Unreal Engine 3 Overview

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by isidore, Nov 24, 2010.

1. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    I played that tech-demo, same map but different weather. It's an improvement, but still everything looks pretty plastic and fake.

3. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Eh.... no it doesn't (well ok, some of the plant and tree leaves have wacky specular maps). o_O

My only problem with their map is that it runs at 10 fps. Almost none of those effects are usable in any game. Their realtime shadows alone destroy most computers.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.udk.com/news-beta-nov2010.html

UDK November with said map. :)
    (Interesting info and yeah the engine is powerful and quite complex but there isn't much taking full advantage of it and probably won't be before UE4 takes over for the next-gen console systems which is a main focus of it apparently.)

Shame a lot of titles look so similar in terms of lighting and shader works, poor texture streaming also plague certain titles and other quirks though the engine is very popular and has a lot of other strengths.

5. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    meh, games wont look good again on pc until next gen consoles.

but then again... next gen consoles might be 6xxx series or 480 level but heavily optimized. if xbox360 is 3 core im sure the 720 will be 6 core or 8 core also. and games will be 1080p mostly.

so basically buy a next gen console and attach a mouse and keyboard

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    And pay to use their online service? I think not.

7. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    looks good, but can i test this demo too? or is that UDK only a development tool?

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You can download the UDK and load the map. Here's some shots of the foliage map:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About the day&night cycle version of this map (with weather effects; the map in the video)... It runs pretty poorly even at 720p.

9. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Looks ok, Turok from 2008 looked like this level or so. It's not that impressive, to be honest. It would've been a few years ago, but now it's just kinda "expected", you know?

10. yoyo1

yoyo1 Member

11. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Isn't Bulletstorm using this upgraded version of UE3?

12. Wanny

Wanny Guest

IMHO Unreal engine is the engine that gives the most highest performance/visual ratio. But yea, it's not the prettiest.

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ok thanks, i'll give it a try..

true i feel the same way.. at first i was very excited about this new engine but now its almost everywhere and its getting kinda annoying..

yep..

14. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    +1
    :)

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    so i tried the demo - Day and night cycle

in editor it ran at 8-15fps in separate window it was a bit better but still low.. avg 25fps up to 35fps and as low as 12fps xD

it looked ok, but with default upscaling it kinda sucked lol

16. SiriusTexra

SiriusTexra Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GT 512MB
    You can't be serious.

Please get new eyes. Turok looked absolutely horrendous. Terrible art, terrible atmosphere, full stop.

This engine as it currently stands is the best one on the planet. Having used alot, it's just the fastest, easiest, and gives you the best results quickly. Great support too, and the editor itself is the best of them all. Pretty soon it's going to have DX11 support. When that happens, you can expect all the normal map/offset material setups go kaboom with ****ing model detail.

Also, the texture detail in this demo is amazing.

Nothing looks better, for the performance it gives out. Fact.

17. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Lol, wow. I agree it's a great engine, and no, my eyes do not need to be checked. It does give a great visual / performance ratio, I agree with that. I hear the Editor is actually a bitch though, at least most mod teams & indie teams complain it uses an out-dated format and crashes easily.

Tacked on DX11 support? Listen, unless it's there from the start, it won't be true DX11. Not impressed.

You think this is amazing man...? Seriously? Bad Company 2 had this on the first level of SP, and I thought it was just "to be expected" of any recent game.

18. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    You can open console and type "setres 1920x1200" for example to change the resolution to 1920x1200. Console can be opened with tab (and รถ on scandinavian keyboards :p)

So you have heard? Have you actually worked with it? By far the most buggiest editor I have used is the Crysis Sandbox editor. It likes to corrupt your terrain and crash randomly. At least UDK doesn't crash randomly on my end.
    Also I don't get what you mean with the out-dated format? Format of what? What?

19. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    as far as i remember, yeah, it looks similar..but i could remember wrong..it's been a while since i played UT3..

20. yoyo1

yoyo1 Member

u should load it up again........