Afterburner 2.1.0 Beta 1 (2010-10-11)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 12, 2010.

1. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Try to run Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode or install it under admin account. Hope it helps.

2. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    Thanks msi-afterburner works now with the Windows XP SP3 compatability mode.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's a semi-solution returning you back to UAC popup confirmation on each startup, doing so you just disable the task scheduler usage (because it is not used in XP), the same effect can be reached by setting .cfg entry "StartupViaTaskScheduler" to 0. TRue solution would be finding out what exactly is blocking adding the task to the scheduler on that PC (can be system security software, reduced user priveleges and so on).

4. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    I have UAC turned off and have full Admin access. I get the error message when i close the programme, and like i said i only get this with 2.0.0 2.1.0 the 1.6.1 runs great with no problems. Also like to mention with 2.0.0 and 2.1.0 having OSD open in Fifa 11 it crashes, but that might be to do with the error i get. It is also added to my firewall.

5. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    I have no problem running OSD with FIFA 11 , so there must be some conflict on your system

OEPS ! didn't notice that :gape:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  6. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Is there anything in particular that needs help with further testing?

7. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Did some testing no problems except one.

The RTSS 4.0.0.0 server crashes my Call of duty 5 online game.
    I get the error : "unhandled exception" and game crashes.

I noticed that it has got something to do with the stereoscopic 3D driver from NVIDIA. If i don't enable stereoscopic 3D there is no problem. (But I need it , I play in 3D with shutter glasses) If I remove this 3D driver the problem is also gone. (tried differend drivers , 260.63 , 260.89 , 260.78 quadro all the same problem)

If I remove the RTSS 4.0.0 out of the MSIAfterburner install folder and replace it with the 3.7.2 there is no problem but you can not use the video capturing mode then , I believe the 4.0.0 makes this possible.

So this is the only problem I have , all other games work online , maybe there is a work around to solve this problem or maybe it is just the game.

Cheers.

8. Unwinder

Does it happen during capture video only or during usual OSD usage?

9. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    During usual OSD usage.(only thing that is showing in OSD is FPS)

If I enable my stereoscopic 3D setting in the NVIDIA CP and play with the shutter glasses on there is no problem. But when I disable the stereoscopic 3D and play without the 3D effect, the game crashes. Now I'm back on the 2.0.0 Afterburner with the 3.7.2 RTSS and all runs smooth again.

There must be a conflict with the 3D driver , if you don't install it or don't run it there is no problem.
    It's wierd , the problem only occurs after you enabled the 3D stereo and then disabled it again so you can play in normal mode. And only with this game Call of duty world at war.
    Call of duty 4,6 , medal of honor , Dirt2 , Lara Croft , FIFA 11 etc.. they have no problem with it.

It's no biggy , just that I still play COD 5 a lot , i've gotta say that COD 5 had a few bugs in it causing the error code , after patch 1.7 the problem should have been gone , hotkey's ,online voicechat , all these things were causing the error code in the beginning.

In the other games, video capture mode worked superb !

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  10. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    hello guys, I apologize now for my bad English ...
    there is a problem with the latest beta, some games crash if the application detection level is turned on (low medium high) but if I turn it off and apply the 3D profile manually before starting the game, everything is fine.
    games that are the problem: lost planet 2 and Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2
    you see my system and runs on Win 7 Ultimate x64. thx

11. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    the application detection level is turned on ? What is that ? :stewpid:

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thanks i love this program just for the fan control.

13. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    It's in MSI On-Screen Display Server.

14. Unwinder

Good news. First, I've almost finished implementation of full AMD RADEON 68xx family support so I hope that we'll release new beta including core voltage control via CHL8214 and effective low-level monitoring for 68xx series really soon, probably even tomorrow. Second, during the last weeks I've invested a lot of time into polishing our new video capture engine. The most important changes/improvements include the following things:

- Now the frames are stored into compression queue in raw 3D application’s pixel format and converted to 24-bit RGB color space by compression threads explicitly before the compression process. Previously color space conversion was performed directly in 3D application’s renderer thread context before sending a frame to the compression queue. New implementation minimizes 3D application’s framerate decrease during capturing video due to moving the conversion tasks from 3D renderer to compression threads. Some other trick (improved memory management, minimized extra RGB<->BGR swapping etc) have been also implemented to improve situation in this area.

