GTX 480 Microstuttering in Grid with 110+ FPS

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by xinhang, Nov 26, 2010.

1. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    Absolutely ROTFLMBO!!! :grin: You really should stop talking in this thread brother because every time you open your mouth you look a bit stupider than you did the last time.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

3DOverrider forces 3buffer on directX games, and it works. Been working for years
    3buffer it's useful with vsync so vsync don't cut yout fps in half when jumps

http://www.gamecritics.com/triple-buffering-improve-your-pc-gaming-performance-for-free

Just a source , of hundreds of them that agree

3. GamingTillDie

GamingTillDie Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC
    BigRob, calm down please. lets:cheers: and not:vader:

:)

4. ibitato

ibitato Guest

say, who ??

C'mon

5. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    Your right, my point has been made so no use in going into this any more than I already have. :)

6. GamingTillDie

GamingTillDie Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC
    Yes, with V-Sync on you use Tripple-Buffering. With V-Sync off dont use it. Its so simple.

7. ibitato

ibitato Guest

It is, but ppl fail in the manners, not in the content.
    Look at my post, that's all it took to clarify things.........
    Everything else, it's an unwanted extra

(edit, lol, i wasn't ab you, sorry , but still apllies for all of us

8. GamingTillDie

GamingTillDie Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC
    OK, i go drinking now its Friday so Peace to you all and be friendly.:kiss::givebeer::cheers:

9. ibitato

ibitato Guest

^^ Have fun, I am still at the office, and after that , packing since Im moving to a new house , no gaming for me this weekend :(
    (or anythibng else but sex)

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    so wait, you post those links all you want, read a book of triple buffer for all i care,.. i know what i saw and i wasn't the only one..this topic was mentioned few times in various drivers..

and no you dont lose any perf.., although there could be a case where it has a negative impact - only this part is true, not always,..
    TF2 doesnt like it, wile L4d2 does.. its trial and error.

i've played and tested allot of games with it on/off same goes for threaded optimization on/off and i know what i saw. It can make a difference when enabled if you dont use vsnyc and i always talked about nvcpl triple buffer option not d3d tripe buffer in RT.

right back at ya.

anyway pointless to argue with such trolls:biggun:..

live in your fantasy world and believe that myth and play without it, lol i will with my settings and have even better experience.

11. xinhang

xinhang Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX480 SSC
    I'm not sure if this microstuttering is a Nvidia specific issue. I tried Grid on my PC with 4870x2 and the one with 5870 and they seem to work fine without the microstuttering. I really want to get it fixed because this is my main PC.

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    in nvcpl - Grid profile

force 16Anisotorpic filtering - for a little better IQ
    force threaded optimization - on
    force triple buffer -on

might wanna enhance antialiasing too- use same enhancement as ingame aa, for example 16xcsaa

and what about sound are you using Hardware ingame? and did you patch it or are you ruining it trough steam, if so you might wanna disable ingame chat overlay to see if it eliminates it..

btw i tested with those settings above in mp track Le mass series and it ran without a hitch using 263.00 driver, although this driver has the same micro freeze issue in Dirt2 as any 260+,.. 258 or 259 isn't affected.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  13. Celeras

Celeras Banned

GPU:
    eVGA GTX780 ACX SC
    I imagine its been mentioned somewhere in these 3 pages, but you can't microstutter on a single GPU. Pick a better term to describe your issue.

14. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    lol, yes you can, microstutter is just fluctuating millisecond delays between frames and it happens in any circrumstance where a card is running at low frame rates or at variable frame rates.

Eg. a game running at 60 frames constant will have a 16.6..... ms delay between frames, if the load increases for a tiny bit even if the frame rate is still 60 it can cause a delay between frames causing microskipping. It is just more pronounced on dual cards because they have additional frame delay dual to the nature of alternate frame rendering, people have claimed to alleviate it by forcing SLIAA which causes the cards to sync better when applying AA to the same scene.

15. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    Yes it does. Dirt 2 (for example) would lock to 30 fps when 60 fps can't be sustained with triple buffering disabled. But magically when it's enabled, it will go to 58, 55, sometimes 52 fps, etc. without any lock to half my refresh rate.

It's true for absolutely ALL games I play.

You can now say all DX games out there use triple buffering by default if you want or that Vsync has no effect.:nerd:

You are wrong, just admit it.

16. xinhang

xinhang Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX480 SSC
    I tried all the setting suggested, but the microstuttering still exist. I think i read some where inefficient power supply can cause microstuttering. Is that true? I'm desperate enough to buy a completely new PSU for this.

My psu each rail supply 18A would that be enough for GTX 480?

17. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I have no idea buy my Antec PSU killed my gtx280, I will never buy an antec PSU again. It's worth looking into. I investigated every other component BUT the PSU as it was brand new and Antec were supposed to be a good brand, I didn't think it could possibly be the PSU....it was.

See if you can borrow someones to try first, no sense in wasting $100+ if that isn't the problem

18. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i just looked up your power supply. 18A for each rail seems kinda wrong for an 850w that has 2x 6pin and 2x 8pins. that and 18A is not enough for your card if you by some chance have the card running off one rail.

im guessing in your psu, each pcie cable has 1x6pin and 1x8pin connectors on it?

if yes, plug in a 6pin from one cable, and an 8pin from another pcie cable (not the same cable).

this should distribute the load across both rails. see if that fixes things.

triple buffering should only activate when vsync is active, or when there is a framerate cap in the game. it shouldnt have any effect when vsync/framerate cap is disabled since triple buffering is a feature that is normally linked to vsync. most of the d3d games ive played only give you the option to turn on triple buffering if you have vsync enabled. with vsync disabled, the triple buffering option is normally turned off/greyed out.

edit - just tried dirt2 with triple buffering enabled/disabled with vsync disabled to see if there was any difference, and nope, nothing really. no visually notable differences. msi afterburner still shows the regular fluctuations.

on top of that, if you go to nvidia control panel and hover over 'triple buffering', it says 'typical usage scenarios - turning on this setting improves performance when Vertical sync is also turned on', so one would assume that triple buffering is locked to vsync.

i have tried d3doverrider so i dont know if it finds some other way to enable triple buffering without vsync by introducing its own framerate cap, but one would assume it is also locked to vsync.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  19. xinhang

xinhang Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX480 SSC
    @everyone: thank you guys so much! Never dealt with a more friendlier group of people.

I will try different configuration of my rails to see if it helps. If only I can find se information on how the cables are distributed amongst the 4 rails, but most review just says 4 12v rail.

I also beginning to think it is more of a software problem rather than hardware. Need for speed hot pursuit runs flawlessly. It is a shame because grid is an amazing game.

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    have you tried deleting both cfg files located in

C:\Users\username\Documents\Codemasters\GRID\hardwaresettings

and also reinstall OpenALwEAX its from Grid; located in c:\programfiles(x86)\Openal, it might help too..

and last option you can try 258.96dirver if you haven't already, maybe its something with 260+ and 480gtx..

edit: just remembered one more thing, in nvcpl Grid profile did you set power management mode to Prefer maximum performance?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010