GeForce GTX 580 SLI review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Dchalf10, Mostafa Hijazi

Guys, what are you crying about! Dont get me wrong no flame intended .. but the GTX480 (SLI) is one heck of a card.

Ofcourse its kinda hot and use's allot, but its a fine card til Keplar arrive's!.
    Just OC the thing and you'll be good for atleast another year.

Mine are on H20 and havent even try'd to OC them because frankly they are so fast ... Maybe when Crysis 2 comes out .. we'll see.

In the end, im not going to upgrade and wait this ''refresh'' out.

2. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    it's all good Fusion :thumbup:

But those extra FPS will surely come in handy will enabling everything in Crysis. Maybe I should get after market coolers and then severely OC the cards.

3. Andypandy1991

Andypandy1991 Master Guru

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    You strong fanboism amuses me!
    As others said,no company is better or worse!
    Just different times..

4. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    what i dont get is the 470 in sli in vantage get 24k but i get 28k with one 470

but any ways as most have said its a nice card nothing to go crazy over thow

5. Andypandy1991

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    maybe its extreme and u have performance?

6. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    His point being that a couple of Radeon 6870s in CFX seems a better proposition than a GTX 580 can hardly be called fanboyism.

There are compelling arguments for such a setup, such as price, performance and power draw.

Of course there are compelling arguments in favor of the 580 GTX as well, such as avoiding the hassles that inevitably arise from multi-GPU setups and CUDA + PhysX.

I'd agree that the 580 GTX is a much better card than the GTX 480, certainly the fastest single-GPU card on the market today, but what I took away from the review is actually how incredible the Radeon 6870 (CFX) is.

That's not really a glowing endorsement considering the review were about the GTX 580, though obviously in my case I don't value CUDA or PhysX very highly.

More interesting would perhaps the GTX 560 be, as the GTX 460 IMO represents the best card Nvidia has had on offer in a long time.

As for any comparisons to Cayman that's pretty pointless until we have actual reviews. Besides, it looks like it'll be late to the party anyway if rumors are to be believed.

TL; DR: Don't confuse a well-argued personal opinion with fanboyism. The latter is very rarely well-argued after all.

7. Andypandy1991

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY

Just check his other replies!
    I wouldnt say that for any user

8. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    *shrug* I don't really care.

Consider this friendly advice regarding the fact that spending your time pointing out what you see as blatant fanboyism brings as little, or possibly even less, to the discussion than any actual fanboyism does.

That's it for me on this particular topic.

9. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    more flame wars... will this ever end ? :p

10. Andypandy1991

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    If u put it like that then consider this as my apologize!
    U are right!
    Anyways i am waiting for the dual gpu nvidia will release in December!
    Thats what they at least say:p

11. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Guessing your OC might have something to do with it. I get 35K on the gpu score in SLI, 28K is pretty impressive friend.

12. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Single 580 is nice, price is a bit ouch tho.

Seeing nice drops on the 480 tho, coming down to what the 5870 was at launch.

13. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Great review. That looks like a fantastic card. :thumbup:

I am a bit puzzled by the new OCed versions of the 480 that are released lately, though. Is it because the manufacturers expect the 580 not to be available for a long time?

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    These cards are pretty bad overclockers ( simlar to HD6870 ).

I believe heavily OCed GTX480 could catch GTX580

15. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I am pleasantly impressed by the warhead score

16. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    I think I might just be crazy enough to sell my 480 at a good price and put up the difference for this card. But will wait few months to see how prices play out.

I'm a sucker for better performance and lower noise / heat.

17. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    Hilbert... as always, we can depened on you to give an honest, indepth review with no skewing results and let the cards fall as they may...

this has always been a constant and those of us that look for your reveiws appreciate the amount of work and time involved that you bring to us with your reviews.

A lot of games and reviews rely on shear speeds and numbers to make the reveiws from one brand to the next, or card etc.

many simulations and games now days are much faster that just shooters and maps, and use extremely fast movements that can seriously impact those numbers ( racing simulations games etc..

what Is extremley important for those users isnt that they can hit say 200-300 FPS, but what happens with the lows FPS when in a group or a lot of action together...

Id be curious to see reveiws that also show what the low FPS is in high detailed maps, or action...I think this will give a bit more of an in depth reveiw that truely shows the shear *grunt* of the card as well...

Again, thanx for the excellence brought with your reviews... and as a long time member herer and other places...I appreciate all that is done for us members by staff and owners... cheer*

18. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    The memory isn't downclocked at all, the default mem speed is 924 GDDR5 means that the speed is x4 to work out the effective speed.

924x4 = 3696mhz although they just say that it's 3700 for feng seu sake.

1000x4 = 4000 so it's a decent overclock.

Last gen with GDDR3 it was x2, now it's x4.

19. RSharpe

RSharpe Active Member

GPU:
    2 Palit GTX 580 3GB, SLI
    THis is clearly not a new generation, but a fix for the current generation.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont know I still see the amount of power needed and heat being produce to outrageous but it a step in the right direction from what the 470 and 480 are. Performance is nice but not for the price they want for it. I mean really 500$ + for video card only for another 500$+ video card to be released like year later. And people wonder why consoles tend to be lead development platform these days.

Still think 460 was best card performance for price they released , In a very long time.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010