Phenom II now "supported" on M2N-SLI Deluxe

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ST19AG_WGreymon, Feb 4, 2009.

1. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Clear the CMOS. Disable virtualiztion, unless you're using softawre that needs it. Disable Cool n' Quiet if you don't care about your CPU downclocking when it's idle. Set the multiplier to 16x and the voltage to 1.3.

2. raemen

raemen Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 640mb
    oh, ok so that would give me 3.2ghz. well thank you very much for all your help.

3. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    No problem. :) Enjoy your stay at Guru3D.com.

4. josemair

josemair New Member

GPU:
    6600gt
    Question

Hi! i am new here jeje

I have an m2n sli deluxe board and wanted to know if i can put an athlon 955be of 125W without any trouble, i am not looking foward to overclook it but i want the quad core at 3.2 working fine. In asus homepage dosent say anything about it... (it suport de 955 of 95W)
    thank you everybody!! and cheers

5. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    It will work, update the BIOS to 5001, clear the CMOS, and set the multipliers and voltage manually.

6. vanpopel

vanpopel New Member

GPU:
    SLI 2x 8800GT
    Hi guys,

I'm running a X4 965 on my M2N-SLI Deluxe with BIOS 5001.

I've set manually multi and voltage in BIOS (x17 and 1.325v) but it's necessary to set it with K10STAT or PhenomMSRTweaker in Windows again. If I don't set it by software, multi is always x4.

It would be nice that The Wiz release new BIOS that fully supports x4 955 and x4 965.

On the other hand, there is no software to set multi and voltage under linux, so frequency is always 800MHz. :(

Congratulations to all people for this great thread.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  7. josemair

josemair New Member

GPU:
    6600gt
    clear the CMOS before or after putting de 955be??

Thanks!!!

8. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Disable Cool n' Quiet.

9. vanpopel

vanpopel New Member

GPU:
    SLI 2x 8800GT
    I have Cool n' Quiet disabled in BIOS (5001), and high performance in Windows control panel. I've x17 and 1.300v in BIOS too.

Without PhenomMSRTweaker or K10STAT multiplier is always x4 in Windows. On Linux there is no software to set multiplier, so it's x4 always.

I've cleared CMOS too (method 1 in first post).

There is someone with x4 965 or x4 955 at stock frequency (3.4 or 3.2) only setting in BIOS voltage and multi??? If any, what's my problem???

Thanks!!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  10. Corpse

Corpse New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
    @ vanpopel

I have a 965 and also have to use PhenomMSRTweaker to set the multiplier.
    But you can use Nvidia system tools to create a profile and set it to run on boot.

11. vanpopel

vanpopel New Member

GPU:
    SLI 2x 8800GT
    You can do that on boot with PhenomMSRTweaker too:

- Click "Service..." button on PhenomMSRTweaker window.
    - Click checkbox "Make custom P-state settings permanent".
    - Apply

You'll have the multiplier correctly on every boot.

My problem is on Linux. Thanks!!

12. vanpopel

vanpopel New Member

GPU:
    SLI 2x 8800GT
    I think new BIOS could fix multi issue on 955 and 965 processors. I've tried with 5001 and 1901AM3BETA2 without success.

It's interesting what linux module that manage energy processor states on linux (powernow-k8) shows in log (/var/log/sysog):

Code:
    [  179.936238] powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor processors (4 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
    [  179.936264] [Firmware Bug]: powernow-k8: No compatible ACPI _PSS objects found.
    [  179.936267] [Firmware Bug]: powernow-k8: [B]Try again with latest BIOS[/B].
    It detects model processor correctly but can't find correct ACPI values in BIOS.

Probably The Wiz knows how fix it. :D

13. AceTK

AceTK Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-560TI @ 1Ghz
    I think under linux you can use the cpuspeed 1.5 program to change the multiplier but you may have to run at constant volts in bios if cpu speed does not have voltage control.

If apt-get does not work just try here

http://www.carlthompson.net/Software/CPUSpeed/Download

14. vanpopel

vanpopel New Member

GPU:
    SLI 2x 8800GT
    Ooops... too late. I won't be able to test cpuspeed.

I've mounted my "old" x2 6400+ and sold mobo, cpu and ram.

Thanks for everything.

15. Fairlane64

Fairlane64 New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5750
    M2n-sli deluxe success

I just wanted to report a success with my M2N-SLI Deluxe board and an AMD Phenom II X3 740 (AM3 Socket) processor.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded and flashed my bios with the 5001 Bios (M2N-SLI-Deluxe-5001.zip) from here: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2N-SLI Deluxe/

After flashing my BIOS to version 5001, I reset the CMOS on the motherboard via jumper next to the battery. I then rebooted with my old Athlon 64 X2 processor still installed, and disabled AMD Live!, AMD Cool and Quiet, and Virtualization in the BIOS.

