 since launch, I am using the latest whqls and have no complaints at all.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've had no issues with the drivers at all, but Nvidia not having new drivers in time for the release of the 6950/6970 is a big loss for them, they will still probably beat the AMD cards, but they could of tried harder.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Their new cards are already out though so how exactly does a new driver release produce extra hardware sales? :3eyes:

6. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    The main issue being sli, otherwise for 1 card they're fine, however something the company push as a plus for they're cards isn't working, which imo is not so good... Don't get me wrong, nvidia are the best, just this hurdle to get over and then it should all be smooth fps from there :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  7. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Why purchase a new card when nVidia wont or cant support the older ones?

It boils down to user perception, and was a poor decision by nVidia.

Obviously this is just my opinion on this. I was going to purchase a new card but decided to wait, based on what I read here, several web sites and at nVidia.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Both sides are doing this unfortunately, all about the new customers, but if sales was based on bad driver Nvidia would do better than AMD this Christmas lol.

AMD's newest drivers state that the 6870/6850 cards aren't supported, while Nvidia release a driver for the GTX500 cards only.

While im not a fan of Unified drivers, if they are going to split them up, at least try and hide the fact one card is more important than the other.

9. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I totally agree. IMHO Unified drivers where a mistake as they usually fix something on one card, only to break something in one of the others.

I just have vivid memories of the FX fiasco, so I usually wait and read reviews before any new hardware purchase. I'm sure others do as well. I just don't like what I'm reading so kinda on the fence. If the 5xx series holds up to be a decent card it will be my next purchase.

This is not personal, just what I'm seeing.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If it wasn't for unified drivers though you'd be forced to update sooner rather than later as new games might not work with older drivers and neither AMD nor NVIDIA have the resources to commit to writing and testing separate drivers for each generation of their graphics cards. These unified drivers are the reason that HD 3870 and 8800 GTX owners can still play current games with their cards. Yes, many of us upgrade to new cards anyway but not everyone wants or needs the latest tech. Forcing your customers to upgrade to newer cards is one sure way of losing sales IMO.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Currently, aside from the GTX500 series....it looks like nVidia has dropped support for the GTX400 series cards. People aren't going to buy new cards, if they believe the card won't be supported beyond the purchase date. If I had known in July that nVidia was going to drop the ball on GTX400 series support...I'd have stuck with my GTX275 or waited for the HD6870.

12. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Nowhere did I see Nvidia say they are dropping 400 series support. They had a driver that was GTX 480 only too when it was new. You know people they could be taking a while on a driver beacause they ARE making it UNIFIED for all series. Be patient. Yes I know you want fixes etc, but its not magic.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    6870 cards are having the same issues with lack of support, you'd be better off with a 6950.

14. DeathEvil

DeathEvil Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 470 GTX@800/1600/1700
    just wanted to add I have not had any driver issues since I upgraded to 470gtx (nor did I had any with my ancient 7800gtx). Sure I would like to see AA for NFS, maybe some better optimization for Metro etc. but these are not bugs...

don't know where hate is coming from about 400-series, but I'm loving mine 470GTX - best $150 I ever spent:)

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's not hate for the 400 series....it's the lack of proper driver support for the 400 series.

16. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    of coarse they haven't dropped support for the GTX400, just because of one driver that supported 580 only because it was a new card ffs

17. hunuok

hunuok Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 Tri SLI
    I think it just comes down to companies supporting the "newer" product first.

I have had few/if any problems with drivers for 400 series, although improved drivers are always welcome!

Having owned both ATI and NVIDIA, ATI seem to be "worse" in driver support for "older" models. I think this is compounded by their monthly driver policy.

I would rather wait a few months for "solid" drivers, than have monthly drivers that are unstable or have poor performance that need to be fixed with hotfixes.

18. Fr0stx

Fr0stx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780SC@1100Mhz 1.087v
    100% agee, what's the point of releasing drivers monthly if you're not fixing stuff for good.

19. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Meh more optimizations is never enough!

20. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Manuel G over at the Nvidia Forums has now stated this:

"Looks like our software team needed a couple of extra days for final QA work so the driver will be available beginning of next week".

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187408&st=100

So then we know.. New drivers will not be released until early next week.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010