Kinect being marketed like a new console?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by arrrdawg, Nov 1, 2010.

1. arrrdawg

arrrdawg Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460m
    I remember reading about how microsoft would be treating kinect like a new console launch and with a $500 million marketing effort in effect I guess you can arguably say that is true. It just doesn't have the same vibe as new hardware though, at least not for me. They should've held off on releasing the slimmer 360 and used the time to improve the cooling and overclock the CPU/GPU and add more RAM. That's what Nintendo did to the gamecube and released it as the wii, and just as much time has passed since the release of 360 as gamecube to wii. Sell the addon too for existing users obviously and use the extra juice in the new console for higher resolutions or download-only games so as not to alienate the 360 user base with a 360+.

No add-on in the history of game consoles has even been successful enough to be adopted by the majority of it's user base and the target market are people that already don't have the console anyways. But I'm not a marketing guru so what do I know.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    It would be incredibly stupid for Microsoft to release an add-on that gave the 360 extra power.
    And I believe they have spent more than $500 on marketing the Kinect.

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well we only got two days to wait until the **** hits the fan and all those who bought the hype start complaining across the net.....loudly.... LOL

4. arrrdawg

arrrdawg Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460m
    Fixed, I meant $500 million. And I didn't mean an addon that gave the console power, but a new console with a little extra power (like the wii had over gamecube) and an addon for existing consoles that allowed to play kinect games but without the extra power. But yeah dumb idea anyways

We'll see how it pans out in a couple days I guess. I want it to fail just because the console generation doesn't need an extension, it's due for a refresh and PC gamers would benefit from a new generation of consoles

5. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Wont happen... There have been too many out there for testers, displays, etc and its a huge success. people who haven't pre ordered one will be hard pressed to get one for awhile. Read up on it, sales are way more than anyone expected. Amazon, Best buy etc are all out of stock, pre sale orders where unbelievable. That is not going to happen if the masses didn't see how the system would be with there own eyes. My local best has had a display up for months, my next door neighbor has had a pre released version to test it for the last 3 weeks and reported back to MS on it. There were test units send out to many and even people who won contests got early units. lets not forget the Kinect trailer that traveled the country. Lets not be tunnel visioned here, the unit is doing well because people have seen the tech already and have responded by record sales.

The hype is real... and reality in 2 days now. And for the record, i have the Move too.... and gave that kudos also... yet in my gut, this is what the future path is going to be. I for one look forward to Kinect being dropped off at my house on the 4th, you can believe that.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  6. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I await your review. I have only heard bad things and seen bad things and all the good thing that were said were before anyone other than Jimmy Falen had used one.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I tried Move, it was ok, but not much more than a HD wii to me.

I'm personally hoping for some PC drivers for it eventually, would be a perfect addition to my HTPC.

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Oh I'm not saying it wont sell the limited stocks MS have released for launch,(Playing the old supply is limited ploy), but once the novelty is over all that will be left is a HD Wii clone, the difference being with the Wii at least you have a controller for accessing different genres of games...i don't see how kinect is going to be able to do games like platform, FPS or anything that does not require you to stand and wave about yoiur arms...but i also think MS will ditch the whole controller free thing soon and make Kinect with games that requires a controller, when it becomes apparent that its limiting the types of games Kinect can do.

But thats just my opinion, only time will tell.

9. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Indeed. My opinion is we are seeing tech that will continue to grow and spawn into many new things. From voice recognition within games to emotions being picked up to make the immersion into games as surreal as they can be. I firmly believe that the Kinect we see today will be the catalyst and the forefront that will carry onto many new things.

Indeed time will tell. I for one am just glad to be a part of it.

10. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    The difference between the Wii and the Kinect is that on the Kinect you can virtually go get any object whether its a toy gun, pingpong paddle, tennis racket and pretend your actually playing..and its HD

I for one am getting it along with the 360 Slim Arcade 4GB Bundle. (I bought my old 360 in like Dec 24 2006?, the controller door is broken [fixed it last night] and there is no warranty because it is a replacement from my first RROD. The HDD's Warranty is voided cause I used a 250GB WD HDD on it.

I dont know if it will be that good..but a lot of younger kids are always over at my house, and the only thing they can play is the 360...we got rid of the toys..I'm not letting them use my PC as I think I used a total of $800 atleast in upgrade, and a few more hundreds on the other 2-3 computers. The fact is that the younger children LOVE the Wii..I can have the Kinect to take them out of my hands.

The exercising games look good too..use it on my lazy self to lose 10lbs

I see all of these people saying "oh this is crap", "real gamers dont want this", "why'd they make a *** thing like this." Well if that's your opinion then why waste your time looking at it, and talking about it?

