AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol, wrong sex dude, at least I think so.
    Hmmm...

2. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    I'm still in disbelieve that a "copy and paste monkey working in a sawmills" like myself, is the first one to discover and fix the major causes of issues. TwL is quite busy in his real life and I was in eager to have and test a good driver. I just filled the vacuum.

3. Touche

Touche Member

GPU:
    ATI 4670 512MB
    Doesn't AI Advanced lower the image quality compared to Standard?

4. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    It's suppose to, personally I don't see difference, but the processing boost it give is awesome in BF:BC2, I move around like I've taken adrenaline pills. Those settings are my personal preference, you can change them at your will through.

5. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    hey Von Dach how does your driver compares against TwL's 4.24b in the performance department? I'm very tempted to install it but i wanna know which one has the best overall performance.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. OPmind

OPmind Member

GPU:
    HD4870 1024MB
    I did not use your modded drivers... however, I did the dummy blb file replacement trick and I can confirm it works somehow. I get exactly the same benchmark results in DX and OGL with A.I. set to advanced but not getting the image inconsistency-microflickering-stuttering I used to get before replacing the blb file.
    I mean the min-avg-max fps is pretty much comparable, but the fps drops are either less frequent (wouldn't make much sense, though) or simply not noticable(smoother). Before I could clearly tell, when the fps was jumping up and down. Now it's like A.I. Adv. performance with A.I. off quality. It's cool for me, as I had to turn A.I. off (before this) to avoid migraine attacks.
    Every little thing helps.
    Good find Von Dach, Thank You :)

7. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Official and TwL will have higher fps because they have CAP and more balanced settings. Depending the games you play, they will also have jerkiness, fps drops, flickering, crash to desktop (CTD), stuttering, etc.

My modded one is about fixing those issues, more visual candy and a feel of speed (fast processing) when you move around. But like OPmind did, it's all editable.

Most issue fixed by removing CAP
    Fast processing feel: Catalyst AI Advanced
    Additional jerkiness and CTD for CrossFireX (CFX) fixed by disabling Powerplay settings.

fps is not everything. CAP to boost fps is dirty tricks, if they reveal to the world what they've done, we will probably see they crossed the streams like in Ghostbuster... It's bad!

8. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    Could you provide me the link to download your latest driver? i'm gonna give them a try.

9. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Lol, the answer is NO! You'll have to find it, and it's really hard! :rolleyes:

(... really it's a pity http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=331759)

10. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    Oh you have a thread for it i didn't saw it sorry, and thanks for the link.

11. Touche

Touche Member

GPU:
    ATI 4670 512MB
    Does this mean that the card allways stays at 3D clocks, even when idle in Windows?

Does it help for single card setups or is it for CFX only?

12. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    I didn't investigate it much, because I personally don't care about them staying in 3D clocks all the time because in 2D the load is very small, so no matter what, energy comsuption is small.

But from the CCC option (when shown), they label it as "Disable ATI CrossFireX power settings). So I suppose it only affect CFX, someone should check that with MSI Afterburner. It all depend what EnableUlps do to the driver coding. I'll do my own investigation on that later, when I have more time.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  13. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    157 core
    300 memory in 2D.

14. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    I tested it too with FurMark Multi-GPU, they still downclock in 2D. So this feature is very well implanted, fix CFX jerkiness and random crash to desktop I get in L4D2.

15. Touche

Touche Member

GPU:
    ATI 4670 512MB
    What does it do then in CFX, if 2D/3D clocks aren't affected? I'm trying to figure out what it does that it causes jerkiness.

16. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    yeah tis all gud, that, the second card is at those clocks wen powerplay is disabled

The power play feature in crossfire DISABLES the sencond card to 0mhz operation.

IF power play function is disable it will allways make the second card active BUT wen in 2d mode (desktop operations) will stay at those clocks.

IN other words to not make it confusing:

IF POWER PLAY: second card is at 0mhz disabled in desktop, some games wont activate at full speed in 3d apps

IF POWER PLAY DISABLED : sencond card active, low 2d clocks at desktop, and full speed at 3d clock (games, 3d apps etc)

17. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Seem to affect the way multi-gpu synchronize rendering between each others. Without EnableUlps enabled, second to fouth gpu may go in lower power states in 3D, affecting synchronization with primary card, that's my understanding.

Edit: xodius80 have it all.

18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    It's actually profiled command give > not understood by driver = Error > Error Correction > display --- and this chain slows down the processing and when
    the error correction cannot keep up and stresses the core too much you see these malformed effects. More there is OC in the concept more stiff the correction comes and so on.

Ideally this would be corrected by processing faster through as I've done here probably million times. The 'no profiles dummy' would result not redirected on
    CFX and not adjusted threading to GPU. Yes, it would as seem smoother looking result, but it does terrible job when we do multithreading and true
    pressure over 2 GPUs or with CPU intensive games which uses more than 2 GPUs. Unless the game actually understand to calculate through OCL or such like PhysX/CUDA.

2 cents

19. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    I have read that, I'll do some tests later and report back. But like most people I just want issues free gameplay first, performance but not at the cost of quality second. 163 fps in BC2 with jerkiness, fps drops and flickering? Random crash to desktop and hiccup in L4D2? Well I prefer my 143 fps BC2 issues free solution for the moment. Bonus it feel like I have 200 fps. And you know that if you come with something better I'll be the first one to applause and take it.

Edit: [​IMG]

I have done a lot of tests with FurMark Multi-GPU, modded driver default, +CAP, ULPS off, etc. The graphs are always like above, I can only suppose FurMark is not profiled but I can see a faint jerkiness when Powerplay is on, scores & fps stay the same. (My 4890 is not maxed out, that's normal, she wait for the 4850)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  20. alkhazali

alkhazali New Member

GPU:
    ATI Asus HD5970/2GB
    Hi Von Dach,

is your mod only for Win7?

Well I guess it's for Vista too, so I wonder why it didn't ask me for reboot on the end and why when I reboot manually I have still Standard VGA Display Adapter and CCC not started.