Asus GTS 450 = FAIL

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Shagula, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    So my new Physx card came in the mail today, i was in the process of installing it when i realized the fan wouldn't move. Turns out its wedged up against the fins and wont spin. Not happy one little bit. Cant see how to fix the thing myself either. It looks like the fan has just been mounted too far from where it should be as the little black bars that hold the cover on look like they've snapped away from the fans frame. Good quality control Asus. Sure this is the first time i've had a broken on arrival Asus product but how can this get through quality control? Or lack there of :bang:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last 2 pictures clearly show the top quality construction. Fail.

2. heaven's_dragon

heaven's_dragon Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 460 1gb
    bad luck ...... :( guess u have to rma it

on a side note good close-ups shots :p

3. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    lol thanks. Almost the first time i've used the camera too. Its a FujiFilm W3. I accidentally took all the photos in 3D at first and uploaded them then had to take them all again :bang:

4. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan
    It's more likely it was damaged through poor packaging or transportation. It looks like the fan has been forcably move to the right.

5. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    I thought that at first but the box is in perfect condition. The surround frame is perfect as well and it all lines up. The only thing that isn't right is the fan position. Pain in the ass, i hate mailing stuff back :bang:

6. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    I just rammed a pen in it and nudged the fan and it moved back into position so im going to super glue it back instead of sending it back lol. If you didn't say that Zooze i never would have found a fix and waited 2 weeks for it to come back in the mail so cheers ;)

7. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    how hot does it get on those fins, glue might just melt

8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    And that glue might then cause other problems and void warranty. Just send it back to Asus.

9. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan
    No problem :) so the fan now spins up fine?

Kindest regards

Zoozer

10. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    If you're going to try and fix it yourself then Don't use super glue.

Get a tube of quick dry, two part liquid epoxy from the hardware store. Mix together and dab a little on the broken fan post using a tooth pick.

11. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    I used 2 part bonding epoxy stuff and then put super glue over the top for good measure lol. I think the join is now stronger than the rest of the plastic :)

12. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    First it isn't a PhyX card, it is a video card that you are going to use as a phyx card. Secondly, it is a simple fix, stop with the drama... You know how minor of a problem that really is? Your thread title is nothing but negative GTS 450 drama attention seeking crap!!

13. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    I'm not going to stoop to arguing with you about what you just said. Simple fix or not theres nothing more irritating than paying good money for something and having it delivered broken, then having to send it back at a cost to you while they check it and fix it then mail it back to you. It was delivered broken when it shouldn't have been, i have every reason to be negative.

14. Halli

Halli Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX465 Bios 470
    If you can't say anything Mature then Please refrain from Posting!!!

I quite enjoyed the post and the pics leading to his remedy as you can clearly see the broken plastic dowels that the screws went thru of which appears to have been over tightened at factory.

15. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    Thankyou! :)

On a positive note now that the card is no longer broken its working quite well.

In Batman AA with my settings i used to get

FPS Min: 40 Max: 120 Avg: 85

And with the 450 as dedicated Physx i now get

FPS Min: 69 Max: 121 Avg: 108

When i flash the game up in 3D mode the difference is less pronounced as the FPS are far lower BUT its completely playable... Much more so than without the added grunt so im pretty happy now :) If anyone is curious when running the Batman benchmark the 450 at max gets utilized at about 18% and another curious thing i noticed is that Afterburner is reporting its using the same amount of ram as the other 2 cards in SLI.

16. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    So the plastic black cover wasn't in place? Interesting.. wonder how this could happen..

Since you've fixed it, good job, but next time just RMA it, with an "I'm dissapointed" letter.. they might have gave you a 460 for replacement :p

17. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Yep better rma !

18. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    I could do with another 460 to be honest as i just broke one of mine :bang:

The black plastic cover was exactly where its supposed to be, its just the 4 plastic tubes that come down from it and screw into the fan frame had snapped in the middle. So the fan and its frame had slid to the side. When i realised that was all that was wrong a bit of bonder and super glue fixed it nicely, better than waiting a week or a few weeks for a warranty fix.

And as to how i broke the 460... My partner came out to say good morning before with my 5 month old son. She comes over holding him, gives me a kiss. says to him "Say hi daddy", then he proceeds to laugh and throw his teething fish (Its a stupid plastic thing) he's holding into the air which bounces off the wall and straight onto my open test bed... Picture a video card fin flying through the air and a few more bent fins and you have one mighty pissed off Shagula. So far this weekend, my GTS 450 came broken, my Xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows stopped working and now i broke a GTX 460... Sadly i don't think bonder/glue is going to help solve this new problem... If nothing else, i hope reading this at least makes someone feel happier about their day... :bang:

19. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    For anyone that thinks im just BS'ing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    YES, FAIL.

And because my choices are to laugh or cry at the moment i took some photos of it in 3D... Wonder if im the first person ever to take a 3D photo of a videocard with a broken fan eh... If you have a 3D monitor rename them to ".MPO" and open with Nvidia 3D Vision Photo Viewer for a laugh i guess (Make sure to set the photo prog to scale to your monitors screen size otherwise it will looks stupid. Not that it doesn't already, who wants GTX 460 with a broken fan?! *Sigh* :bang:

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/Shagula69/DSCF01313D.jpg
    http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/Shagula69/DSCF01333D.jpg

Photos taken with a FujiFilm W3...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  20. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    have you tried running the video like it is and monitored the temps? one little fan thingy missing might not make a big difference....or mabey it will. i would at least try it!
    If it works then laugh about it. if not, go ahead and cry, ill lend you a shoulder ;)