Once those settings were disabled, I replaced my old Athlon 64 X2 processor with a new AMD Phenom II X3 740 processor purchased from Newegg for $68 on their Black Friday sale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...699&cm_re=phenom_ii_x3-_-19-103-699-_-Product

Once I booted back up, I went into the BIOS and set my memory voltage to 2.1V, memory speed to DDR800 (I have 500Mhz @ 2.1V rated G.Skill RAM), DDR to Ganged mode, CPU Multiplier to X13, FSB to 250Mhz, HT to X5, and left all other voltages, etc set to Auto.

Rebooted again, ran 4 or 5 hours of Memtest, 4 or 5 hours of Prime 95, and a couple hours of misc games (COD Modern Warfare2 & World at War, Crysis, COH Opposing Fronts, etc) and it's been rock solid.

Here's the CPUz validation link for my current setup (3.25Ghz, stock voltage, temps running around 38C idle / 43C load on a cheap aftermarket heatsink with 120mm fan): http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1511830
    [​IMG]

Everything is working fine (in both Windows XP and Ubuntu Ver. 10.10), I have the correct CPU multiplier without any nTune tricks, Linux tricks, etc. As long as you clear CMOS and make sure and disable all of the AMD Live!, AMD Cool and Quiet, and Virtualization stuff, it seems to be a great upgrade for this older motherboard. Doing this processor upgrade and replacing my old GeForce 8800GT video card with a new ATI Radeon HD 5750 video card has REALLY breathed new life into this old dog for less than $175 (Thanks Newegg for the Black Friday specials)!

Hope this helps somebody out there thinking about doing the same upgrades! :)

16. nchw68

nchw68 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 465 in 2 way SLI
    I too have recently installed a Phenom II x3 740 BE into this board. Bought it a couple of days before Black Friday so I paid $88 instead of $68 for it from Newegg. I'm using bios 5001 and let AI Overclock take it 10% over which resulted in 3.4Ghz according to CPU-Z and XP Pro. C & Q, C1E both disabled. Everything else auto.

Got 4 gigs of 1066 ram coming any day now.

Ran Prime95 for about 4hrs while I dozed off on the couch. No errors. HW Monitor and Core Temp both showed a max of 39-40C for the individual cores under load. Just using the stock cooler with Ceramique (from Arctic Silver). I'm sure the size of the case is helping here - a huge blue gaming case from Systemax with six fans that looks more like a server in terms of styling.

CPU-Z val here: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1513636

Besides this CPU upgrade, I also moved up to 2 GTX 465s in SLI about a week ago which replaced 2 8800 GTXs in SLI. I think I'll finally remove the shrinkwrap from my roughly 1 yr old copy of Crysis. Hope the disc works. Way too late to take it back now.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  17. grolla

grolla Member

GPU:
    8800gt sli
    hi
    sorry for my bad english.

my PII 955 is stable to 18.5x at 1.56v at bios - 1.39v to cpu-z. NB voltage is default

i can't reach 4ghz in O.C please healp me

maybe the problem is the temperature?
    i use Zalman 9500 with MX-4 but in FULL reach over 60 Celsius degrese, and then B.s.o.d.
    crash.
    memory is setting at 800mhz 5-5-5-16

:bang:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  18. Mnstr

Mnstr New Member

GPU:
    Asus 460 gtx top
    Hey, great work with this thread.

got lil problem.
    so i bought Athlon 2x4 640 to my slideluxe. its working somehow, bios reporting multiplier 15x.

but windows is reporting 5x and 800mhz/cpu, according to nvidia control panel.
    i have disabled everything cooln quiet etc things from bios, using bios 5001.
    how to fix that?

is it just nvidias panel or wuts the problem, 3dmark06 gives 14k.

sorry bout engrish hopefully u guys/gals understand.

Mnstr

19. Fairlane64

Fairlane64 New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5750
    What multiplier is being reported when you use CPUz?

20. Fairlane64

Fairlane64 New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5750
    That's really hot! Do you have really good air flow through your case (120mm fans front and rear, etc)? Did you use some good thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 on your heatsink? What's the temp if you take the side of the case off and just use a regular house fan to blow air into your case directly at the CPU heatsink / fan? If that keeps it at a reasonable temp, you've got air flow problems inside your case. If it doesn't, make sure you have good paste on the heatsink and try lowering your CPU voltage a bit more.