- Due to pipelined nature of 3D rendering process, each frame capture iteration results in stalling rendering pipeline and forcing the GPU to finish all queued rendering requests before the frame can be transferred from GPU to CPU and processed by it. This results in rather serious variations in frame rendering times caused by periodic pipeline flushing during capturing a frame, especially considering that graphics driver’s internal pre-rendering techniques are in use. For example, if you’re using default graphics driver settings configured to pre-render 3 frames ahead and recording video at 30 FPS (i.e. capturing a frame each 33ms), then graphics card should flush up to 3 pre-rendered frames from the queue each time new frame for is about to be grabbed (i.e. each 33ms in our case) then re-fill the pipeline. It is not an issue when VSync is disabled and framerate is rather high (so single frame time is much lower than 33ms), your eyes simply won’t notice a delay caused by periodic pipeline flush. However, it can be really noticeable in form of heavy stuttering when VSync is enabled. Some competing commercial video capture tools just leave it as is, providing really high framerate when recording video with VSync disabled but causing bad stutter when recording video with VSync enabled. Other tools use smarter approach and forcibly flush rendering pipeline on each frame, even when frame is not supposed to be captured, to provide smoother framerate. Afterburner used the second approach in the previous version, but now the pipeline flushing can be forcibly disabled via configuration file now allowing you to compare "apples to apples" when analyzing performance of different video capture tools.

- Now video encoder library comes with configuration file allowing you to enable detailed logging, showing how many CPU time is eaten by video capture in host (i.e. 3D application) thread, in assembler thread and in all compressor threads. Such performance profiling tool allows to identify the bottlenecks easily, as well as allows you monitoring the effect of changing different encoding related options.

- I've developed my own RTV1 and RTV2 (RivaTuner Video V1 and RivaTuner Video V2) video codecs in addition to Motion JPEG codec used in the previous version. The codecs are heavily optimized for MMX/SSE2 and provide much better encoding performance (RTV1 is roughly 7 times faster than MJPG, RTV2 is roughly 2.5 times faster) whilst keeping rather good compression ratio (6x for RTV1 and 8x-12x for RTV2). Those codecs would be optimal choice for slow dual-core CPU owners, for example on my old dual-core E6600 I can encode MJPG video at 1680x1050 at 30FPS in half frame size only, whilst RTV1 provides smooth 30FPS video in full frame size. But these new codecs have drawbacks too - they are based on lossy DXTC compression algorithms so image quality artifacts can be noticed on gradient color areas or in too contrast color areas. The codecs are not required to be installed during recording, but they are required to play video encoded in RTV1/RTV2 format. The installer is not installing the codec yet, you have to manually copy its' .DLL from .\Bundle\OSDServer\Codec\ folder to %WINDIR%\System32 folder (or %WINDIR%\SysWOW64 in case of 64-bit OS) and run included .REG file to register it in the system).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  15. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Thanks Unwinder for all the hard and good work!!! :D

16. Bertiex

Bertiex New Member

17. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
  18. Bullu$

Bullu$ Master Guru

GPU:
    R290X CFX@1050/1350
    Thanks for the beta 2, but somehow when I set the clocks (doesn't matter how much or low), several sec. later I got a bsod. The core clocks does change.

Also voltage is working and gpu2 got 100% load (I think it is the ati powerplay with crossfire)

[​IMG]

using crossfire

without cfx I can overclock , no bsods
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  19. Bertiex

Bertiex New Member

this is what unwinder said

did you flash your 6850 with 6870 bios maybe that causes bsod

20. Bullu$

Bullu$ Master Guru

GPU: