ATI Radeon HD 6990 "Antilles" Gets Delayed to Q1 2011

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Xzibit, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    ATI, graphics business unit of Advanced Micro Devices, on Tuesday quietly announced that it would delay the roll-out of the company's next-generation flagship graphics product powered by two code-named Cayman chips. From the fourth quarter of this year, the new graphics board known as the Radeon HD 6990 or under code-name Antilles will be delayed to the first quarter of 2011.
    At the financial analyst day AMD's graphics business unit quietly revealed a new roadmap for the short-term future. Based on the new roadmap, the company's highest-performance dual-chip Radeon HD 6990 "Antilles" will only be released in Q1 2011, which is a delay by several weeks from earlier unveiled roadmaps that were published on the Internet. In addition, AMD intends to release its code-named Turks and Caicos chips in the first quarter of next year.
    The Radeon HD 6970 and 6950 based on code-named Cayman chip will be released this quarter, as planned.

[​IMG]

At present specifications of ATI Radeon HD 6900-serires graphics processors as well as boards on their base are unknown, as a result it is impossible to make any predictions about speed levels in games offered by Cayman or Antilles products.
    Considering the fact that Nvidia Corp. has just released its new flagship GeForce GTX 580, which offers up to 30% of performance increase over GeForce GTX 480 and generally offers a number of advantages compared to Radeon HD 5970, formally the highest-end consumer graphics card on the market, the delay of the Radeon HD 6990 is not a good news for AMD. The company's share on desktop discrete GPU market dropped from Q2 2010 to Q3 2010 slightly (from 44% to 41%, according to Mercury Research) after Nvidia released its GeForce GTX 460-series of graphics boards; the launch of a new flagship solution will impact sales of AMD's most lucrative high-end graphics boards and will also capture minds of high-performance graphics enthusiasts. The good news for the company is that its single-chip high-end offerings based on Cayman GPU are still on-track for the fourth quarter launch.
    It should be noted that technically AMD can still announce the Radeon HD 6990 "Antilles" in 2010 in order to distract attention from Nvidia's new offering, however, even the company itself understands that the novelty will only be available in 2011.

[​IMG]

Source

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Noooooo, this is bs.

Come on Nvidia give us a dual GPU card :(

Tempted to build a new rig and get 2 GTX580's as I cant be bothered waiting for Antilles any longer.

3. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    All will be cool, it will be released in january, after 6970 will drops in price
    :banana::banana::banana:

4. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    This "freshly revealed" roadmap is too similar to the one floating around interwebs for months. That's just another shopped rumor, imo. There's no such thing as "quietly announcing the delay" when no official announcements were ever made :p Anyway, if it's true, it adds more value to my investment in 5970)

5. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Manhattan/Vancouver, I've never heard those codenames, thought it was Evergreen and Northern Islands

6. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Look closer, slide with those is obviously badly shopped :nerd:

7. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ^ yeh but wouldn't u at least use the correct code names to make it plausible, oh and I meant NI not SI

8. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^ Must be really old one (pre-5800), then... There's even no real GPU serial numbers in the right column, just "second-gen DX11", lol :grin:

By the way, off news from financial analyst day, nothing about any delays.

9. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    no...some people...have already EngineerSamples of 6990...i dont think they are going to postpone it until q1 2011...i tell that's crap thread...sometime on falling december we will have antilles...cayman a month earlier...it;s pointless...on the early summer they both will produce 28nm...

10. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Who cares, 4 or 8 weeks, I want to see some tests, benchmarks, or the drivers which will support this uber-monster.

11. oMVo

oMVo Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6970
    the Manhattan and Vancouver series are mobile offerings of EG and NI.

12. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Here's the complete slide.

[​IMG]

13. EagleClaw

EagleClaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Vapor-X
    This is a good post from "Guild" over at SA

"a) AMD, pioneers of the 40nm process, having had 1 full year to fine tune their new arch, and having announced a Nov release in October, are suddenly doomed out of nowhere, and there is 8% yield and there wont be 6900 release till 2011 etc. etc. etc.

b) AMD are just at their usual secretive best laughing their asses off at the bizarre rumours...

Yeah, I will go for b)."

14. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ^ lil I choose b too

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Bah, so much for waiting for that. Good thing I'm not doing a lot of gaming right now. The ol' champion is barely hanging in there.

16. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    haha, I know the feeling. I stopped playing games for a while with my 280 because stuttering in FO3 and frame rate dips pissed me off.

17. kid-goku

kid-goku Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    More delays huh? Doesn't matter anyway since I'm not going to buy a new card (or gaming for that matter) until Q3 2011 :D

18. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ^ no gaming for that long, y dude?