James Cameron Announces 2 more Avatars

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Oct 31, 2010.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Originality is extremely hard to come by these days. PLUS do not forget Cameron wrote this back in 1994, but put it to one side because his vision for the film could not be realised with the current tech at the time.

2. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I thought Avatar was OK, that is it. The movie was way over-hyped and had an unoriginal plot. It's beyond me how this movie has made almost 3 billion dollars worldwide!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  3. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    And that's why it didn't even get an Oscar for being the best movie of the past twelve months.

4. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    my ass you studied the film.

Its jam packed with petty cultural references, childish story plot (please refer to unobtainium!, red neck army, super pure blue people!).

Its just the most bull**** film ever shot, then if you take camera views and perspective well avatar loses again to films like godfather and apocalypse now which didn't need bs 3d to convey REAL messages and REAL emotions.

Just compare the last scenes in the godfather 1, when Michael is baptising his son that scene is awesome and he tops it off with the retreating camera scene with the wife while the door closes which is just one of the best shots ever taken. Apocalypse now is then FULL of wary uneasy scenarios and Coppola just screws with your head ( scene when he is trying to find the CO, scene when they kill the cow and many others).

Avatar on the other hand is garbage, the most emotional scene is a cheap shot with 2 people ****ing after which an oversized tractor comes, or when the uber lame army decides to blow up the massive tree in the most retarded way possible, or the second uber battle which was soo boring I almost slept because one knew what was going to happen.

James Cameron is good at what he does which is pull the right strings at the right time but please don't call it a good film.

5. anotherzen

anotherzen Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC 1GB SLi

It might not be cool because most of it is based in reality, or made to look like
    its based in reality. Just like most of the other tech in Camerons movies. And
    you will clearly see designs that resemble the dropship, powerloader, ATV or
    the APC in Aliens for instance. The hard lines, functional and made to last kind
    of military style.

Might not be gorgeous to look at but it makes a lot more sense, and that
    itself is a good design.

atleast in my oppinion :)

And the 95% that is the rest of the movie is pretty good too. ;)

6. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    I haven't seen Avatar and it probably is a good movie, but your argument here isn't really helping. Most people listen to retarded music and well, hey, are pretty ****ing stupid. The whole "most ppl like it so something must be wrong with uuuu" argument is null. If anything it hurts your point.

:3

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Sequels FTW...

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    There's only two Pocahontas films so one will the 3rd avatar be based on. Such an awful film they should just burn it.

9. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Jeez, what's with all the people who think they're so clever to see that the storyline is like Pocahontas?
    So what that the storyline is alike? The execution is what matters, and that was done well imho. The ending was a little too disney-esque for my taste indeed, and the special effects were obviously the main attraction. In the end, I liked it.
    Seeing that Cameron is one of the few directors that can make a sequel that's better than the first one, this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

10. Andrés

Andrés Guest

You can't really compare "Avatar" with "The Godfather". They are different kinds of movies. One is a popcorn flick. The other is a drama. IMO, both are very good at their category. Having said that, "Avatar" is really a film where you can see the director's ability on various fronts. He's a great filmmaker. He has proven it in the past (refer to the opening credits for "Terminator 2" with the steel skull emerging from the fires for example, which to me is one of the most powerful and symbolic scenes in film history). He's got an eye for making great scenes. I don't consider myself a blind fan but I like to acknowledge when a director does something that not everyone can do. The storyline of "Avatar" is crap, I agree, but the way he carried it, detail by detail, plane by plane, scene by scene, is excellent. I can't imagine what would have Uwe Boll done with the same story and resources for example.

Overall, I'll too call it a good film. If I want to see a good popcorn movie, "Avatar" is a candidate.

11. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Avatar was crap on so many levels. Its only saving grace was it had some good 3D.

And Cameron should STFU, he didn't invent 3D, who does he thing he is to slag on anyone using it.

To me Avatar is Like Titanic, saw then both one time, have no drive to watch them again.

12. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    What it seems to come down to is suspension of disbelief.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

8.3 rating on IMDB? Obviously a fair amount of people disagree, and I have to say I'm one of them. I enjoyed Avatar, I am of a mind that it's the sort of movie that needs to be watched at the cinema to be appreciated, however.

Tried watching it at a friends on bluray, 40" HDTV and it just wasn't the same. Can't say I'm head over heels about sequals mind you, the movie really did work on the merits of its visual effects more than anything else. That said, have you looked into the origional script? The movie would have been much better if they'd stuck to it imo.

14. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    And?

Halo has a higher rating than Half-Life on Meta-critic, you can't really trust sites that pile scores together.

15. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    the only good thing about avatar is good utilizing of 3d technology , in another word good eye candy , everything else was crap , the story is ripped of so many other movies and the acting is mediocre , it felt more like a disney cartoon but in 3d , IMHO it had one of the worst stories ever.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    3D came long before James Cameron....and it's still just as much a gimmick now, as it was when it first appeared.... It will continue to be nothing but a cheap gimmick until 3D capable devices become truly mainstream....which will take a couple decades as the prices are too high for most of the world to afford.

It's kind of like General Motors.... Best selling automobiles worldwide, but also rated as the least reliable on the market.

I've got friends that saw it in both 3D and 2D.....all said the 3D version was nothing but a cheap gimmick. Everyone has their own "taste"....doesn't really matter what you think or any film class teaches....every viewer is different.

Uwe Boll directed "In the Name of the King"....which was an excellent movie if you paid attention to the plot and story line instead of the generic shots that appeared to have been taken from other movies he's directed.

James Cameron originally started trying to do "Avatar" under a different title back in the mid-late 90's....no studio would touch it. He decides to steal the title from a Japanese cartoon and suddenly every studio wants to shoot it... Oh well, M. Night Shamalan did the same thing.....except he stole the entire cartoon... "The Last Airbender"....Japanese cartoon title: "Avatar: The Last Airbender". If you really think Uwe Boll is bad.....watch "The Happening"....absolute worst movie I've ever seen.

17. Andrés

Andrés Guest

I said "for example". If you disagree pick the bad director of your choice. You know what I meant.

18. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    It was very entertaining for the eyes, but other than that it was skippable. I won't be going to see the second one in the cinema, that's for sure.

19. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    they are probably the same people who think the movie dark night was good

20. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    It was good because of the Joker, I liked the Nights Tale movie, but I didn't think Heath had it in him to play someone like that; but he made it believable, I could honestly believe that was a person called the Joker, and not an actor.