I agree in an aspect on what kind of games the kinect can do..I checked some of the games going to be released...there are about 5 different sports game being released in the month of novemeber alone? I am really going to have to choose one to purchase meaning I will have to research before purchasing them. I'm not much of a FPS except for the iPhone ones..and maybe CS.

..oh forgot this is for my younger brother's birthday..

I look at it like this..the slim and kinect will be the last console I buy while I live in my parents house. I'm sure I won't be buying a new console until a few afters getting my place in a workforce/job.

I may just stick with computers now because of so much possibilities

11. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    well i have already received my Kinect with Kinect Adventures and Dance Central game...the system is amazing, no doubt about it..the detection is way ahead than the Wii, and better than the playstation move since your limited with only your hands in detection. Voice recognition is awesome as well. There are many endless possibilities with what can be made with this type of gaming hardware.... The Hype pretty much delivered from those preview game trailers i think .... now that i think about, its funny how many doubters tried to convince others otherwise that it was not going to achieve what it promised, well no worries anymore :infinity:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  12. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Looks to be getting some decent reviews. I may have to pick one up once there are more titles & some of the kinks are worked out. I certainly won't be an early adopter as I have loads of PC games yet to even put 30 mins worth of time into.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    All this hype with motion sensing is like with 3D TVs, just for novelty sake and doesn't really do much to really enhance your enjoyment. It's the fact that it's new that's why everyone's going after it.

If it weren't for the Wii, Microsoft and Sony wouldn't have gotten into motion sensing. I tried the Kinect on stage during the anime convention in Hong Kong and was slightly amused by it but it's nothing too special compared to the Wii. Only thing I liked was that it can read my whole body instead of my two hands with the Wiimote so it will make it a better device for dancing games like DDR.

deltatux

14. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Well said, spot on. i not only got The included game, but kinect sports, fitness evolved and Fighters Uncaged. The system is without a doubt amazing. I would love to know the ones who spoke badly about it that will be picking one up soon. Of course, that wouldn't ever be admitted im sure. Allot of words were eaten today that is for sure.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't really think the hype for this is like 3D at all, its not an add on for existing things, not in its present format anyway, but it has to start somewhere.
    It adds a whole new genre of games to the 360, and a whole new customer base(Women) who in the past wouldn't of dreamt of using an Xbox.

I have it coming as a birthday present, and while i don't think it will get much gaming use on my own, as i would feel abit of a tool, but for multimedia purposes, and when people are over, it will be alot of fun, and nothing wrong with abit of sociable gaming.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Nope my views on it still stand, i don't see any point in spending all that money to play wii game clones in HD, and just like the Wii once the novelty wears off this will be gathering dust, maybe once MS drop this ridicules controller free gaming nonsense and make the unit a accompaniment to the joypad then we might see some innovative games and use for it, but as present its offering nothing more then novelty Wii shovelware, its remains to see if gaming Dev's will spend money on producing a actual game that's innovative with kinect or just continue to **** out Wi clones as they have done here with the launch titles, Dance on rails, party, hit the ball, exercise videos, guff... .....but if your happy with it that's all that matter.....Enjoy.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    He was always going to say that though lol.

What it comes down to though is that, do you, or don't you want motion sensing or voice activated controls, if thats not your thing then avoid it, but Kinect is obviously way ahead of the wii, and Play, and to me looks very cool, and reminds me something out of a sci-fi movie.

I have to laugh at the console "elitists" complaining about this new poor control system, comments along the lines of "how can we play a FPS with this compared to using the superior gamepad" made me lol.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Funny i knew YOU were going to say that.

Is there a parrot in here, did i not say...."but if your happy with it that's all that matter.....Enjoy"

Nothing i can do about your blinkered views, if your think motion controlled FPS are going to be playable on the Wii, Kinect or Move then knock yourself out....Oh and i have played Kinect, i do have a Wii and yes i do have a Move......which must crimp your "Elitist" comments no ends, but please if your going to take another thread off topic and start your little petty bickering and name calling please don't, i have better things to with my time that piss up against a wall with you every time you appear upset in the console forum about somebody not having one off the wrist over a MS product....so lets leave the little name labeling little digs at others alone and keep the thread on topic which is Kinect, and not your views on others ok.....there a good chap.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Where is the name calling, all i said was "he would say that"

I never said FPS's would be playable with Kinect, Move, wii, i don't think they will be, not for another 5years probably, what i was said was those using controllers can't understand how it can be playable, and was making the comparison to how PC FPS players can't understand how a FPS with a controller can be playable

You said if your happy with party and dance games, nothing do do with motion sensing.
    If someone didn't want motion sensing games, they wouldn't be even be considering this, or Move, or a wii, tbh they wouldn't even be reading this thread, so why the hell are you?

You not planning to get it, and nothing will change your mind, so im unsure what use is your input in this thread?

20. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    They spent like $500 million on marketing...that was enough to give away 3 million kinect units at retail price...