Its the little things.....

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Li4m79, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Sorry guys, not a midget throwing thread.

But what are the little things in games you appreciate. I mean you can have the biggest, best graphics, amazing sound tracks etc, but its always a few of the little added touches that seem to stand out a bit.

For example, i like that in some games the music will take on a flange effect (hehehe i said flange) or go quieter if you are to do a jump (ala most snowboarding games) and then come back in full blast when you land.

I also like the fact that in NFSHP, in races where you have a TURBO, it really sounds like a turbo and the sound alone gives you a real sense of going insanely fast.

you get the drift....(lol@unintended poor racing pun)

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    A decent looking character self shadow. I'll always remember how blown away I was when playing Crysis and no matter where I was I could visibly see my shadow reacting in real time. I'd stand high up on a hill or on a pipe and my shadow would appear way down on the floor in a realistic manner. May be a fairly simple aspect but it had a huge impression on me. :banana:

3. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The sound of footsteps crunching in the snow in Bad Company 2...

The shadows moving across rocks in the morning in the Stalker games...

The crabs in the water and on the beach in Crysis...

Random comments and conversations by NPCs in GTA4. I played that game for dozens of hours and never heard the same one twice.

Tons of games have made me say "I can't believe they thought of that!" Great thread.:)

4. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

The first time I saw a rocket light up a dark hall as it whizzed down the corridors. : )

I love lighting. Anything lighting catches my attention. Especially sun coming in through windows.

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Penumbra. They put so much detail into every corner of the maps, it's amazing.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I loved Doom 3, just the atmosphere Doom 3 created.

7. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I pay attention to atmosphere in games. If you close your eyes for a moment and think you're in there its done perfectly.

Also, interacting with little things around you is somewhat important to me. Searching rooms for stuff, destroying crates and cracking security measures has always been great fun and draws you into a game some more. (Halflife or No One Lives Forever2 for example)

Shame they dont do that anymore. If you walk across useful things you just pick em up automaticly. If something is very important its glowing / flashing right in your face.
    As a result i just pass by all the funky little details in todays games because they're just dead 3dmodels / eyecandy. Best example would be Batman:AA. Corridors and rooms are full of cubboards, crates and computers but you cant use anything in there.

Shame really.

8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Oh yeah man, I miss the days of secret areas where they had like hidden ammo stashes, or access to weapons you'd normally get later, earlier. Game have lost that sense of adventure. It's just PROGRESS TO THE NEXT PLACE.

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    The annoucer in Unreal Tournament. That **** made you feel like such a badass. I want another Unreal game :(

10. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Headshot ~ DOUBLE KILL, TRIPLE KILL, GODLIKE ~

It fit way better playing Counter-Strike.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i love the funny stuff in games. easter eggs. like in zelda oot you hit chickens with your sword, and you would get attacked by multple angry chicken.

12. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, but see, most gamers these days are so lazy they don't care for that, so 99% of gamers miss awesome stuff like that.

Also, animations used to be awesome, anyone remember Half-life? You had bugs that'd nip at you and bite your finger, you'd feed that gun it's ammo through the mouth, you could shoot out flies and have them fly back.

Prey reminded me of this recently with it's highly animated weapons. I miss that in games.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yeah i know. people just want to rush the game, without actually paying any attention whats going on around them. its a sad thing really.
    lets say a guy finishes a game in 5 hours. for me it will take about 9 hours.
    its actually the reason why i enjoy games more than other people i think.

14. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    That one game, recently, Singularity, I am sure alot of people just ran through it, I took time to find notes, explore possibly hidden paths, read everything, watch stuff, ect. Games like that have a touch of class.

15. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Atmospheric sound that envelopes you and makes you feel like you're there. The graphics don't even have to be top notch, but this one effect goes so far.

16. CrackWhiz

CrackWhiz Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4890 Dual Fan Editio
    Ditto...

I also love the little things that make you draw into the atmosphere that bit more...

The sound of your own breathing in F.E.A.R immediately comes into mind.

17. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Another like of mine, all of the sonic games, the wee animations when you tep close to the edge of a ledge.... Sonic2 especially, when you had the 3D moments as sonic span/flipped going up springs, around cages or over fans....... loved that at the time!

18. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    I do not find this impressive, I think any game can do this if it is happy to take 5 years to run on a home PC.

19. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Decent multiplayer design with for example not too many keys used on the keyboard / not too many special mouse buttons. It's nowadays become something so little I have trouble finding it lol.

20. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    A great story mode like the one in no one lives forever, hitman 2 silent assasin, call of duty 1,2 and 4. Great music like in nfs6hp2/most wanted, nolf, hitman 2 sa and ofcourse great graphics like in the above mentioned games and crysis.