Sudden artifacting in every game I play

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by grub20, Nov 8, 2010.

1. grub20

grub20 Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    Ok, here are the results:

After 3 mins: http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/4436/63612001.jpg
    At 5 mins, 56 seconds: http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8828/74721013.jpg

The first one, it froze up only for a moment. Then it continued just fine. At 5:56, it froze for a long time, then went back to normal, then artifacted again at 5:59. At this point I got too worried to let it continue running. As you can see, both Everest and FurMark log GPU temps and it was high in both of them, even Everest which is supposed to be more accurate. After I stopped running Furmark (as I'm writing this post), I still got some artifacting but it wasn't serious, just 'blips' of it and they've mostly gone away now.

Based on these results, would you say the Power Supply is not giving the card enough power, or are certain functions on the card just straight up dying?

2. grub20

grub20 Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    Another update: Now, as I am browsing the internet, I get random occurrences of artifact lines / freezing. I can move the mouse just fine, but nothing on the screen responds. Then, it unfreezes and proceeds as normal.

edit: Also, does the temperature level in there suggest my case doesn't have adequate cooling? What conclusions should I draw from the temperature listing on FurMark?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  3. angmar

angmar Guest

What is your gpu tempature at when the artifacts start popping up maybe the card is clogged with dust and overheating...

4. lickisg

lickisg Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI gtx 460 1gb 800/1880
    Its most likely 2 things:
    1-You haven't taken a look or cleaned you gpu in while and its all covered in heat thus causing artifacting
    2-Signs of dead

Have you tried using the card on a different computer, and see if the same problems are present? If yes, the card its most likely damaged.
    Smells like oven time :)

5. grub20

grub20 Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    Update:

I refitted and dusted off the video card (although it didnt have much dust on it at all..not dirty at all) and the artifacting was less apparent during things like web browsing, but still exists and is still only minutes away from happening when I play a game. This time however, it artifacted, froze for about 15-20 seconds, and then went to a BSOD for ~1sec before the computer auto-rebooted.

So...PSU or video card?

By the way, I couldn't get the temp when the game artifacted, froze, then crashed and rebooted but when I restarted I immediately opened up the software I have and it said the temp was 57C.

6. Dingmatt

Dingmatt Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 470 GV-N470OC-13
    I'd say GPU as I've had this happen with a 8800GT, firstly it was misplaced textures then spaz lines.

Strange thing was that the temperatures were all within norms.

7. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Interesting. Yes after seeing these latest screens I'm going to say it's the GPU.

8. grub20

grub20 Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    Ok,

Definitely going for a new vid card then. That check is in the box.

My second question is, the guys over at TSF told me that my PSU is too weak. I have a Corsair 650TX power supply, a power supply that I thought was one of the best on the market until now. Is it enough for my system to handle?

This is what I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129065 (not the PSU...i was told it was junk)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136098

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134792

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130269

plus the 9800gt and corsair 650W PSU.

Also, is there any chance the problem is with my motherboard? I always hear of motherboard problems one week or one month out from the newegg reviews. I had a bad feeling it might be that. I just want to be sure that if I get a new vid card, this isn't going to happen all over again because my system is underperforming somewhere else.

Thanks so much again for the replies.

9. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    That 650W would power a GTX480 just fine if you slapped it into your system. The guys over at TSF don't know what they are talking about. Motherboard is just fine too.

If I were you I'd pick up a GTX 460 or Radeon HD6850, both would be perfect for your system.

10. Dingmatt

Dingmatt Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 470 GV-N470OC-13
    Yep, I agree your PSU's fine for all but the extreme SLI configs (i.e. 470 / 480's).

11. grub20

grub20 Member

GPU:
    9800GT
  12. grub20

grub20 Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    New update:

Tried using the 430W PSU in the same system. Same artifacting problems, so it wasn't my 650W corsair PSU causing the artifacting.

I'm having a new problem now. 9 out of 10 times I turn on the computer, it artifacts from the boot screen and doesn't even make it to the desktop, all I see is a black and white splotch with colored squares sitting there, then I get a 1-2sec BSOD and it restarts, and goes on and on and on like that until I force-power down the computer via tower button.

Before I go get a new video card, can I be sure, based on my tests its the gfx card and not the motherboard/RAM?

****, it's artifacting again as I write this.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If your monitor has squares or a grid type pattern all over it, then you prob have fried vram.

If it doesn't look like a checkerboard it cud be something else broken..

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  14. grub20

grub20 Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    I've managed to get an out-of-warranty replacement for my video card, it's all a waiting game now.

But while I'm waiting, and continuing to diagnose the problems, I've been noticing something that i normally ignored until now. Every so often, after a freeze, my computer will give me a notice that it detected that I plugged in headphones or some other audio device, and to confirm it. Since my sound is onboard my motherboard, wouldnt this point to a possible motherboard problem? I'll have a screenshot uploaded eventually, my comp is artifacting like crazy right now. I can barely type this. Screenshot here: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9021/audionb.jpg

15. grub20

grub20 Member

GPU:
    9800GT

16. heaven's_dragon

heaven's_dragon Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 460 1gb
    it's the vram,it is damage i had same problem with my old 9800GTX oven baked it like 5 times (but it is only temporarily solution) n got fed up with it n bought GTX 460 :p

17. NobleKnight51

NobleKnight51 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB PCI-E
    Yes, its your Video Card.

If your going to get a GTX460, you should get the 1GB version if you have a montior 19" or larger.

18. grub20

grub20 Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    Change of plans though.

I was originally going to go for a 460 if I had to buy a whole new video card. I just found out from the guys at EVGA that even though I'm out of the warranty period, I can still get a replacement. A brand new 9800GT. Only have to pay shipping. Since the main games I play are Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, I'm just going to stick with that.

I hope to god it's just the video card. My motherboard isn't very well rated on newegg. Only 69% say 4 or 5 stars, I only took it because it was part of a bundle.