5970 Flicker with dual monitors

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Habitats, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Habitats

Habitats Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    Just did a fresh win7x64 install, and using the 10.11 drivers, and cap4, I get heavy flickering in some apps. Heaven bench 2.1 and 3dmark 11 being two of them. Dx11/dx10.

However, forcing vsync on fixes this. Disabling the 2. monitor also fixes it (even with vsync off).

Whole system is running stock clocks.

Sorry if this has been issued before, but I didn't really know what do search for, and I'm in little hurry atm.

Anyway, any help is welcome.

Another explaination of the problem, posted on the (dead..) ATI boards:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. poedoom

poedoom Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire hd4870
    i have exactly the same issue with the 10.11 driver, its the driver ive stuck an older driver in and its fine

3. Habitats

Habitats Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    But it worked with the same driver just the other day... :/

Oh well, which driver did you roll back to? 10.10? Will this affect the app profiles?

4. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC

5. MajorFury

MajorFury Member

Did you check your monitors' refresh rate when running them together? They might be running at only 24hz and you'd need to increase it through the desktop settings.

6. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I was just thinkin that. esp man.

7. enthusiast17

enthusiast17 Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6870
    I don't know what to say here, never really had a dual GPU card.

8. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    then why did you post?

9. Habitats

Habitats Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    Forcing constant voltage seemed to give me better stability. Though, I just BSOD'd from watching a youtube vid. I was forcing 3d clocks when I tried.

Though the flickers still occurred in 3dmark and heaven. 2d seems to be gone.

And yes, monitors are running the correct hz, and the card itself is perfectly fine. I've had it for quite a while, and heaven+3dmark worked perfectly fine with this setup, and the same driver, before I upgraded my MB+CPU yesterday.

I posted a much more detailed post on the ATI boards about this issue earlier today. I'll embed it into the first post.

Added a picture showing my afterburner doing weird stuff. Explanation in the main post.

10. ÆtherStone

ÆtherStone Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    Do you know the BSOD code, probably with my luck the Generic Default Driver error code.

11. Habitats

Habitats Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    Nope, but you can download the minidump here: http://files.habitats.no/files/120910-14991-01.dmp

I've forgotten how to deal with those... Never had much luck with them anyway :(

OH and btw. I've turned on the "unofficial clocking"-thing in .cfg. It gave me a more responsive afterburner, but it's still weird (not always doing what I tell it, and suddenly changing clocks).

I've also uninstalled CCC. Those who made that needs to get fired.

12. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    ok so we have established forcing constant voltage yields better instability. Ok.. it looks like your gpu is throttling at inappropriate times most likely due to the drivers sucking. I am going to say that the only way for your system to work properly is to force constant clocks AND voltage or mod your bios for a higher 2d clock and 2d volts with rbe.

What also maybe happening is 10.11 is turning off crossfire. I'd try twl drivers when he comes out with a 10.11 driver.

13. Habitats

Habitats Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    Yeah that sounds just about right.

I made a new thread regarding afterburner. Not sure if it's driver or afterburner related - but I thought I'd give it a shot.

I rather not mess with the BIOS, as with my luck I'll prolly brick it. And that I honestly can't afford :p

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  14. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    what you describe in the other forum section sounds like a ulps issue where one gpu throttles causing issues.

15. Habitats

Habitats Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    Hmm ok. I'm not familiar with "ulps". Could you elaborate?

Is it driver related?