Cayman XT and PRO are Radeon HD 6970 and HD 6950

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Xzibit, Oct 19, 2010.

1. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    if youve got the pic pm me, what im saying is why the hell would amd deliver a slow card for review? thats just bloody stupid

2. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Something is wrong in your calcul, in average a GTX580 is 15-20% faster of the 480 who is itself 15% faster of the 5870 .... let's appart the 570 who is 2% faster of the GTX480 ... so if the 6970 is 30% faster of the 5870 you fall just under the 580 at least ... but with your -20% this mean they just drop under the 480 ... huuum is really AMD have fail to deliver a gpu who can't deal with the 480 ?

Is your friend have play with the "little thing" aside the crossfire connector ? how the DrMos was configured in CCC for Power usage ? Full speed or low TDP saving ?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  3. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    just spotted that

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

yea i find it odd too, but probably because its a ES sample and clocks aren't final on that one..

5. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    nah Im thinking that those cards were final cards, theres no way amd would send out ES cards for review as it would be a total waste of time and money for reviewers, anyone willing to send me pics of these supposed benches please?

6. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    They could be the cards pre-delay. That were delayed when AMD notices how much they sucked compared to the 580. So they delayed it to bump up cores or maybe unlock more shaders?

That is clutching straws, obvious this card is not going to be better than the 580 as every single rumour has been saying so far. How many cards have been slated so much for performance before release?

7. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Cayman PRO / 6950:

22 clusters * 16 SIMD * VLiW4 = 1408 SPs

Forgive me guys i did a mistake in the calculation, it's 1408 not 1480.

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    well maybe not to all, idk but its definitely a engineering sample, you saw the pic ^^:nerd:

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    20% slower based on what though, one game, or benchmark, i would expect it to be a good bit slower in Vantage, and Metro2033 too.

Another thing, most people seem to be under the impression the 5970 is faster than the GTX580, its the most powerful card out, but gaming wise its not the fastest, even the Guru3D review shows the 580 is actually faster, sure it is only 3% but faster none the less.

Even if it is 20% slower, i don't get why people are disappointed, were people really expecting it to be faster and cheaper than a 580, fairytale stuff that, if only, as it would drive down prices everywhere.

If this turns out like people are saying then there will be a card that sits inbetween the 570-580 price wise and performance wise, and consume less power than both, and the 6850 should be even better value than the 570.

Think too many people want AMD to be like Nvidia, and just throw out a big power hungry card so it can top the charts, i personally don't, as.

1. AMD can't afford to thow money away like Nvidia do, so they need to maximise profits per card, meaning higher prices.
    2. We already have Nvidia doing that, do we really want both of them doing the same thing, so we end up with near identical cards, but with a different sticker on it.

AMD/ATI cards efficiency is second to none, would ATI/AMD fan's really want to give up lower prices and better efficiency just to get one up on Nvidia??

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I do not have the slighest idea where you came up with this answer ????? Eveybody that received their cards (Reviewers and Extreme Overclockers) have the final working cards with final Bios NOT betas , the same that its already shipping to e-tailers and re-tailers. There has never been a low-speed 6970xt and a fast 6970xt :no:
    Im deep in the industry and the Reviewers and Guys that got the cards for Reviews and testing and breaking World Records under Liquid Nitrogen are very dissapointed in the numbers :( , even overclocked , volt moded to hell and back it will never catch up with the 580GTX that its the thruth and have been done , the 6970XT volt mods are already floating around :p , well this will be my last words in here , the HD6970-XT will be up and against the 570GTX , the trade blows in the benchmarks. HD5970 will remain the fastest card on the planet. Wait a few days and you will see for yourselfs , most of you know my background in the industry and for that i cannot say more , AMD wants tight lips because 6970XT will be slower than 580GTX thats all.

Chispy Out.

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Good to hear.

And I would recommend everyone to listen when Chispy has something to say :)

12. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Well, if what u say is true then i'm really disappointed. What have AMD been doing all this time? No need to upgrade then if u have a 5870 overclocked.

13. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB

http://legitreviews.com/news/9486/

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 595 Dual-GPU

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    dont be so sure :grin:
    maybe those got the final one idk, but this one is a ES slow-speed board.

look here
    [​IMG]
    hint: green sticker :)

no other info.

pls tiborrr don't kill me lol:nerd:

edit: Hilbert if its against any NDA @guru3d, just remove the image or my post

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I will believe that when i see it.

While we all know AbjectBlitz would love to see two GF110 cores stick their fingers up to the 300w limit, we know it would be bad for Nvidia to be the first to do this, the GTX560 should be a better indicator of what the next dual GPU Nvidia card will be like.

16. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    27cm long?
    so HD6990 will be like half a meter lol

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    It's plausible this photo is real, but it's a nice sample ( not tested, cause the PCB haven't be cutted on the photo's and you see the attach point between each PCB ( it remain as they are when they go out of the machine ) , and there's no phase connectors and 6-8 pin connectors installed ) ..

It's just the 14th non working sample they show us since the GTX480 is out.

Ofc i don't say they will never be a version based on GF110 or GF114 ...

[​IMG]

18. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    My only guess is that with the 6990 coming it there was just no reason for AMD to have a beefy 6970. What would be the point having two cards in the lead?

Instead they positioned the 6970 in-between the 570 and 580 on a power efficient level with a good price for the masses. And the 6990 will be the card geared for enthusiasts using two low power 6970 cores.

I cant think of any other logical reason for releasing a weak card at this point.

Oh and that GTX595 :D *fap*fap*fap*

19. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Right? It's going to BE NUTS, I can't wait to see the Benchmarks with Metro 2033 on High settings, never dipping below 60FPS. :p

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    My name is AgentBlitz, and im a dualgpuaholic lol

I do agree though, AMD either couldn't, or choose not to try and beat the GTX580, as it would no doubt jeopardise the 6990.

Either people have short memories, or are new to PC gaming, but normally, ATI/AMD don't have the fastest card, the 5870 only won by default.